BC Boards

Trying to save money on vet care

theshine

I'm sure it can be.

It is a free market though, and the best deal for the dollar has to be considered by both parties.

I believe in paying fair price for services. I don't feel I owe my vet a living. He chose this profession, and just like the rest of us in private industry he can adjust to offer what people need and want. Overpricing for office visits, gouging for unneccessay testing, charging for items like scripts because we refused to by overpriced medication in house are wrong. In most cases he would make even more money if he willingly from me if he would get better lab equipment, better staff, and better monitoring during surgery for example. Those things I will pay for because they improve outcome.

The fact that most of them won't do that says a lot. For example Why is it they still sell yearly shots, but I have to beg and rant to get reliable bloodwork? And how about charging for an overnight stay when there is no one in the clinic checking on the dog?

Of course they make adjustments- but I would hope that they would do so according to the standard of care, and not just at the whim of clients. I have never worked for a vet who charged for a rx script. I wonder how common that is. I posted recently on Sheepdog-L that I thought requiring heartworm testing yearly was a bit much if the pet was on preventative- but several people made good points as to why they should be done yearly (I do not live in a heartworm area, and the "price gouging" :rolleyes: vets I work for have resisted over the last 5 years the drug reps pushing HW preventation down their throats). While I still wonder at the yearly test requirement, I think there is room for a difference in opinion and apparently good reasons to do it that often. So if that is a major issue and the vet won't cooperate or explain their reasons for doing so- then I am all for clients finding one that will.

Most vets have switched to a three year model on vaccines, at least in my area. Not sure what you mean by "reliable bloodwork". I do know that one of our associates that did not trust our inhouse lab was, although very "textbook" smart, continually making very stupid decisions regarding medical treatment (I won't even go into the disaster this person was in surgery)- and that associate did not last long at our practice. One licensed tech minimum is considered standard now- wasn't when I started in this business.

I will say that my vets will discuss any concerns with clients and cooperate if they wish to tailor their pet's care to their own holistic beliefs or otherwise. Even if it seems a bit like quackery to them... but to quote my boss "quackery sometimes works". Not meant to be a judgement on all holistic methods, just some of the more loopy ones :D.

As far as charging an overnight stay- we don't charge any different for hospitalization if the pet is picked up at 5 p.m or 7 a.m. Do some vets charge extra if overnight? Because my experience is that you are charged for the day of observing and treating the dog. If you want staff 24/7 or the pet is critical, you go to the ER Clinic or critical care unit at the referral center and pay for a night of observing and treating the dog.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deb, Congrats on your new dogs... :D

Yeah, thanks.... nothing like living in dumping ground central :rolleyes: Little Fezz is going to be ok, I am meeting with some prospective families for him this weekend. BTW, he went out with us (Jake, Vicki and myself) to graze the sheep, went right with Jake on an outrun and then decided that it was his job to hold the gate. Unfortunately I needed the sheep to go through that gate, anyone up for a Herding Boston Terrier?? Eventually he decided it was to much work and went back up to the house for a drink of water and to lie in the shade.

Regarding the judgement deal, I'm not saying that anyone is being judgemental, it's just that when a person reads what others consider normal or responsible care and then realize that they can't measure up there could be guilt related to it. When folks feel guilty often times they won't ask for help for fear of being judged.

Deb

Regarding the judgement deal, I'm not saying that anyone is being judgemental, it's just that when a person reads what others consider normal or responsible care and then realize that they can't measure up there could be guilt related to it. When folks feel guilty often times they won't ask for help for fear of being judged.

Deb

Deb,

I think this is one of those things where you just have to realize that as long as you're doing the best you (the generic you) can, then what others do is irrelevant. I had a really good job and could afford to pretty much do whatever was necessary (necessary being relative of course), but I've also been in situations where I've been unemployed/underemployed, and during those times, I've had to adjust what I can do (and work with my vet to make payments, etc.). Even when I *can* spend plenty of money, I don't do it because I can--I still weigh the options and choose what makes most sense to me, financially and for the benefit of the animal. When money is tighter, I do even more weighing, etc. My point is that there is no need for anyone to feel guilty if they're doing the best they can (as long as they aren't using lack of money as an *excuse* to try to take proper care of their animals).

J.

And how about charging for an overnight stay when there is no one in the clinic checking on the dog?

Y'know, I've never understood that. Or when they want the dog to stay overnight after a surgery and no on is there to watch them, yet if they come home with me, they will be watched. :rolleyes:

I guess I just don't feel like I've ever gotten screwed by my vets. Maybe I've been lucky. They have always been happy to work with me. No one has ever charged me for a script and they have always allowed me to take care of things myself that I am capable of taking care of, like giving Solo his Adequan injections, or removing stitches, or administering IV fluids. I know I don't owe my vets a living, but at the same time I do not think it is reasonable for me to expect them to treat my dogs at their own expense, which is what ends up happening once prices go below a certain level. Also keep in mind that many clients just don't pay their bills -- those people are essentially stealing care.

As far as being financially strapped and not being able to pay: most people who feel this way are able to pay, they just don't want to because they'd like to have the money to spend on other things. That is not a judgment, it is a fact. If people literally do not have the money and no way to get any, then I would argue that those people cannot afford to have pets. That is sad, but if I could not afford to support my animals I would not expect someone else (i.e., my vet) to take up the slack for me. (I am NOT saying that the OP or anyone else on this thread is doing this, but an awful lot of people seem to.)

I am quite familiar with poverty. While I was living in SF on a postdoc salary, I remember standing in a supermarket with a $3.50 jar of mayo in my hand and debating whether I could spare the money for it because after all, I could always just grab packets of it for free from the hospital cafeteria. Also, I would buy the 0.10 ramen noodles rather than the 0.18 ramen noodles because those cents add up, you know. Try living on an NIH postdoc salary in a city where studio apartments rent for $1500 a month (that would rent, like, two houses where I live now) and all the food costs a third again as much as what it costs in a normal city (like Philadelphia, where I moved from). That is why I had a credit card that was nicknamed "dog insurance plan."

Often people post pleas for help with vet bills online. "Help, I have no money and my dog needs surgery." Yet often that person has a personal computer, an ISP, a digital camera with which to take photos of the dog, all things that can be eliminated and/or turned into money. One might argue, "but I need those things so I can check email/get online/take photos" but then what one is actually saying is "I want someone else to pay my vet bills so I can keep these other things that I like but that I COULD use to pay my dog's vet bills." Yeah, I'd like to keep my computer and stuff too, I can totally understand that, but I do not expect someone else to subsidize me so that I can do so, be that strangers I beg for money from online, or my vet.

As far as being financially strapped and not being able to pay: most people who feel this way are able to pay, they just don't want to because they'd like to have the money to spend on other things. That is not a judgment, it is a fact.

Actually I think it's a sweeping generalization and your opinion, not fact. By your reasoning, if someone loses their job (not unheard of lately), suddenly they shouldn't have the animals they have because clearly they should have known somehow when they got those animals that they might in the future lose their jobs or have a catastrophic illness or otherwise suddenly find themselves in a bad financial situation. Please. Oh, and they should disconnect their internet service because clearly that's not needed for job hunting.

Sure, there are folks who work the "system," be it human or animal medicine, but I choose to believe that most folks out there who want to save where they can on vet or human medical care aren't trying to get one over on their vet or their doctor. Nor do they think they've been screwed by their vet. I prefer to think they're trying to survive and make the best choices they can with the finite financial resources they have. And I don't think my head's stuck in the sand for believing so.

J.

Actually I think it's a sweeping generalization and your opinion, not fact. By your reasoning, if someone loses their job (not unheard of lately), suddenly they shouldn't have the animals they have because clearly they should have known somehow when they got those animals that they might in the future lose their jobs or have a catastrophic illness or otherwise suddenly find themselves in a bad financial situation. Please. Oh, and they should disconnect their internet service because clearly that's not needed for job hunting.

Sure, there are folks who work the "system," be it human or animal medicine, but I choose to believe that most folks out there who want to save where they can on vet or human medical care aren't trying to get one over on their vet or their doctor. Nor do they think they've been screwed by their vet. I prefer to think they're trying to survive and make the best choices they can with the finite financial resources they have. And I don't think my head's stuck in the sand for believing so.

J.

I have to agree with Julie here. There have been times I have had to say to my vet, I really have to have this done but the choice lies in whether I can get XX treatment done or feed myself and my child. I have had 2 of my dogs for ~10 years, there have been times when money was tight and they didn't get everything they needed, I made it work and didn't look to give them away. I worked in vet clinics, both large and small animal, for many years and I do understand that some people are just trying to work the system (typically those who are known to be "rich") but for the most part, people are just trying to get by....

Just out of curiosity, was that in addition to a bandaging charge?

I don't remember, but I believe so b/c they had always charged a flat bandaging fee, usually $5, and they do still charge that even though I provide the materials.

There are a lot of people out there that simply cannot afford all the vet care that is available now. Since I work for people taking care of their pets I talk to them about this alot.

Most of my clients can manage regular vet visits. Its the specialty clinics that are out of bounds. I specialty clinic here is really expensive. It is probably $150 to just walk in the door. And treatments can be in the thousands of dollars.

I certainly don't judge my clients because they can't afford to spend thousands on their pets. And I don't think its fair to expect people to spend that kind of money. I do expect them to do the best that they can.

I certainly don't judge my clients because they can't afford to spend thousands on their pets. And I don't think its fair to expect people to spend that kind of money. I do expect them to do the best that they can.

I don't think anyone is expecting people to spend "thousands". I know I couldn't. I do believe people are obligated to provide food, shelter and comfort for pets. By comfort, that means if you cannot afford aggressive treatment and the animal is suffering, then you will receive no judgement from me if you elect to PTS. I think it can go both ways, we have clients who do spend thousands on a pet they should have let go months previously. The quality of life of the animal is the important thing, not the quantity, IMHO.

Everytime this subject comes up, I appreciate my vet more - granted, I've used the same vet for more than 24 years and I've paid a lot of vet bills during that time - but I can't remember the last time I was charged for an office visit, if she has them - I get free samples for new meds, payment plans for expensive treatments and a full discussion of the options (and their expense) and likelihood of success. I've been very satisfied with both her medical treatment and financial issues. I also consider the contributions she makes to the community - nickel neuter day, low cost rabies clinics, treating and adopting abandoned animals - someone left a 4-5 mo terrier mix in the fenced backyard a couple of days ago. My vet has vaccinated and neutered the little guy and he's up for adoption - she doesn't charge an adoption fee but only places with established clients (or persons recommended by another vet). I truly dread the day my vet retires!

Well, I took one in today for the HW test (negative) and got a 12 month supply to split between them for now....I told the actual vet what was going on and she made a note on the chart about the vaccines. She knows I plan to split the HW prev and she just said to bring the others in for the test as soon as I can.