BC Boards

new puppies in 3 wks

i'm new to this site and am sure that there will be kots of questions to follow in the coming months, we had to put our previous dog down last fall due to old age illness's 15yr's we had her, under your vet's advise. now we fell we are ready to love another dog,so last week my wife and our chidren and myself went out to visit BC puppies we chose this breed because there traits is what we want in a dog our vet suggested that we should get 2 pups as they will help keep each other company and our kids thought that this was agreat idea. we picked 2 females, just wondering is it ok to get 2 pups at the same time as we can still back out on getting one of the pups,also we live in the country so the dogs will have lots of room to run but we are going to use invisable fence, at what age is it time to introduce the pups to this concept? this is getting long winded so i'll post other questions later thanks/and happy to have found you all Ray!

I was told that when you get two pups two big no-no's are getting the same gender and getting littermates. But I'm no pro and would like to hear from the others.

I myself,am currently raising two pups two weeks apart in age(one is 17wks and one 15 wks)and they are of different gender. It is going well.

Only thing is that we have to separate them for a certain amount of time everyday(a couple hours) to prevent them from bonding to each other more than to us.

Ray,

Life with a Border Collie is very demanding. It can either be the best canine / human relationship or the worse! It all depends on how much time and effort you are willing to give. This breed is not a everyone type breed. By that I mean if you aren't prepared to truely make this dog(s) a part of your pack, devoting many hours a day interacting with them etc. Don't get them! Now if you are willing to make them "family" I say go for it! I can't help you with your invisible fence question as i don't trust them, hence never used them. As for 2 BC pups at once I can think of only one word INSANITY!! LOL

If you want to read an excellent book about BC's and what they require may I suggest you get "Your Border Collie's Life." By Kim Dearth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076152536...glance&n=283155

Welcome to the Boards

Getting two pups from the same litter can sometimes be problematical; it has the potential to increase the hierarchy conflicts that will inevitably arise any time you have two or more dogs in the same household. This would typically be more noticeable if both pups were of the same gender. Not saying you can't do it, but that you should have a plan in place ahead of time to stave it off and be prepared that it might not work.

Dogs do keep each other company - but be aware that if you want the dogs to be well-socialized to people (and you do), they'll need YOUR company, not each other's, to do that. That means you'll need to put in twice the time when they're puppies, and also that you need to teach them how to be comfortable when NOT in each other's company, since there may be times when they don't go everywhere together. Also, some dogs do not consider the company of another dog to be adequate - they want the company of the OWNER, not another dog.

BC puppies can be very labor-intensive as well. I've never reared two same-age BC pups at the same time, so I can't advise you from personal experience on that - maybe it's not that much more trouble rearing two as one, or maybe it's double the effort and then some. Maybe someone who has reared two at a time will chime in.

At any rate, if it were me, I'd probably try starting with one and then maybe add another in later, or consider unrelated dogs, or maybe a slightly older rescue and a puppy, or something of that nature. Everyone is different and only you know your circumstances and what amount of time and effort you can put in. I have three (and a half) dogs, but they are different ages and unrelated. They do have hierarchical conflicts from time to time, and they don't appear to enjoy each other's company half as much as they enjoy mine (as in, if offered the choice of playing with each other or playing with me, all of them prefer to play with me). If there's going to be a conflict, the most likely pairings are the two males squabbling or the two females - least commonly, a male and a female.

That's been my experience, anyway, and I've had a chance to observe this in other households as well (being as how my job makes me privy to such events as a matter of course). Perhaps others will have more to say on the subject.

Personally, I would recommend starting with one puppy and adding a second dog (maybe even an older rescue or something) after a year or so.

We were new to Border Collies when we got Speedy as a puppy. Even when he was 9 months old, we still weren't ready for a second Border Collie puppy. I loved raising Speedy, but he required more time and attention as a puppy than I could have anticipated. We wanted a third dog, so we got Maddie, a two year old mix, at that time. She and the puppy became very good friends, but she didn't require the kind of time and attention that a puppy needs.

Now that I have more experience with the breed, I would love to have two purebreds someday, but for starting out, I am glad we got our mixes and just had one Border Collie to focus on.

This breed is different. Owning one is not like having any other type of dog I've ever known - it takes a lot of learning.

So, my advice is to start with one and add later if you are so inclined. Your dog won't miss out in any way by not having a littermate as a companion as opposed to an unrelated dog.

LOL! Good point Tammy, I just kinda let that slide, but now Im curious.

We're bringing home our Lothlorien from the pound on May 22. She was born April 16. I was debating taking another puppy just so transition would be easier, but I already have Rivendell, my BC and Rohan a cat. A puppy is a lot of work, especially when Riven isnt completely trained so Im opting to just get the one. Even though they are adorable.

I also think you should try a rescue dog. Just because they are in shelters doesnt make them bad, or any less of a BC. Riven is a BC mix, but has all the BC traits people mention, but less problem areas some have mentioned. I feel there are too many dogs in shelters to be going to breeders (except in some cases of like working dogs). Now I'll get off my soapbox.

Good luck no matter what you decide

I am for not getting two puppies at once for both training (have to train one at a time) and bonding purposes (want them to bond w/ you, not each other).

But I'll answer your inv. fence question as I have one. My other dog was already trained on it since she was 2 yrs old (now 5). I kept my 8wk BC pup on a leash until she was about 4 months old because at about 9wks she figured out she didn't have to follow me around everywhere and refused to come inside or come to me when asked. So on the leash she stayed. We took obedience class and she also learned that she went where I asked her to go by being on the leash when outside, ALL THE TIME. I tested her a few times and about after 4 months she stay in my vicinity (I didn't go anywhere near the edge of the yard (5 acres) and would come inside when I asked her to. It probably helped that my other dog is very well trained and the pup kinda did what she did.

At about 5 mos or so, I would walk the propertyline on leash and not allow her to cross the boundry by pulling back if she lunged across and said 'yard' which means, stay in the yard. I did this like 4 or 5 times.

I put the inv. fence collar on her and walked the line w/out a leash and when she got even remotely close to line, I called her to me. One day she did run across the line, got shocked (kept going across inside of staying in yard) but returned to my call immediately so was not shocked when she came back in. That is the ONLY time that I know of that she's ever been shocked. She has not tried to leave any part of the property since. Now at 7 1/2 months old, she's trustworthy and is allowed to be outside by herself.

I know she's trustworthy because I've tested her w/ toys crossing line and also leaving yard myself to visit neighbor. She is also tested daily as my other dog chases every vehicle the comes down my road by running the 'fence line' and barking at the cars. My BC chases my other dog, hehe.

Somethings to note about my situation are these:

1. I did not train with the flags.

2. I did not trian with the beeps.

3. I still have her wear the collar outside - probably will for another few months - then she won't wear it.

4. I NEVER EVER let my dogs leave the property unless they are in my car. I never walk them off the property period, leash or no leash. Stepping foot off the property is completely unacceptable. Inv. Fence says you can teach to leave on leash only, but I don't have occasion for this (no where to go via foot really) and I believe it helps solidify the training.

I was able to teach my BC pup at a very young age to stay off the carpet in the living room and to not enter bedrooms (rules of house). This was w/out training devices. I believe it's possible to train inv. fencelines outside this way, but unfortunately, the lures outside are too strong.

One day, my older dog DID leave the property to chase a coyote that was strolling through the back of it. I could not recall her until the coyote decided to hide under my neighbor's deck. My BC is afraid of coyotes so I imagine she wouldn't chase them, but I bet there's something that would make her cross the fenceline. I do test her from time to time with fetching balls/frisbees by throwing them purposely across the line so I can correct her by voice if needed before she crosses.

What is a half a dog?
I believe he rescued a shitzu about a month or two ago. He posted a pic of it (can't remember if it was a male or female.) a month or so ago. Ever heard the expression "So ugly it's cute!?" heheh no offense AK your still wonderful in my book, even with a poozu dog :rolleyes: Seriously tho you did a good thing by that lil fella, and I truely hope you both have a long and wonderful life together.

The invisible fence that I have says to not use it on puppies younger than six months. I have two BCs and they are both extremely reliable on the invisible fence. They absolutely will not cross for anything. Even if another dog is on the other side, they will not cross. I did train with flags, although and I used the collar without the probes for a few weeks. It is very important to train properly on the fence. My one dog was only shocked once and my second dog maybe three times, both on the very first day. Now they don't even go close to the boundary.

:rolleyes: My "half dog" is Pepper, the BF's dog - who lives with me about half the time, but isn't actually mine, legally or ethically speaking. However, she's a half-time pack member (and full-time resident of my heart). So it's circumstances that are "half", not the dog herself - she is, in fact, more dog than most, and the reason I fell for BCs in the first place.

P.S. Fooshuman - "she". :D (And I also have nothing against the floofy dogs, but it wasn't me who rescued one. I just have the BC, the BC mix, and the Westie - plus Pepper half the time.)

LOL I ain't the brightest crayon in the box! Good thing my master's don't allow me to be around sharp things! I apologize for thinking you were a man. :D Leave it to me to insult the pretty vet lady! *smacks head against desk* Lucky you got a BF or else i'd be all like "Hey baby wanna wrestle!?" :rolleyes: I kid, i kid!

Dang now who was the one who rescued the ugly Shitzu!?

Don't worry about it, you're not the first to mistake my internet gender! (although I flatter myself it's less ambiguous in person.) :rolleyes::D And thanks for that "pretty" comment, that'll make up for a multitude of sins - even though in truth I could look like a troll doll on a bad hair day and you'd never know! Isn't the internet wonderful? We can all be six feet tall and look like Angelina Jolie [or substitute hunky male star if you're male and prefer NOT to look like Angelina Jolie]... at least until "reality" creeps in... :D

We've had great results with Invisible Fence for Jack and our two cats. I believe you can start IF at 4 months. We have always followed their instructions to the letter as far as the training. It's a process that you work on over a period of several weeks and you don't move on to the next step until they master the first ones.

I was in the IF office several weeks ago buying a supply of the collar batteries and they had an ad posted for a lost Husky. I asked about it and the salesman told me it was one of their customer's dogs who was now missing. She had stopped using the collar and hadn't purchased batteries for 2 years, according to her file. None of our crew ever goes out with their collars and we use the battery tester to keep tabs on the batteries. IF makes it very easy because they will set you up on a battery program and send them to your house.

My husband and I have both felt the correction and it's a real attention-getter! In my instance, I was actually holding it and my husband had the collar in his pocket. He said he screamed and danced like a girl.

Are you calling Shih Tzus ugly? :rolleyes:

Well, they can be kind of goofy at times....

But never ugly! Then again, I am in love with all fuzzy dogs.

346%3A8%3A%3A63%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3257%3E234%3E5%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D323352%3B962%3A73nu0mrj

I think it is better to have one pup at a time. That way they really bond with you and get all the training they need. But after a year or so, great time to get another! (and another and another and another.... :D )

Congrats on getting (or soon to be getting) a Border Collie.

Helpful and fun info, thanks from me, too. Glad you are a lady AK Dog Doc, I thought you were and took a couple steps back when you were called a "he"!! LOL

Also glad to know what half a dog is.

I do remember hearing 6 months old for IF training, now that you mention it. We are on the auto battery mail thing, too. Scout always wears his collar and is never out unsupervised. He has a "dog yard", fenced area off the basement walkout that he uses if he has business to attend to and we don't want to be outside.

And the Shih Tzu was kinda cute in a little dog way....still convincing dh that small dogs can be ok, too.

AK dog doc, it is just the way most peoples minds work. Case in point, a man and his son are driving in a car, the car wrecks, the man and boy are rushed to the hospital where the son needs surgery, STAT! The surgeon walks in, takes one look at the boy and says, I can't operate on him, that's my son! How is this possible?

Now I will go ahead and give the obvious(?ha ha)answer. The surgeon was the boys MOTHER! Amazing the guesses people will come up with and seldom will someone guess mother! LOL I guessed it right away, but then, except for woman on the front line in war, I don't have a notion of gender jobs! I have the same prob in my job. Most truckers are men so I am constantly hearing, yes sir, oh, I mean ma'am. LOL it just cracks me up! They feel stupider than I could possibly feel insulted!