BC Boards

How long should we wait to go back to work?

Stoga

Calli is going in for her spay surgery next week (she's 15 months). Most of what I've heard/read says to restrict activity for 10-14 days (jumping, rough play, all-out running). Problem is, Cal does everything all-out.

What's the conventional wisdom of the Boards? How long should I wait after surgery before putting her back on sheep?

Dinah just has a spay and a double mastectomy at almost 9 and she was going bananas with boredom by day 14. I had her back to work by day 16 and she's never looked back. Even in the evening when she might show pain just lounging around she's fine.

The vet who worked on her (and no we have still not resolved the crooked nose, more on that later) is a boarded surgeon as well as a long term gun dog person. He was totally fine with full work for her by day 14.

Best thing is check with your vet. Let him know her activity level. That said..is also will depend on how he does it. For an extra fee at my vets you can have laser surgery with is alot easier and less painful for them...shortends the recovery time. Also my vet on the active dogs "rolls" the incission so the disposable stitches are inside. Make the incission much stronger.

My last 2 bitches that were done were back to normal in 5 days..