BC Boards

The other half wants to compete, I fear he's going to flame out...

but I would imagine there would have to be some kind of rule in place on allowing two people running one dog in different classes.

I can't run the dog competively if he does at that trial. I can continue to run him in Pro-novice since I have never run him Open, when I do that then Wayne can't run the dog at those trials (except exhibition and only after my competitive run). The only time a dog can be run competitively twice in a day is if one handler is a youth. When we put our club rules together we tried to work it out so that family members could share a dog, they are penalized by doing it (reducing the number of points they could earn for year end), but we allow it. We also have a clause in our rules allowing the trial committee to move a person up if we feel they are sandbagging. And, we have a move down clause to allow someone to move down if they go 2 years without earning points (they have to enter 75% of the trials during that time). Basically, we don't have hard and fast class rules, we try to be flexible so that we can encourage family members to enter and give it try.

Deb

And pray like h*ll that he doesn't kick your a** because you'll never near the end of it!

OMG, reality just set in, if he does well he's going to want to run Jake in all the rest of the trials this season...I won't have another dog that will be ready to run pro-novice probably until fall. My next prospect, Jake Jr. is only a year old and I don't want to push him :D

He even practiced his shedding again last night :rolleyes::D ...then he paid me a compliment as to how nice of a job I did training his dog...aw man...guess it's time to start over.

Oh believe me, I've had quite the learning curve on this one and SEVERAL training sessions where one us stormed back to the barn and didn't talk to the other for a long, long time LOL.

Yeah, I was gonna say, some men just have to be treated that way, if you want to live with them! Kudos to Jaime, though, I'm takin notes!!! :rolleyes:

What are you charging your DH for training his dog???????

Mark

Paid for training his dog....hmmm...I guess I've been getting the privilage to run him in the trials...up until this weekend anyway :rolleyes:

Do you think he will honor it if I sent him a bill?

Deb

If he wins the bet with his friends (or places in the trial); be sure to remind him in front of everyone who trained his dog and then ask for your cut of his winnings or ask (in front of everyone) when he will be paying your fee for training his dog.

Mark

Can we trade hubbys? I can't drag mine onto a trial course for love or money even though he has a decent dog (two, actually, if he'd work a bit with Cordy), and HE'S talented to boot. Like natural. Like what I'll never be.

I wouldn't care, but if he upgraded his handling under the pressure of competition, he'd save a lot of steps around here. And he'd save his dogs a lot of hassle.

BUT, however cringeworthy it all is, I was told by no less than two different trainers a while back, that a dog once "claimed" by one spouse, should never cross the line for any reason. No matter how far along I got in training, I should never give unsolicited advice. And definitely the words "I told you so" should never be a part of any dog conversation.

It's sure hard not to, though! I did fudge the rules a bit when Gus lost his hearing - but I took him for a set time as "my dog", put the training on him, then told Patrick what to do and went in the house when he worked with Gus.

And Cord crossed the line from me to him when we realized that Cord was actually asking to be worked by Patrick, where he'd simply run off if I opened my mouth. He's a guy's dog, poor pup, and he's been trained and handled by women ever since his first owner passed away. I told Patrick that I wasn't even going to tell Patrick what to do if he ASKED me, since everything I tried with Cord failed miserably. I told him there was no possible way he could ruin Cord so just do whatever felt right.

That was the best thing to happen to DH and his confidence working. Cord will never do anything worse than run away and that doesn't make Patrick mad like it does me. DH's biggest problem was being inconsistent and kind of scared to do something for fear of triggering a rodeo.

Even though I know it's going great and I see so much progress with both of them, it's SO hard to keep myself from pushing him to improve even further. So I just turn around and go in the house, after complimenting him on how great Cordy looks. :rolleyes:

Trade hubbys...funny. I think the best think I ever did was to pull the engagement ring off, hand it back and say never. We work together, we live together, we operate as individuals and have good healthy fights :rolleyes: . I tell him how I see it, I ask for his honest opinion and we move on. Yeah there are times he does not want to hear what I have to say, that his problem, and there are times that I don't want to hear what he has to say, that's my problem. I've found that he will throw out nasty little terms like "know it all" but it's more to protect himself, it's more out of frustration because right at that time, he has a problem, I was willing to share the answer or my take on the subject and he just didn't want to hear it. Eventually though, if I have the key to his delimma, he comes around, same is true if he has the answer to mine. Right now, I hold the key to his dog...so I have the advantage :D , once he takes over and starts to make the dog his own were he has the key to his dog, then he will have the advantage and his dog will be his dog. There is a transition, we had the same deal with our horses, when the horse started to click with one of us the other would step aside, but still offer technical support, I might step on his horse to see if I had the same problem and what I would do to get through it, and he would do the same with mine.

As depressing as it is, if Jake gets clicking good with Wayne I will just step aside, but still offer tech support if he gets a sticky button, or needs a module replaced. But I also know that if Jake and Wayne just don't get clicking Wayne will step aside and throw the keys back at me, probably hard to. :D

Just got in a about an hour ago from the festival...I guess I better start calculating my training fee. Wayne and Jake went out there, nearly nailed the obstacle work aside from a bobble while turning the post, a few of us were watching from overhead up in the annoucers booth, it was scary pretty, I don't think Wayne had to stop him until he got to the shedding area. He got to the shed and within a few seconds had a split defined, Jake came in to take the sheep, and then Wayne flanked him back out :rolleyes: (oh no!), sheep went back together. They tried it again got to the same point but Jake initiated and flanked back out, Wayne missed getting him stopped. Long story short, they were not able to get the shed but they still did really well. Sounds like the plan right now is Southern Iowa Cattle Trial on Saturday, then if he has a good go on to Southeastern on Sunday. If Jake lives through the two cattle trials then on to the Tingley trial. Wayne's got two weeks to problem solve his shed...or is it, I have one week.. leaving Wayne one week to learn how to run the machine :D

It's kinda nice to have him looking forward to the next trials and actually mention that he is noticing some things he needs to work on, with himself (OMG).

The bummer part of the weekend, I took my camera, charged the battery and left it sitting in the trailer (arrrgh!!!)

Now it's off to bed...

Deb