BC Boards

Playing hard

Our border collie just loves to play with large balls. After trying various types of balls we have been getting her "Jolly Balls" from a farm store which last less than a month so it is a pretty costly toy. First she removes the handles and then she slowly tears pieces off the ball as she hangs on to them running and shaking them.

Does anyone have any suggestions re: balls that can stand up to the rough play of a very strong border collie. She is actually a small girl....only 32lbs., but is very powerful when it comes to playing with a ball.

I don't know, either. So I'm interested in hearing the suggestions.

I don't know how big you can get a Cuz, but that is the only thing my guy hasn't torn up yet.

My dog, who's NOT destructive when it comes to his toys - he takes great care of all his dozens of stuffies, has amputated the handle from the largest Jolly Ball and undid the knot and taken off the rope of the smaller one so many time that we just gave up putting it back on. This happening only during supervised play and all while running :rolleyes: So unfortunately the Jolly Balls won't ever get my vote again.

Our BC loves ANY ball she get get her paws on. They say BC all need a job to do - hers is to fetch and play with any ball 24/7/365!!! She loves her jolly ball which is the only ball that seems to last long enough without being completely destroyed, but even that is slowly coming to an end. She is small herself, 31 lbs, but has a knack for destroying any toy with in days or weeks. The jolly ball for now seems to be sufficient, but will keep my eye on this thread to see if someone has any ideas...

The Triple crown fantastic foam ball has been tested by the powerful jaws of my ACDS and survived the test. My ACDS will destroy a tennis ball in 5 minutes and tear a rubber ball to pieces in 10.

The fantastic foam ball is light, bounces, floats and withstands vigourous chewing. My friend uses them for her Rotties. The cuz is also quite good and is a favourite of my young ACD because it squeaks, but I dont think it will last like the foam balls

My Oreo's favorite ball is also named Jolly Ball, but it is a hard plastic, with no handles. His original blue ball is 6 years old, going strong. It's too big to get his mouth around, and he pushes it violently with his nose and paws instead. You have to watch out for feet , walls and furniture though, so it's now banished to basement play.

Absolutely the toughest dog toys I've ever found are made by Aussie Dog. They also make horse toys and supply toys to zoos.

They aren't cheap, but their tough products are seriously as close to indestructible as I've ever found. The Enduroball is hard and not nice to kick barefoot, but our dogs love it, and the one I bought in 2003 is still sitting in our house paddock, where it's stayed in all weather, getting daily bashings from a big pack of collies and kelpies and a very hard mouthed cattle dog. The cattle dog has carved some tooth grooves in it, but otherwise it's as good as new.

We also have a hard Mitch ball, which lives in the backyard and can be bitten and carried by strong jawed dogs, but doesn't puncture. The soft Mitch ball only lasted a year or so before my cattle dog fanged it good and proper.

Also a few Turbo chooks (not the heavy duty ones, just the standard), also bought in 03/04, and one has finally had its tail torn off a couple of weeks ago. They are insanely tough- our very hard tugging dogs spend hours dragging each other around on the turbo chooks.

And we have a selection of the smaller balls and tug toys (I think they call them "thongs"), balls on ropes, the "slapathong" (a stick shaped tugger), a Home Alone toy (a tugger which hangs from a tree and can be baited with food- some dogs love it and others couldn't care less) and a frisbee. The red frisbees are excellent, very tough and fly really well, but don't float. I've lost a few in dams and river. The blue frisbees are even better to throw, dogs don't tend to bite their tongues using them, and they float, but they rip fairly easily with vigorous tugging. Our last blue frisbee died last year, and we only have one red one left (the others drowned).

Believe it or not, I don't have shares in the company (or any link with them), but I should after all the toys I've bought from them. They seriously do make some very tough toys. I haven't bought anything from them since probably 2005, and most stuff is still in great condition.

Though not as big as a jolly ball, one kind that I've found to be really tough are the red rubber balls made by KONG. My dogs normally destroy everything too but they've had a Kong ball for a long time and haven't damaged it at all.

Absolutely the toughest dog toys I've ever found are made by Aussie Dog. They also make horse toys and supply toys to zoos.

All I have to say is Wow! These guys are awesome. I just put in an order for a medium Tugathong. Mal goes through rope tugs in about a week (all with supervised play), he is just a very rough tugger. At one point our local target had just simple 10" rope toys for 99c. You can imagine the cashiers suprise when we bought 10 of them! They have since discontinued the product, and all of ours are destroyed but we mya have finally found our answer. Thank you so much, you saved us!

all of ours are destroyed but we mya have finally found our answer. Thank you so much, you saved us!

Glad to help! I hope you do enjoy the tugger- we have one of those too- the plastic handle is a bit hard, but it is practically indestructible.

I have a question. How long can you play the ball or Frsibee with your dog and when it's enough is enough to stop? I know it's silly but my mother is an old-fashioned woman. She thinks it's strain on his heart b/c he was panting when I only play the ball or/and Frisbee for about ten to fifteen minutes!!! I kept telling her the reason why he was so panting b/c he was running a lot and his body is trying to cool it off like air-conditioner inside the body and nothing to do with straining on his heart. He's TWO years old for cry out aloud! Yes, if he had a heart problem like previous Border Collie we had and I wouldn't make him too hard on playing the ball or/and Frisbee. I figured he was panting more (he's my third Border Collie) b/c he's big and heavy that he have to carry extra weight from running so much than my first Border Collie who does panting but she seemed to know how to control of herself than my third Border Collie who happens to be a male and only weight 51 pounds. My fourth Border Collie (she's hearing impaired) is a female and only weight 30 pounds and she does panting but she is so light and does not carry extra weight as her big brother does. What do you think? When I mentioned to someone who does not have a dog yet but she's pediatrician so she knows a lot about heart and breathing. She said he will stop when he get tired which my dog does when I wear him out from playing a ball or/and Frisbee. The reason I ask you guys who have Border Collies and tell me what you think so I get my mother off my back b/c she always scold me for wearing him out. Am I making sense? Please let me know since I'm hearing impaired and I'm not very good with the grammer! :0)

Thanks!

I have a question. How long can you play the ball or Frsibee with your dog and when it's enough is enough to stop? I know it's silly but my mother is an old-fashioned woman.

It's not a silly question at all. The concern for a healthy Border Collie will not be their hearts but rather over-heating. Do not assume your dog will know when he needs to take a break. I've known a couple of dogs who died while playing fetch. It doesn't even need to be a hot day. Humid and low 70's can do a dog in. Literally.

Be careful with your pal. Have water out for him to drink and shade where he can rest. Keep bouts of play short as the temps and humidity rise. Quinn is in great shape and can be on the go all day, but I limit him to 10 throws or even fewer at a time when it is hot and/or humid. A few years ago, three dogs I know died of heat stroke so I'm pretty freaky on the subject. It is a terrible death.

My younger girl absolutely adores the Aussie Dog Enduroball. I have to put it away when I am not supervising her otherwise she would run herself into the ground with it.

But like mjk05 my girls play with all there toys and I mostly have all of the ones I have ever bought. A few thongs toys have gone by the wayside as I decided they needed replacing and one or two got killed.

Seek destroys every toy she's ever had, except for a soccer ball. They are too big to get their mouth around to pop, but she also loves chasing it.

The only ball that Annie has been unable to destroy (at least, to date) is a fully-inlfated (or slightly over-inflated) size 5 soccer ball with a relatively smooth non-leather outer surface. She chases it around the yard with her nose and paws, but is unable to get a grip with her teeth, as the ball is too large for her mouth. (A size 3 or size 4 does not work; they are just small enough for her to grip with her teeth.) When she goes with me to Special Olympics, she will play soccer with the Special Olympians using this ball size; works every time...

Caution: Do NOT use a soccer ball in the house, unless you are heavily insured and have removed all breakable objects below a height of 6 feet. (Yes, that is the sad voice of experience speaking...)

My younger girl absolutely adores the Aussie Dog Enduroball. I have to put it away when I am not supervising her otherwise she would run herself into the ground with it.

Aw, your poor garden!! I love the pouncing moves over the vegetation.

Kenzie would fit in well here- here's a clip I just remembered of a few of our boys at work on the Enduroball:

(warning- 1 minute 33 secs of maternal schmaltz at the start of the clip, but you can skip to 1.33 and miss it, and rude word in soundtrack song, so please turn it down if likely to be offended)

Hahaha, those videos are adorable, both one of Kenzie and the one mjk05 posted - the dogs are so careful with your little boy, they're delightful to watch.

The smaller Jolly Ball with rope no more in the middle can easily be used in the same way, I doubt dogs could rip that apart - it's the one with the handle that is easily comestible :rolleyes:

Kenzie also likes her jolly ball - the one with the rope through the middle. That one is safe enough to leave out in the yard with her. The other problem I have with the enduroball is the fact we have a multi-level garden completed with a creek (although it is semi fenced off) so I don't really want her pushing it down there and it being washed away :rolleyes:. There is also plenty of vegetation for it to get lost is. She is funny if she loses it down to the lower level as she then stands there barking at it until you go and retrieve it.

ETA. I think Kenzie would be jealous of having dogs to play with mjk05. She was trying to round her sister up this afternoon and she wasn't to keen on it. Have a sheep herding day on Saturday and looking forward to it. Last time she tried sheep she was only just over 6 months old and lacking confidence so will be interesting to see how she goes now at 14 months.

Shetland ~

Thanks for the advice! Yes, my dog Nicky had experienced with heatstrokes last Fall. It was kind of scary experience! It's so strange that time it was in evening and the air was very cool enough to make goose bumps on my arms but he collapsed with heatstroke twice (this is the first dog I have experienced with heatstrokes and the previous dogs I have never have heatstrokes) and I forced him to lie down for a long time and I put the water on his head and I think on his body (I can't remember if I did) and put some in his mouth to cool him off careful. I was lucky that he didn't died from it at that time. I never play very long with him if it's hot and humid. Someone told me on this board last Fall the way you know when you stop your Border Collies when their tongue turning to curl at the edge of the tongue. I always watch that after that. Even I watched that and my mother is still scolding me about Nicky panting too hard. I was like and told her "OH, he should not have panting at all?! The reason he panting a lot was b/c the body is cooling off and he was running very fast to catch the Frisbee!!!" I told her it's good that he's panting so his body is cooling off and it's suppose to do! The reason I was asking before about how long to play with him. So, I'll just have to tell my mother nicely "HUSH!" and stop being so difficult when I know what I'm doing. I have told her that I have talk with you guys recently and last Fall, too. I think she forgot all about it last Fall that I told her what someone told me about the tongue sign. Aaah! I wish it was easier! :0) I don't know.

Bess likes to push a stainless steel bowl around the back yard like a ball... I put water in it one day for her on the deck and she proptly turned it into a toy, as she does when I do that in a opinch in the back yard. Woulnd't say it is indestructable because surely sooner or ater it will end up dinged and get a "flat" on one side...LOL

we have one of these at work: http://www.boomerball.com/

here is my dog playing with it. She just started screaming at it and moving it. Don't make fun of me stupidly screeching "GET IT!!!" .... we were having fun. :rolleyes: ETA: It's from my cell phone so quality not the best. I also think this is like a big version of the other ball that someone else posted.

th_081608_1739a2.jpg

Two years ago I bought a smallish (larger than a tennis ball) soft, hollow rubbery ball that glows in the dark and believe it or not, that ball has lasted through a dedicated chewer who destructs everything eventually and her co conspirator who loved chomping on it and carried it everywhere (even when he peed!) and now two pups who are gnawing at it...

I think this is the ball - I know it glows in the dark because Ladybug loves dropping it in the hot tub...in the event that just maybe we'd like to play a little game of fetch while soaking sore muscles.....In fact, think its floating in the swimming pool at the moment....

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751725 -- Pet Smart Powzer glow ball.

We also tried a basketball blown up really tight, and a soccer ball. Ladybug gets one of each a season...if she pops it, she just carries around the carcass. This year she's already peeled off the outer covering of the soccer ball but its lasting so far....we also hung up a KONG frisbee instead of a tether ball which seems to be working out, but it's early days yet....but that little green rubber ball just keeps going and going....

Ohh, we have "Glow" too. It's how my dog learned that porcelain is very hard. As soon as he got it (a Christmas present), I rolled it on the bathroom floor, with lights off, to see if it really glows in the dark. It did. Ouzo chased it. Then we heard a big bang. Proof that toilets don't glow in the dark :D :D :D

Too bad it doesn't fit in a Chuckit - lately I am reluctant to throw any sobbery balls outside with my bare hands :rolleyes:

Ohh, we have "Glow" too. It's how my dog learned that porcelain is very hard. As soon as he got it (a Christmas present), I rolled it on the bathroom floor, with lights off, to see if it really glows in the dark. It did. Ouzo chased it. Then we heard a big bang. Proof that toilets don't glow in the dark :D :D :D

Too bad it doesn't fit in a Chuckit - lately I am reluctant to throw any sobbery balls outside with my bare hands :rolleyes:

Oh dear....hope he recovered soon. I can't believe a cheap little ball like that would last so long!