BC Boards

Excercise induced incontinence?

Samantha J

I'm coming in late here, but I wanted to say that I am very happy that this doesn't sound too serious. I adore Miss Holly!

ETA: If you want a good Pumpkin Pie recipe (for the people of course) my MIL has trusted me with a really good one. I could seriously eat a whole pie and I am not a "pie person." :rolleyes:

I'm coming in late here, but I wanted to say that I am very happy that this doesn't sound too serious. I adore Miss Holly!

ETA: If you want a good Pumpkin Pie recipe (for the people of course) my MIL has trusted me with a really good one. I could seriously eat a whole pie and I am not a "pie person." :rolleyes:

Aww, thanks. :D

Also - yes please, i would love the recipe.

I will definately make one but by the looks of things it might not be until October. That store hadn't got any. I shall continue my search but it looks like something that is really hard to get hold of in the UK. We gets loads of fresh pumpkins in the shops for October so i will be able to make my own then if i don't find any tinned before that.

While i am trying to get hold of it i shall be adding more vegetables to Holly's food. Partly to fill her up more and also they may help to add to the moist food part as well.

I'm coming into this late also, but I have a spayed (at about a year) pit bull bitch who had a similar issue. The vet tried repeatedly to tell me it was a behavioral issue, but I never believed that. She'd leak urine laying on the porch after a good run, or she'd leak urine sitting or lying down in an obedience class. She was fine otherwise.

Eventually she did start leaking more classically for spay incontinence and we put her on PPA, which has fixed all of it, including the exercise-induced leaking.

I'm coming into this late also, but I have a spayed (at about a year) pit bull bitch who had a similar issue. The vet tried repeatedly to tell me it was a behavioral issue, but I never believed that. She'd leak urine laying on the porch after a good run, or she'd leak urine sitting or lying down in an obedience class. She was fine otherwise.

Eventually she did start leaking more classically for spay incontinence and we put her on PPA, which has fixed all of it, including the exercise-induced leaking.

Thank you. :D

I was going to add an update on here today. We have kept Holly from doing much running or jumping all week. She has been fine and so today we got the hurdles out and let her have a session. She has been fine since, no puddles, leaking etc so we think and hope that the addition of liquid/soft food with some of her kibble meals has helped.

It is still at the back of my mind that she may get it again sometimes and it may get worse if she does especially as she gets older. At the moment though she does seem cured, we shall let her have a good run now and see how she goes with that. :rolleyes:

Thanks again to everyone who offfered advice, good wishes etc, it really helped.

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Georgean the post you asked the question about is from 2009, that's why no one has responded. I just noticed myself as I was scrolling. If you're still reading, ask your vet if s/he will prescribe a medication for incontinence. It's fairly inexpensive, or used to be, and worked well for one of my dogs who had spay incontinence. If your dog is male, I don't know if it works as well. Do give your vet a call and inquire.

Ruth & Gibbs

ETA my dogs who had incontinence developed it in their later years, I think after 9 or 10 years of age.  Both spayed much earlier.

Edited by urge to herd
Add more info

• 8 months later...

I just wanted to +1 this thread! I have been looking EVERYWHERE for information on this exact same issue with our dog! It’s always incontinence during a nap after exercise and a lot of water drinking! We’ve been so discouraged the past 2-3 months because we like to hike with her and take her to the dog park but they often lead to accidents in the car or in her bed later. Its crazy because she can go 8 hours at night and 2-3 hours without needing to potty on regular days so it really doesn’t seem like any of the other issues. I plan to follow some of the advice here like adding water to kibble, reducing some vigorous exercise and doing 1 hour potty breaks after excessive exercise.

thanks everyone!