BC Boards

How do you keep your car cool?

Summer will be here soon and in the Great NorthWet it comes in fits and starts. Friday was 70 something and I was going after poor Alice with a clippers. Saturday it was pouring and cool. I like to do errands between doggie activites and I'm often caught out in a parking lot searching for a couple of square feet of shade to cram my car in for the 30 minutes or so I'm in the store when the weather gods determine it's time for another blast of solar radiation. I've seen folks at dog trials with those sheets of foil backed insulation. Is that the best way to go? Does it really keep your car cool? Anyone invent the solar powered-roof-top auto fan yet? :rolleyes:

I got this nifty thing called a boyfriend. It sits in the car, keeps it running and lets the dogs enjoy the AC while I do whatever I need or want. haha. :D

Doesn't cost much either, a little food, a little love, some sharp corrects and hes set. :D They do need to be taken through obedience school once or twice though, sometimes with a few follow ups. Not to bad.

Katelynn :rolleyes::D :D

Friday was 70 something and I was going after poor Alice with a clippers.

Well, we're hovering around 67° F / 19° C -- and that's our night-time low. Reflectors inside the car help reduce the extreme heat of some surfaces (e.g. the steering wheel), but don't reduce the total heat load. Basically when it starts to get hot, the dogs stay at home when I go shopping.

Summer will be here soon and in the Great NorthWet it comes in fits and starts. Friday was 70 something and I was going after poor Alice with a clippers. Saturday it was pouring and cool. I like to do errands between doggie activites and I'm often caught out in a parking lot searching for a couple of square feet of shade to cram my car in for the 30 minutes or so I'm in the store when the weather gods determine it's time for another blast of solar radiation. I've seen folks at dog trials with those sheets of foil backed insulation. Is that the best way to go? Does it really keep your car cool? Anyone invent the solar powered-roof-top auto fan yet? :rolleyes:

Hi,

I Live in the central valley of Calif and summers here get really hot! I use the silver shade cloths and O2 Cool fans. I've had the fans for the last couple years and really like them. I got them at WalMart, they cost around $15. Here is a link if you want to check them out....

http://www.cargodogs.com/2007/05/o2-cool-b...perated-fan.htm

I also fill a garden spayer with water and wet my dogs down peridically.

Janet

ETA - The above is what I do when we are at a show. The fans and shade cloths work well when we are set up at a show and my car can be left open(doors, windows, etc.). Also, I will be right there so I am able to monitor things. If I am running errands and it's hot, the dogs stay home.

I'm super obssesive about the pups in the car during the summer months. I live in NW WY and the lower, desert type places are blistering in the summer. I live at 8000ft, but do have to venture to the real world for food once in awhile :D

The car windows are very tinted (check local laws....I don't care about the ticket and had them tinted anyway. No tickets yet), I also bought the kiddie shades to help with any direct sunlight, always park in the shade and/or face the sun and put a sun shade in the front window, water bowl in the back (spilless of course!) and I also have a cool mat for them to lay on. Clean Run sells nice ones and it really helps keep the dogs a bit cooler. I use them at trials too. They can be a pain to drain, but well worth it on hot days. I also leave the windows open a bit and recently bought a small fan to help circulate air. I never worry about the windows being open and someone breaking in. Lucia has bitten people who've reached in to touch her. As much as I don't want her to bite people, this is something I won't discourage for personal safety reasons (it is also the only time she's bitten, so no lectures please).

By the way, I REALLY like the BF idea. Where can I find one like that :rolleyes:

Buncha dog-cooling options from Clean Run here. Also, somewhere on that site they mention draping a wet towel over the dog's crate, especially if you're already using a fan.

When the car is stationary, it's amazing to me how much of a difference it makes just to drape a shade cloth over the outside of whatever window the sun is beating down hardest on.

This is a sore subject for me.

Never leave your dogs in the car.

I ran this experiment a couple of weeks ago.

On April 19, 2009 at 10:32 AM I placed a Fluke K type thermocouple and digital thermometer in my car with the sensor element suspended in the air in the center of the passenger compartment. Opened all of the windows and the sunroof and let it sit until the temps equalized inside and out.

Time 10:15: Starting temp 85F inside and out.

Closed the car, all windows and the sunroof. Put up the window shades in the front window and closed the shade for the sunroof. Car now dark inside. Wait fifteen minutes.

Time: 10:32am Check temp with shades in place. Outside air temp still 85F. It was 105F inside the car

Step 2: Removed windows shades. Let the temps equalize and run a second test for 15 mins.

Close car at 10:35. Next check time 10:51 Temp now 111 w/o shades.

Those tempo can kill.

The only way I would ever leave a dog in a car is with a police K9 A/C setup. Even then you run a risk if something goes wrong. During the spring and summer anyone person or dog left in a closed car can die within half an hour. It is against the law to leave anyone or thing in a car when the temps are above 85F. If I see it whether your A/C is running or not I call the cops or animal control. I've also been known to break a dog out of a car to protect the animal.

I feel very strongly about this so I'll say ot again.

Never leave your dogs in the car.

This is a sore subject for me.

In one sense, this is an easy one for people who are used to the SW desert climate. For a large part of the year, it's not even something that is a matter of doubt. Around here, a dog left in the car, is dead within 15-20 mins and it's a horrible way to go. Fans and shades may help in areas that don't get so brutally hot, but I would always worry that you don't know until it's already too late. Play safe folks and leave your dogs home when it gets hot.

I have a diesel truck. If it's hot enough that I'm worried about a dog overheating inside then I don't take the dog anywhere I will have to leave him with the exception of a quick 5-10 minute stop (like grabbing coffee at a gas station on a road trip or milk on my way home from the barn) where I'll leave the truck and AC running and lock it (I have a second key).

I've left him WITH me in the truck idleing on a runway in Hobbs, NM in the summer time high temps for over an hour so I'm not worried about it being reliable for a quick run into a store.

<snip>with the exception of a quick 5-10 minute stop (like grabbing coffee at a gas station on a road trip or milk on my way home from the barn) where I'll leave the truck and AC running and lock it (I have a second key).

This is what I do also. I live in a pretty rural area and it's not always practical to run the dog(s) home if we're on our way back from a trial or whatever, so if I have to stop, I leave the van and a/c running, remove the keyfob from the key chain and go do what I need to do. But I would never do this for any extended period of time for fear of the a/c going out, vehicle overheating, etc.

The van also has tinted windows, sunscreens attached to the inside back windows, and a sunscreen in the front window when I get out.

At trials, I use the sunshade fabric like you can find on Clean Run, though there are places to get it cheaper; leave the van wide open for air circulation; tie the dogs out when I can so they can get under the van for shade; use fans; and make sure they have plenty of water. One thing I do at home is rarely run the a/c so that we are all acclimated to the heat and humidity of the southeastern summer, which makes it less hard on us when we have to work or hang out in it (and saves on the electric bill).

J.

Also live in rural area, in northeast NC where temps stay fairly temperate (summers warm and long and humid but not extreme). I have a Suburban and when I leave all the windows down, it stays substantially cooler in there than even in deep tree shade. Maggie sounds like a mastiff when she's aroused and she looks like a red wolf - so I pity the person who even makes a move for my (basically worthless) radio.

In urban areas I either don't stop, or as Katelynn says, I bring along the SO to tradeoff car watching duties. I now have a ten year old child as well, who knows how to restart the engine if it idles out or can come get me. Children are even handier than BFs - more trainable. :rolleyes:

How do you keep your car cool?

I keep mine in the refrigerator...

Seriously, with respect to solar-powered fans, you might check this out: Solar-Powered Car Fan But even with such a fan, I would not be enthused about leaving a dog in a car on a hot day (or a particularly cold one, for that matter) for any extended period of time. In fact, the only time that Annie is usually in the car alone is for the couple of minutes that it takes me to run into Dunkin Donuts to grab a coffee and a donut, and that is only in moderate weather with the windows partially opened...

Since so many of you leave the car running with the A/C on then here is how the cops in the desert do it. I have the same setup in my cars with an added feature.

Before summer starts have both the cooling system and A/C completely checked and serviced. Tune the car up as well. I recommend a switch to synthetic oil or a PTFE engine treatment like Slick 50. Have thermostatically controlled door locks and window controls fitted so the doors and windows will open if the interior temps go above 85F. Most low rider and custom car shops can provide this or contact your local PD K9 unit. They may have someone that can do the work. Park with your back to the sun, put up your window shades and open the hood to let excess heat escape from the engine compartment. Before you start out for the don't forget to precool the car before putting the dogs inside. Teach to dogs to exit the car if the doors open and no one is present.

I have one other gadget installed through my ham radio system. It sends me a signal when the interior temps go above 80. By responding with a touch tone signal from my HT I can open the doors from wherever I am. Been using it for years.

...here is how the cops in the desert do it.

The Police K9 units do this because they have a need to be able to work in all conditions. It's a lot of extras and you are always at the risk of the technology breaking down or human failure. The PD in the neighboring town killed a dog a bit over a year back (forgot the dog; safety system turned off because of repeated false alarms)*. I can leave my dogs home in the hot months, so I prefer the low risk approach.

Note* : Interestingly, the negligence involved (leaving a dog in the vehicle for 13 hrs) did not rise to the level of reckless negligence and the police officer was found not guilty. Don't try this if you are not a police officer, though.

I've also been known to break a dog out of a car to protect the animal.

I trust you only do this when the animal is in visible distress.

I would certainly not leave a dog in a car for more than a minute or two if the temp was 85 and the sun was out, but I do not live in the desert southwest. Because I often have a working dog with me and need to make brief stops to do errands, I have done actual tests sitting in my vehicle for different periods of time at different temps in a tarmac parking lot. I have a very good sense of how long I can safely leave a dog in a car in different conditions (I note the time when I leave the vehicle, and check it frequently), and I've never come back to find the dog showing any signs of being overheated. I realize that I run the risk of officious people deciding that they should break into my vehicle because there's a dog in there, even when the dog is curled up and snoozing contentedly, or looking out the window with mild interest, but luckily that has so far not happened. Occasionally someone will berate me, but I just invite them to sit in the front seat for a minute or so to ascertain that it is not particularly hot, and they go off muttering. Of course, I generally leave my dogs in the truck at a dog trial (no hi-tech involved -- just windows open, hatch up and in the shade where possible), as does nearly everyone else, and I've never had a dog overheat in that situation either. I just would be very conscious of the conditions and the need for me to make sure it doesn't happen.

So I would say "Never leave your dogs in the car" is a good rule for some people, and a good rule for some places, but not as universal and categorical a rule as some would advocate.

I agree with never leaving your dog in a car in extreme temps. Most people don't take precautions to keep their pets safe. Just throw them in the car and go. I don't have a choice most of the time since I'm on the road so much. Town is 2 hours away and since the pups spend most of the week hanging in the house while i work, I'm not going to leave them there on my days off, too. I take them hiking or walks around town or a swim in the south fork to make up for being in the car. I take every precaution (except leaving them home) when we are out in the summer months. I've even found a local resteraunt that allows dogs on the patio. They bring water dishes out for them and everything :D

IMO, if the time is limited and all safety is considered, there should be nothing wrong with dogs hanging in a car. Now, if I lived in the SW, I would never take the dogs anywhere or even leave them for even 5 min. I was in pheonix once and thought I'd pass out just starting my car in Oct :rolleyes:

I trust you only do this when the animal is in visible distress.

You can't always tell when an animal is in visible distress. It's a judgment call. However with that call usually goes with one to the police as well. I was a ranger at one time protecting flora and fauna. Dogs are fauna and I still take that job seriously. Besides I can pay for a window and the local cops aren't going to bust me for rescuing a dog or child from a car. Done it too many times. From my point of view better a broken window than a dead dog.

I've also been known to break a dog out of a car to protect the animal.

I saw some cops breaking a dog out of a car at Walmart last fall. They take that VERY seriously, especially as it is actually against the law here. They used the Walmart intercom to try and find the dog's owner for about 5 minutes then broke into the car. Owner got a nasty ticket.

It was over 80 degrees yesterday, so even if I was going to leave my dogs in the car during the cold months the cold doesn't last very long here. :D I adore my Jeep Cherokee for this reason, as it doesn't work on my hubby's car. I can leave the car running with the AC on, pull the remote key off of the ring and lock/unlock it with that. Some dogs I would never leave in a running car by themselves (like my teenager dog, but he goes in a crate for car rides anyway), but my Diocese just sleeps unless someone opens a door. Certainly, there is still a risk (some punk might decide to break in to try and steal my car, even with a reactive dog in the front seat), so I usually don't take the dogs on errands. However, it is very convenient when I want to swing by somewhere after exercising the dogs, or for leaving D in the car while waiting at the vet.

I have tinted windows, as dark as is legal here, and several solar-powered fans, but my black car gets brutally hot very quickly when the AC is off. Can't even touch the steering wheel without burning myself until it has had a few minutes to cool. If I leave the windows down and the back open it isn't too bad, but I can't leave my car that open in good conscience. I know way too many people who think an open window is an invitation to pet the dog inside. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed a lot of people at agility trials leave their dogs in their vans, and I've always wondered about this. I've noticed that the hatches are left up and the autos are covered with a reflective mesh. Freeman over-heats easily, so I would be worried about doing this. There are times I wish I could feel comfortable with leaving him in the van, though, since I've found many crating situations at trials less than optimal.

I've noticed a lot of people at agility trials leave their dogs in their vans, and I've always wondered about this. I've noticed that the hatches are left up and the autos are covered with a reflective mesh. Freeman over-heats easily, so I would be worried about doing this. There are times I wish I could feel comfortable with leaving him in the van, though, since I've found many crating situations at trials less than optimal.

It all depends. With a good breeze and the right shading, it can be very comfortable in a car with the hatch open, even on a hot day. I'll always check my dogs frequently when I elect to do this. Especially since the movement of the sun can change conditions in the car quickly.

There are also cooling pads that some people have for their dogs to lie on in their crates.

I think if you set it up right, you can keep your dogs fairly cool in a van, even on hot days. One of the reasons I bought a white van with tinted windows is for the heat/sun reflection. The mesh shade screens really do help a lot by providing shade but still allowing a breeze to blow through. You really just need to use common sense though. I wouldn't take a dog who just got done running a course and put it back in a crate in the van--I'd make sure the dog had cooled down sufficiently first. And of course make sure they have access to plenty of water.

For a dog who overheats easily, I'd probably buy a small shade tent and some sort of mesh or wire crate for maximum air flow and just position the crate under the tent for shade, with the tent positioned so as to get shade from the vehicle as well.

I've been trialing dogs for nine years now and although I tie a few out, often parking is in a field with no shade, so the only shade available is that provided by the vehicle. I've never had any trouble with any of my dogs using an open van, sunscreens, and crates.

J.

It all depends. With a good breeze and the right shading, it can be very comfortable in a car with the hatch open, even on a hot day. I'll always check my dogs frequently when I elect to do this. Especially since the movement of the sun can change conditions in the car quickly.

There are also cooling pads that some people have for their dogs to lie on in their crates.

Thanks for your reply, Rootbeer. I've noticed the cooling pads on cleanrun.com and wondered if they work.