BC Boards

Gee, the pasture got away from us a little this year...

Mona Howard

That reminds me of Ed's brother and sister-in-law's pasture a couple of summers ago. They said that Celt could bring in the sheep. He did a nice outrun (it was a small field) and then proceeded to boing-boing on his hind legs to spot the sheep, and continued doing the boing-boings on his fetch as that was the only way he could see where they were going.

It was hysterical to watch. If I'd only had a video camera...

Yes, it's nice to have the problem of too much graze for a change. Last year we didn't have as much rain and

the hay prices being what they were we cut down to just our eight best ewes. Every fall we put in an annual rye

grass but we didn't get the fall rains in time so it just sat dormant all winter. With all the rain we've had lately it

has just exploded and the few sheep we kept can't do it justice. We also had a dud ram last fall. The breeder gave

us another that we picked up January 2nd. So the first lambs are due May 25th. At least it works out that they are

getting the good graze in their last month of gestation and will still have good graze when they lamb. By that time the

rye should have died off and the summer mix should kick in we hope.

I got a good laugh over the SAR dog comment! My Willy would do the "boing-boing" thing in tall grass. It IS commical.

He's old now and I can't use him much. I have a nice little bitch but none of my sheep are puppy sheep (besides being

heavy pregnant anyways). She's raring to go but my hands are tied. Of course I cannot send my precious little princess

out for training. I need to get motivated and get some puppy sheep for her. What with sick relatives and such I just

keep getting delayed! Darn it!! Mona

I wish I could get someone in to do balage or something with it. It looks lush but it can't be as nutrious

as it would be if it was less mature. No one wants to come out just to do a few acres. We are looking right

now for a tractor but there are a lot to choose from. Then we'll need a mower attachment and just maybe

a rake and round baler in time. $$$

Where I got the rams from they fed balage. They bought it and said the sheep really liked it but you

had to be careful with spoilage. Once the bale was opened they had to eat it in so many days if I remember

correctly? Does it need to be stored in a building or.....? By the time we get a tractor this stuff will probably

have died of with the hot weather but it would be good to know for next year. Thanks.

You do need to be careful about spoilage, and you have to make it carefully. You need to have enough moisture to allow for fermentation, but not so much that the bale becomes an anaerobic environment. How long you can take to feed a bale after you open it depends on the outside temperature and the qualities of the bale, such as acidity, moisture levels, type of material, etc. You do not need to store it inside as the bales are wrapped in plastic, but once you open it it's best to keep rain off it if you're going to take several days or a week to feed it out.

Be aware that a good round baler that's set up for making balage is probably going to be a five-figure investment. If you're concerned about having enough time sheep to feed it out, I doubt that it will pencil out for you to own the machinery.