BC Boards

Driving issues

Hi, Carol! Great to read your tips!

I'm regretting entering Doc, PN in the NH Sheep and Wool Trial. I took him to a work day last fall and he did a beautiful drive right through the gates. This spring, he seemed rusty. No surprise. But he seems to be getting worse! I can't keep him driving straight. He moves fast and over flanks (often the wrong way) and sends the sheep way off line. He also pushes right past stragglers and works the faster sheep. The more we train, the worse it gets, the more frustrated I get and it travels right down to poor Doc. I could see he was losing confidence. I've been backing up and trying to drive along a fence and keep as quiet as possible. But the sheep try to bolt for the gate and I have to flank him to keep them on track and we're back to the problem. I started using more sheep and that helped a lot. I can't do much about the size of my field (small). I know we won't work magic by this weekend. I'll just have to bite the bullet and hope a new field and new sheep will inspire him, (and prepare myself for total, public humiliation...) but I'd like to give him as much confidence as I can. (And maybe a little for me too...)

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

LP

Guest carol campion

HI Lana

Nice to hear from you!

My guess is that he is working too close to the stock, in general. That's when they usually lose their feel for them. And it sounds like the draw and pressure are bringing out some neg stuff in him.

I would find ways to keep it as positive and productive as you can at your property. You will have to find what works best there and if it is driving along the fence, so be it. Look at it this way—when he is driving along the fence, he is driving and not overflanking and learning bad habits. Your productive work will show itself best when you get into a bigger area with different sheep. It is there that you will be able to tell what he needs and what your training has really produced. You are probably not getting an objective picture based just on your work at home.

I have never run at NH but I hear there is a lot of pressure there and the sheep are flighty. Just go to do the best you can and see how he is away from home. That may alter your idea of what he needs in ways different than what you expect.

Carol

HI Lana

Nice to hear from you!

My guess is that he is working too close to the stock, in general. That's when they usually lose their feel for them. And it sounds like the draw and pressure are bringing out some neg stuff in him.

I would find ways to keep it as positive and productive as you can at your property. You will have to find what works best there and if it is driving along the fence, so be it. Look at it this way—when he is driving along the fence, he is driving and not overflanking and learning bad habits. Your productive work will show itself best when you get into a bigger area with different sheep. It is there that you will be able to tell what he needs and what your training has really produced. You are probably not getting an objective picture based just on your work at home.

I have never run at NH but I hear there is a lot of pressure there and the sheep are flighty. Just go to do the best you can and see how he is away from home. That may alter your idea of what he needs in ways different than what you expect.

Carol

Thanks for the comments. I was thrilled with him yesterday. Today I came in so discouraged I went to bed...Doc couldn't even fetch all the sheep. He was blowing right by any stragglers. I was thinking I should just give up now. He doesn't have the intensity I like although he's a wonderful farm dog. But you're right. He does surprise me when we're on different sheep in a different field. I ran once years ago at the festival and didn't like it, but it's almost in my back yard. Might as well get my money's worth.

Wish I hadn't moved so far away from you!

L :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Just go to do the best you can and see how he is away from home. That may alter your idea of what he needs in ways different than what you expect.

Carol

You were so right once again. He got a few chances to work lighter sheep and he's now a different dog and working SO much better. I think he was really bored. He still leaves slow sheep behind - yes, he's too close because my sheep barely move unless he grabs a hock - but I can keep him back from lighter sheep. I've worked on letting him hold sheep on the fence and teaching him a real "get back." He's doing great and I no longer think he's a hopeless case.