BC Boards

Is this aggression?

There are dogs on three sides of us. Whenever Scooter sees them, he grabs his Frisbee and races to the fence, growling and furiously shaking his head back and forth, Frisbee in mouth.

We've considered getting some of the dogs together to play, but I'm not sure what that behavior is all about and I don't want someone's dog to get hurt. Scooter is not normally dog aggressive on walks and has lived peacefully with two dogs for a week when my brother came for a visit.

I'm betting someone with more experience than me in reading dog body language will know what's going on.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Pam

Whether they are playing or not I call it fence fighting and it is unacceptable. The best thing to do is to socialize the dogs at a neutral place and work up to a point where they can all visit each others yards. That should reduce how frenetic the activity is although they will want to play together on a regular basis. Like everyday.

Whether they are playing or not I call it fence fighting and it is unacceptable. The best thing to do is to socialize the dogs at a neutral place and work up to a point where they can all visit each others yards. That should reduce how frenetic the activity is although they will want to play together on a regular basis. Like everyday.

That's how I was interpreting it. Unfortunately, the other dogs aren't very well socialized to begin with (as in, their people have no clue--they just open the door and let them out!) so I doubt this would work. :D Guess I will rethink this "play date" thing. :rolleyes: Thanks!

Is Scooter a talker? Does he communicate with growls? Does he do it with any other dogs? Orbit is super vocal. When playing (with others or by himself), it is constant growliness. Not "my hackles are up and i want to eat you" growliness but "this is the best toy ever, i love running around with it, what do you think, grrrr!" growliness. So when he does a fly by of another dog (at the beach/park whatever), he is saying, "hey do you want to come chase me and my fantastic toy?" I think that in your gut you probably know whether this is something he is doing in fun or not. Trust your instinct.

If I approach my back yard, my dog runs to get his soccer ball and charges around the yard, shaking the ball in delight, because he knows I'm going to play with him. I'd have to see how Scooter is holding and shaking the frisbee to say whether it's playful or angry.

Mary

Yes, Scooter is definitely a talker. :rolleyes: We can hear him sometimes making growling sounds when he plays with one toy in particular. He also will grab a toy in his mouth, growl and shake his head wildly from side to side while playing with us inside and I know that's not aggression. When he does it outside, it seems to be more with the Labradoodle directly behind us. He also likes to run along the fence line with the English Bulldog, but that's not really much of a race. LOL! It could be just frustration that he can't get to the dogs to play since I've never seen any aggressive behavior towards other dogs in any other setting. Maybe I can get video of it and post it here. Thanks everyone for your input. :D