BC Boards

smooth or rough?

Olivia

The litter I bred was a rough coated male to a smooth female. The litter was about evenly divided between smooth and rough, though all of the roughs are actually what I would consider medium coats (that is, rough, but not a lot of coat) and the smooths varied from slick to thicker coated. I think your friend can expect a mix of coat types.

J.

Cool, thanks! It seems to be good dogs from a well known sheepdog person and while she really wants just the right dog I know deep down she likes a rough coated dog. She has a smooth girl now and I see her making covetous glaces at Carlie's feathery tail.

Olivia

I bred Imp Peg (smooth) to Tait (Smooth) and I got:

2 smooth and one rough coat....

Go figure

And didn't you think you picked the smooth? BWWWAAAHHHAAAHAAA HAAAAAAAHAAAA :rolleyes:

.See my sig line for one of the smoothies in that litter :D

Jade belongs to Nancy O. She plans on running her in Nursery for next year. She took her to a Norm C clinic and he liked her.

Jade tried the *compliant routine* with Nancy too!! Sounds familiar?

Jet was the ringleader of the pups....got your hands full with her, don't ya ;-)

Joss, the bro, is very much a smooth and a dead ringer for his sire.

Jade belongs to Nancy O. She plans on running her in Nursery for next year. She took her to a Norm C clinic and he liked her.

Jade tried the *compliant routine* with Nancy too!! Sounds familiar?

Jet was the ringleader of the pups....got your hands full with her, don't ya ;-)

Joss, the bro, is very much a smooth and a dead ringer for his sire.

She is just right- all the good kind of badness :rolleyes:! The compliant thing is very scary smart-like :D.

To get back on topic- I bred Rhett (very fluffy) to Ace (McCallum bred, smooth smooth smooth) and got 2 fluffier than their mother, one in-between, and two very smooth.

I happen to like a dog with some fur to pet. Nothing to do how the dog works, but s/he is going to be in my home and I like a little fur. I would love my dog if he was purple. BUT....... I like the furry stuff. Personal prefaces, I consider. I love to brush my dog- he likes it also. Never had a slick coat, less hair, less vacuuming..........hmmmmmmmmmm.

Not as purdy. LOL.

I happen to like a dog with some fur to pet. Nothing to do how the dog works, but s/he is going to be in my home and I like a little fur. I would love my dog if he was purple. BUT....... I like the furry stuff. Personal prefaces, I consider. I love to brush my dog- he likes it also. Never had a slick coat, less hair, less vacuuming..........hmmmmmmmmmm.

Not as purdy. LOL.

Depends when you are evaluating pretty, for me it's as they are coming in after working cattle out in the mud lots, Sharon's heavy coated "pretty" dog with a cool tail comes out dripping mud splattering all of us, Jake comes out and with one quick shake to flick it all off, "PRETTY" :rolleyes:

Smooths actually shed worse. The long hairs tend to "hang on" until disturbed (running around outside for instance), but smooth just drop hair all over the place. When I used crates a lot, I also had two smooth coats - I'd have to move their crates every couple of days to vaccuum the hair just accumulated while sleeping or crated while we were gone!

Smooths actually shed worse. The long hairs tend to "hang on" until disturbed (running around outside for instance), but smooth just drop hair all over the place. When I used crates a lot, I also had two smooth coats - I'd have to move their crates every couple of days to vaccuum the hair just accumulated while sleeping or crated while we were gone!

You obviously haven't met Sage. :rolleyes: He is a rough coat with fur somewhere between the normal/average texture of a RC BC and the texture of a Malamute. He leaves massive fur bombs behind in the crate, in my car and everywhere else he goes. His dam and his littermate brother have more classic textured fur and don't shed nearly as much. He got his coat from his sire.

You obviously haven't met Sage. :rolleyes: He is a rough coat with fur somewhere between the normal/average texture of a RC BC and the texture of a Malamute. He leaves massive fur bombs behind in the crate, in my car and everywhere else he goes. His dam and his littermate brother have more classic textured fur and don't shed nearly as much. He got his coat from his sire.

Or Buzz. A month or so after he died, I noticed that we had less than half the usual amounts of dog hair wafting around. That boy was a fur factory.

Ruth

So its not just my imagination!! It has always seemed like Kipp sheds twice as much (or even more) than Missy - it's amazing how much hiar comes off that little dog! But I do love that "easy to clean" smooth coat of his.

I have 3 roughs and 1 smooth (until this Sunday when I will have 2 smooths) and the smooth sheds the worse and all the time. My roughs might have more hair, but their undercoat sheds only a couple times a year where my smooth seems to always be shedding.

IMG_0235.JPG

The litter will depend upon what genes the smooth coated female carries.

Smooth is dominant "S"; rough is recessive "r". Each dog carries 2 coat length genes.

If it carries at least one smooth gene (Sr or SS) it is smooth coated.

The rough coated male must carry rr.

If the female is SS the pups will all get one S gene and will be smooth coated.

If the female is Sr then some pups will be rr and some will be Sr (a predicted 50/50 mix of smooth & rough).

Mark

smooth appears to be able to moderate the amount of rough as well. Which is why you can get semi-rough, semi-smooth....and all the variations thereof.

The litter will depend upon what genes the smooth coated female carries.

Smooth is dominant "S"; rough is recessive "r". Each dog carries 2 coat length genes.

If it carries at least one smooth gene (Sr or SS) it is smooth coated.

The rough coated male must carry rr.

If the female is SS the pups will all get one S gene and will be smooth coated.

If the female is Sr then some pups will be rr and some will be Sr (a predicted 50/50 mix of smooth & rough).

Mark