BC Boards

Another dog was killed at our dog park.

Wow some of you guys are calling people stupid for exercising their dogs? Would you rather the dog stayed on a chain in the backyard all day instead?

Yes, if they aren't going to control their dogs. Yes, if they are going to let aggressive untrained dogs run loose. I have enough problems with feral dogs in our area I don't need aggressive house dogs on lead going after my guys.

Over the past few years as people get designer dogs or ego dogs the problems have gotten worse. People are irresponsible with their new pooch not knowing jack about dogs. If that's the case then prepare yourself to write a few large checks because your going to need a vet and a lawyer if your dogs go after mine. That's not a threat, that's a promise because I'm tired of it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So don't knock all dog parks and all people who go to them. ;-)

I don't think anyone here is knocking all dog parks or all those who use them. But, we all admit that there are problem users (which is the issue) at some locations who can ruin the resource for others.

I think the concept of dog parks is excellent but a dog park can only be as useful, safe, and enjoyable as the users make it. Sadly, there are too many people who are either largely clueless about dogs, don't know how to or don't bother to train their dogs, and (as pointed out) may now sometimes being using dog parks for intimidation/aggression purposes.

Wow! So much for a relaxing afternoon. Poor huskies to be owned by a person like that.

I had a friend who lives in California who took her little dog (about 40 pounds) to an outdoor cafe where dogs are welcome. I don't think she even got to sit down before her dog was attacked by an attack trained GSD (imported from Germany). I think the owner was a nice person he just had gotten a dog he had no idea how to control. Layla was bitten pretty badly but she was all right. But that should never have happened in the first place.

1.Well trained, confident protection dogs should not be reactive

2. Whomever sold him the dog sounds clueless too.

1.Well trained, confident protection dogs should not be reactive

2. Whomever sold him the dog sounds clueless too.

The dog was imported from Germany. Probably cost a fortune. I'm sure it was supposedly already attack trained. Man who owned him was a judge.

Man who owned him was a judge.

Probably a bit off topic, but the mayor of a neighboring city was cited last summer for leaving his dog in the car in 90+ degree heat. In a No Parking zone! Just because they're "officials", doesn't make them smart. :rolleyes:

I will never take my two Border Collies or any other families' dog(s) to the park or beach if there are too many dogs. I always seem to be lucky almost every time I take my dogs to the common in several different towns and there aren't any dog around or just one dog at a time which is fine with me that I can manage it if something happens.

I'm sorry to hear about the dog was killed especially any dog was killed. Remember even if you don't know the name of owner(s) or license. Always remember the details on his clothes, his descriptions and what kind of dog including special mark(s) and the color of the collar so that's why Police officers can keep their eyes out for him or her and when that person does come back or around that area they can always catch him or her or call them if you see him or her again but always in private so he or she will not knowledge what you were doing.

Some of you with your feathers ruffled need to take a step back and re-read a few posts and what the topic actually is.

Those of you that are in the biggest uproar are not the ones any of us are talking about, but you are actually doing exactly what I am saying. You are playing AWAY from all the chaos. You say you keep to yourselves in quieter spots and have your dogs under control. Well if everyone practiced that, all dog parks would rock. But the people we are talking about are the people who think it is ok to bring an untrained, unsocialized dog out and instead of using as an ease into socializing, just chunk the dog loose and give everyone else problems. It only takes one dog to attack another. For some of these dogs, it is the only time they ever see another dog. That is why I said they should go to a more controlled setting like an organized class instead of going willy nilly in a field. They should be taught how to behave around other dogs and diff. situations. (A point that was WAY missed)

Also keep in mind, the OP asked what people think of dog parks, don't get ticked off just because some people don't like them. I just put down my 16yr JRT, who never met a stranger, two legs or four. I certainly didn't get ticked at the person who said their biggest prob. are JRTs. Just because mine wasn't the prob. doesn't mean someone else's couldn't be.

There's a guy who brings his two young german shepherds to the park here & "controls" them by letting them trail their leashes. Once I picked up a stick to throw to Durga (we were perhaps 20 yards away) and one of them jumped up on me after the stick, almost knocking me down. I very nicely called out: Could you call off your dog? He laughed and said: You can't wave a stick around in front of dogs! and then went back to what he usually does in the park, leering at the young women there.

What a prince. Fortunately, he's never there if the weather isn't perfect.

AND he wears a really stupid hat.

I am not a fan of the local dog parks. I was reassured today.

I took Seek to a DP today. She went on a long ride with me to drop my friend off at the airport, so on the way back we stopped at the DP for a pee break and exercise. The DP is pretty big and has trees and huge bushes. I've only been there one other time (Seek's 1st birthday). I found that it was very stressful. Always looking around to make sure some idiot dog isn't going to attack Seek. Plus there are those dogs that come barreling around the park and just run right into you! Awareness??? This dumb owner had a rottie there who was obsessed with my dog and "really wanted Seek to chase her." That's what the owner told me. I thought why the hell would my dog want to chase your dog?? What a stupid observation. Then there is the whole "water bowl" that doesn't sit right. I really don't want Seek drinking after 500 dogs from the same bowl. So I went and got her own bowl (no, I'm not anal, just doesn't seem healthy). There was another pit/lab mix that insisted on stealing Seek's frisbee. It became so annoying. The dog wouldn't listen to it's owner either. So we pretty much spent the whole time chasing our frisbee thief. The dog was also very annoying because it kept jumping and trying to snatch the frisbee out of my hand, which I had some close calls of the dog biting me! I decided I had enough. What a waste of time. I was hoping there were some other bc owners there. None to be found. Seek always loves playing with other bc's. Seek always knows when other bc's are around.

HERE IS THE KICKER... On the way out of the park there was a little boy with his dad inside the small dog fenced area. The dad was having his kid pee on a tree. There was even a port-a-potty 20 feet away from them!! This was definitely the area that someone mentioned earlier in the thread as the "LAZY" people. The whole family was sitting on a bench while there 15 chihuahua's ran around and had attitude and growled. There was also a man carrying a baby in a basket while a few dogs were jumping up to see it :rolleyes::D

It sucks that there are so many idiot dog owners. Dogs are social animals, and it is a bummer that some people ruin it for others.

40 Acre dog park?????? WOW!!! The largest DP here is maybe an acre. For space I go to the municipal sports park or a golf course before they're open.

I would like more social interaction with other dogs. The problem is at the muni park dogs are few and far apart, except for one very small local park where people gather at 4pm. The only other places are the DP's with the problems discussed and downtwon Palm Springs which is actually a dog friendly dog are with the aforementioned street cafe's and such. There are always a lot of dogs there on Fri and Sat night and any other time there is a gathering like street fair or some other festival. The difference between the two are more people and dogs have to be leashed downtown. Of course that's the one place where most of the untrained dogs are taken. I would like to be able to enjoy dinner without some dog coming out of the crowd with an attitude. It's hard enough just walking two dogs on leads in a crowd without other dogs to interfere.

I'm not a big fan of dog parks. One thing we have to understand is that dogs are not always social animals. There are instincts that are at work that we don't understand sometimes, and we're fooling ourselves if we think we can control that. I don't buy into the TV dog whisperers or socializers thing where you can teach your dog how to play nice. The instincts to survive at all costs are strong and I don't think those can be trained out.

Our Cindy has always been around other dogs and while there are some that she gets along with, others turn her into a monster. There was a big chocolate Lab next door that would come over and lean his head on our screen door and 'sing' to Cindy to come outside. (It was pathetic! :rolleyes: ) First thing she did was try to take his face off, next minute they were out running and chasing squirrels together.

If you want to read some sad dog park stories, go to the Yorkie forum. Cindy lives with a Yorkie that considers her a big sister and tries to do everything she does. They get along great. But I'd never take either one to a dog park and risk an incident.

I remember one time at a dog park I had to break up a major problem waiting to happen. We are always in movement at the dog park, occasionally throw a ball, and rarely stay for very long. I just love to watch Jedi at a full run, all stretched out in a lightning fast blur, so we sometimes go. Anyway, out of the corner of my eye, I notice several dogs circling a dog and a lot of barking going on. I'm looking around for owners and there are none anywhere near. Jedi and Cadi are starting to notice the commotion and are about to run over, so I leash them and hand them over to my son for a moment so I can investigate. I walk over there and one of the owners must have followed me because she said, "They're just playing". So I said, "Does that dog look like it's having fun to you?"They were circling and nipping one dog who was by this time very upset. So I started waving my arms, yelling, walked through the middle of it and broke it up.

It just made me realize that even the owners who take the time to supervise their dogs at the dog park, don't really know what they're looking at in dog/dog interactions. So I think it's very important to study up on dog body language before you ever go. Just my 2 cents.

I remember one time at a dog park I had to break up a major problem waiting to happen. We are always in movement at the dog park, occasionally throw a ball, and rarely stay for very long. I just love to watch Jedi at a full run, all stretched out in a lightning fast blur, so we sometimes go. Anyway, out of the corner of my eye, I notice several dogs circling a dog and a lot of barking going on. I'm looking around for owners and there are none anywhere near. Jedi and Cadi are starting to notice the commotion and are about to run over, so I leash them and hand them over to my son for a moment so I can investigate. I walk over there and one of the owners must have followed me because she said, "They're just playing". So I said, "Does that dog look like it's having fun to you?"They were circling and nipping one dog who was by this time very upset. So I started waving my arms, yelling, walked through the middle of it and broke it up.

It just made me realize that even the owners who take the time to supervise their dogs at the dog park, don't really know what they're looking at in dog/dog interactions. So I think it's very important to study up on dog body language before you ever go. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I've seen this, too. Recently with a pup (perhaps 4 months) who was besieged by other dogs, not unfriendly, just very aggressive play. The pup had its tail tucked and was yelping! One of the owners of the other dogs went to leash them, apologized and THE OWNER SAID: Oh, that's okay. He does that to the cats, so it's good for him.

And another instance in which a young dog/ pup was being run over by a group of larger, play-aggressive dogs and kept coming to the owner and trying to hide between his legs and the owner said: It's good for him. He needs to be socialized.

Don't forget Bailey that your pup needs t be with strange dogs as well. An ocassional rip to the DP is OK, just keep an eye on things. Look for wild eyed, stiff legged dogs with their tails out. That's a good warning.

Don't forget Bailey that your pup needs t be with strange dogs as well. An ocassional rip to the DP is OK, just keep an eye on things.

OK, DR, I am asking now - why does this pup need "to be with strange dogs". I am asking as I do not believe they "need" to be with strange dogs ever. They need to have manners, to not be obnoxious, to be behaved in public but why do they "need" to be with strange dogs? Can't this be done in a controlled environment, say a puppy obedience class? Why risk a pup at a DP of all places?

OK, DR, I am asking now - why does this pup need "to be with strange dogs". I am asking as I do not believe they "need" to be with strange dogs ever. They need to have manners, to not be obnoxious, to be behaved in public but why do they "need" to be with strange dogs? Can't this be done in a controlled environment, say a puppy obedience class? Why risk a pup at a DP of all places?

I don't take my dogs out much. I've gotten afraid to. Tommy and Ellie are just little home bodies. I take them to the vet without problems. And they know the neighbors and the neighbor's dogs.

I know that people say I should have socialized them way more than I did. And they are probably right. And if it was necessary for them to be out with other dogs - they are both good with people - I would have put a lot more effort into it. But we don't ever go where there are lots of dogs and people.

I figure that border collies lived on farms for a few hundred years without getting out much. Worked for them. It works for us. Doesn't work for everyone.

It depends on your intentions with your puppy. If you want nothing more than a pet, then they are fine without needing to experience strange dogs. Their life will be lived out at home, as long as they aren't attacking other dogs, there is no need for them to be subjected to an obnoxious dog. However, if you plan on competing with your dog, then it's a good idea to get them socialized. Not sure about herding, only watched one trial, but I know from Agility and Flyball that while they don't have to be super friendly, they need to be at the very least tolerant of other dogs and people. This can however, be done outside of a dog park. If your friend has a dog, meet up for a walk in the park. Puppy obedience lessons are also a great way for some structured interactions.

Wow some of you guys are calling people stupid for exercising their dogs? Would you rather the dog stayed on a chain in the backyard all day instead?

If that dog is going to eat my dog then, yes, I would rather it stay chained in a yard all day. I call the people stupid for not training their dogs or taking the time to learn simple dog body language in order to prevent fights. Some people (not all) see the fence around a dog park as an excuse to not need to teach obedience or manners.

It depends on your intentions with your puppy. If you want nothing more than a pet, then they are fine without needing to experience strange dogs. Their life will be lived out at home, as long as they aren't attacking other dogs, there is no need for them to be subjected to an obnoxious dog. However, if you plan on competing with your dog, then it's a good idea to get them socialized. Not sure about herding, only watched one trial, but I know from Agility and Flyball that while they don't have to be super friendly, they need to be at the very least tolerant of other dogs and people. This can however, be done outside of a dog park. If your friend has a dog, meet up for a walk in the park. Puppy obedience lessons are also a great way for some structured interactions.

If you plan to go to herding lessons or take your dog to trials then there will be lots of strange dogs around. They need to at least have good manners - and not bark all of the time. One thing about having sheep around is that most of the border collies are way more interested in the sheep than they are in each other. They all line up at the fence and watch and don't pay much attention to each other.

In general for the first years of a dogs life they need to be properly socialized with all kinds of dogs. It prevents a lot of problems over the years considering how social dogs are. For the first time ever I have recently been reading several books on animal behavior especially working dogs. I see I made a major mistake with Abby in not socializing her with other dogs during her first year and a half. While she is not aggressive she is reactive and barks incessantly at other dogs because of he insecurity and the lack of socializing in that first year. Jin on th other hand is extremely well socialized going downtown a couple of times a week, to class and the DP (which I don't really like) so he can just be with other dogs.

At the DP Abby stays close to me the perfect shadow and constantly barking unless I pay attention to her. She won't do anything except sit and then only for a few seconds. Abby doesn't play with the other dogs except rarely. Jin does play with he other dogs sometimes but would rather chase balls and ignore me. If I'm throwing balls he totally focused on that and doesn't care about other dogs at all. When he approaches strange dogs his attitude is relaxed not tense like Abby who is defensive and warns all others stay away. This extends itself to Abby's barking at dogs being walked in front of the house that Jin ignores. I can see the definite difference between the tow dogs. I have fewer problem with well socialized Jin than I do with Abby who while well trained and behaved in public does react to other dogs even those she knows well.

BTW Jin pulls a 25ft drag lead when at the DP. Makes it easier to get hard control if I need to.