BC Boards

Water

I need a little advice here. I know that water is so important for the dogs to always have available to them, and during the day I keep the bowls full (and they let me know when they've emptied it!). However, if Zoe drinks a lot during the night or late in the evening (as she is prone to do) she tends to wake me up once or twice in the middle of the night, desperately needing to pee. We also worry about leaving them in their crates for extended periods with a full bladder, especially Zoe - but at the same time I don't want to leave them without water either.

What do you all do? Do you limit their water intake at night and when you won't be there to let them out?

I think it would be okay to cut back on the water during the night if it will keep their bladders healthy. I do that with my 7 month old pup whom I have to leave for at least 10 - 11 hours each night in his crate because I work graveyards and he does pretty well. Not lethargic or anything when I come home to let him out and he doesn't immediately run for the water bowl so I know he's okay. I think they would hardly become dehydrated in just 8 or so hours with no water unless it's 80+ degrees where you keep their crates. The best way to check for dehydration in your dog is to pull the skin up on the back of the neck and if it falls down immediately, they are okay. If it takes a second to fall back into place, that is a sign of dehydration.

Try it for a couple of nights and see how it goes.

I have always let my girls have their last drink of water about 8:00 pm and bedtime is at 10:00 pm.

They have never shirveled up overnight and we all get to sleep.

If your not doing any hard play or training at night I don't see it being a problem. Zoe will get used to it in no time.

A lot of books I've read etc all say to take their water bowls up at around 6pm (or apx 4 hours before bed time). I leave Bailey's water bowl down until last thing but I dont fill t up after 6, unless he's been playing really hard or something and is in desperate need of a long drink. I had trouble getting him to go throughthe night with his feeding times though. The only thing that works for him is to eat once a day in the evening, its just a case of seeing what times work best for your dog.

Natalie,

I see nothing wrong with taking water up, but if she's drinking excessively and whining for more it may be wise to have your vet run some tests just to make sure there's not a medical condition causing her to want to drink more (for example, excessive desire for water/water consumption is often a sign of diabetes--which isn't likely Zoe's problem, but I think for peace of mind I would have a physical done in addition to limiting water. JMO.)

J.

Our vet had us take away Dazzle's water about 30 minutes to an hour before bed when she was a pup because she seemed to be having to go out a TON right before bed.

But before that we did have her tested to make sure she wasn't drinking all that water for a reason (turns out she is just half duck :rolleyes: ).

But if all is good you can either limit the water before bed, or take it away altogether right before bed.

Madison had a bladder problem as a young pup so the vet actually suggested she cut her back to only a cup of water a day (which is what she should have drank at that size, as opposed to the 2 litres she was).

I would recommend you talk to your vet about the dogs, especially if they are always thirsty and need to pee constantly. They could have a bladder infection like madison did

nes.

with our dogs they have always gotten us up in the midnite of the nite to go potty, i just use it to get me midnite snack of cookies from the from the cookie jar. as far as leaving water down we have always left it down in the mornings they have an hour to get ready before they go in her crate and when she is out is when she drinks. with the crate they see at is a time to rest not play so she does not need to drink as much!!!