BC Boards

Jackson 0-sheep1

Great thread!

My only comment is that in general, though each of us can have better and worse days, it's a characteristic of maturity (training-wise and overall) that things tend to even out. I would expect a green dog to be inconsistent, and I would spend less time worrying why and more time letting the dog build experience. If a mature dog who should knows their job started to have trouble, then I would think more about why and less about blindly continuing on.

To all who responded earlier, I finally got the vid today! I watched it. And I have to say, it did give me some insight to the probs I had with Jackson on his last training. In the vid Glyn took a young pup about 5mos to a field with a couple of trained dogs. It was a very large field. He let the pup loose and used his trained dogs to keep the sheep from bolting over/through the fence, but let the pup enjoy chasing the sheep. He let the pup get tired and then he brought him in. He said he would not put the pup on sheep again till about 10mos. That was in a round pen and he just kept the pup from charging at the sheep helter skelter. Then he took a dog that was the same age as Jackson is and really started putting the preasure on as far as commands and such.

Now, I think what happened is when Jackson was about 5mos old I took him to Bill Coburn's as he is the closest and first "sheep dog" person I had met. We put Jackson on the sheep and he did just like the pup in vid did. However, Bill did not like the idea of Jackson chasing his bred sheep like the maniac he was! And now knowing the kind of dog he is, I think this is what did it for him. (Please note I am in no way, shape or form blaming Bill! He is a great guy and has some very nicely trained dogs!)We just didn't know how this was going to affect Jackson. I think being the way he is, he has it in his head that correction=leave the sheep alone. I could be wrong. I will speak to Carol Anne about it this weekend at the trial.

So what do y'all think? Is this asumption possible? Or probable? Or way out in left field and I am grasping at straws!?

I posted this on my previous Video Review Thread.

The vid was Come Bye and Away by Glyn Jones

Well, we went to the trial they had this weekend at Red Creek Farm. It was great! I got a few pics I will post when I get them on Photobucket. But the great thing is, I was talking to the guy I want the pup from. It is his dog Hope and Bud. I haven't seen Bud work much, But I love the way Hope works. She is awesome to watch! That's why I want a pup from her. Anyway, I was telling him what a lousy training it was with Jackson last week and he just laughed. He knows how I feel about Hope. He said he had her at a trial the week before and said if he'd had a gun, he would have shot her! (don't worry guys, it was just an expression of his frustration!) He said everything the dog could do wrong, she did! So he said for me to be worried about 1 bad day out of only 3 training sessions, well, you better get used to it! Cuz they WILL have bad days, no matter what their ability is!

So tomorrow is another training day,,,,,,,,,,and I will NOT get frustrated! Let y'all know how it went! Thanks again for the sound and usefull advice!