BC Boards

The bc crouch and stare...

My pup Dave has just started, within the last few days, to show a great little

crouch and even a little stare when he's really intent on something. He is 4 1/2

months old now. Granted, we have no sheep, but he will do this with the deer

and turkeys he sees in the woods, and to our other dog too. I was wondering

if this behavior is something that the pups are born with or a learned trait?

I was wondering

if this behavior is something that the pups are born with or a learned trait?

Pan does it, and we don't even know if she's pure border collie (all we know for sure is 50%), and she was taken away from her mother at 5 weeks, so I'm going to go with instinct or genetic memory on this one!

P.S. Dave is precious!

I think Speedy was about 4 or 5 months old when I first noticed it.

We were upstairs in our old house and he was on the bed. I had thrown a ball down the hall for Sammie and he had chased it. I suddenly noticed Speedy, who did not yet play ball, standing on the bed in a crouch with one paw up, and he was staring at Sammie and was slightly rocking forward and backward. I had never seen anything like it and really didn't know what to make of it!

I didn't really start to see it on a regular basis, though, until he started playing ball himself.

I have a 3 1/2 week old pup that started showing it the last few days, yesterday she was just crouched a little, what she was staring at (my foot) moved a little and she lied down, when I pulled my foot back she rose with the release back to the crouch and stare. I think I know which one I'm going to gamble on!!

Deb

Pups will play at stalking each other as soon as they get their legs well under them, in the whelping box. I've seen it many times.

Sam, three weeks old, stalking Christine when she "disappeared" behind the camera.

qn5n5v.jpg

He still can't stand it when his "prey" goes out of sight. Seven weeks old, stalking my Chinese crested:

6yf8tw.jpg

And last week, at about ten and a half weeks old:

2qs5vs0.jpg

My pups have been exhibiting since about 8 weeks, either toward each other, or when watching Ladybug (our older rescue dog) as she and Ken play fetch. The intensity that they present surprises me. When you lay a ball before Robin, he crouches and stares at it, daring it to move :rolleyes:

Liz

I don't know the answer- but I wish I was Rebecca - boy are those dogs cute. I would get nothing else done - just watching the puppies and taking pictures.

I love my little red pup, but there's nothing prettier than the "tuxedo" black and white BC

Liz

I've seen stalk and stare start among puppies as soon as they can focus they're eyes and walk. It's so cute. My fave stare picture is the one of Jin at 10 wks in my sig.

I also lost a GF because my dog stared at at her incessantly.

Cody, our rescue that we got at approx 1.5 yrs, no crouch - maybe a little stare. Now we have had him for a year. About 6 months ago that crouch and stare showed up big time. Is my dog just slow? He loves to go visit the cows. He will stand there in his crouch with one paw up for as long as you let him. I am holding onto the leash. The farmer does not want his cows herded. I am sorry - the term could be cattle - they are for eating not milking. If they come to the fence - Cody will wait till they come as close as possible and this lunge at them with a big single bark. What the heck is that?