BC Boards

How much do most 6 month olds weigh?

We took Moss out of the shelter to foster on Saturday, April 4. By Monday, he had bloody diarreha, which turned out to be Parvo. He was in the hospital until Friday, and he is now neutered and feeling great. His last baby tooth fell out last week, so we assume he is between six and seven months old. He weighs 21 pounds. How does this compare to most six month olds? He seems very small to us...

Moss-web.jpg

Skip is 3 and he doesn't even weigh 30#. Jackson on the other hand probly weighed 30# at 6 mos.

I would guess his age to be more like 7-8 mos. He has that gangly look to him. He will do a lot of filling out in the next 6 mos. I love his ears! He is a cutie!

LOL, I had to go check his vet papers for a weight. Blaze was 25lbs at 6 months old. The OP's Moss reminds me of Blaze - fine boned, skinny, and on the shorter side (Blaze is only 20in)

Dixie Girl, he just lost his last baby tooth one week ago today. The canines aren't quite all the way in yet, so maybe he's just 7 months. That is what I thought. He was probably 6 months old when we pulled him, according to our vet. He weiged 20 pounds at the time, went down to 18 when he had parvo, and has gained 3 pounds in the last two weeks. He does run off most of his calories. He gets more to eat than our own three put together! (They got fat over the winter and are all on diets!)

His ears were up all the way before he got sick; while sick they fell down all the way, and now they are almost all the way up again. The right ear is usually all the way up, the left still tips over slightly at the top!

Kathy Robbins

At 6.5 months my Ouzo was 44 lbs :rolleyes: I know it because last time I went to the vet for his annual check up I asked them for all his weights since he was 2 months old.

At 3.5 years now he weighs 48 lbs - and he's 23 inches at the shoulder.

Moss is one good looking boy, glad to hear he's getting better in your care.

At 6.5 months my Ouzo was 44 lbs :D I know it because last time I went to the vet for his annual check up I asked them for all his weights since he was 2 months old.

Wow! :rolleyes: Was/is he just really heavy boned?

Wow! Was/is he just really heavy boned?

He's my huge boy, built like a greyhound mated with a racing horse :rolleyes:

Here's him a few weeks ago at the dog park - he's both tall and long and with muscles that make grown men cry.

3408656178_49afd23149_b.jpg

ETA - changed the size of the picture so you can really see his muscles under all that wet fur.

Generally all the 6 month old dogs we see in for spays/neuters already have their canine teeth all or most of the way in. The canines will start falling out around 5 months in most dogs. The incisors usually start falling out around 4 months.

He is really handsome Kathy :D I look forward to hearing more about him. I think he might be a bit younger than 7 months too. I always thought the baby teeth were lost at 5 months or so, too. Grady had no baby teeth left when I got him at 5 months. If I remember right, he was about 27lbs. then.

He's only gained 10 lbs since then :D He's a super lean, fine boned boy but eats twice as much as Lucia or what's recommended by the D.F. company.....when he eats. If he even remotely thinks someone has glance at a ball or a leash, food is out of the question :rolleyes:

Moss' canines were most of the way in. One baby tooth hung in there because the new canine was next to the baby tooth rather than above it. It didn't begin to push the baby tooth out till it was half way in. All his teeth are in now, with the canines almost all the way in! He is apparently tiny for his age, whichever way we look at it! There have apparently been some very small ones around here, as well as humongous ones! His feet don't look all that big in relation to his size, so I'll bet he weighs only about 30 when mature!

Kathy Robbins

At 4 months Jin weighed 29.5lbs. That was a about 10 days after I brought him home from the vet.

The biggest BC I ever had was Surra at weighed 67lbs. He was also the largest one I ever saw. Glyniss was the smallest at 32lbs.

Reading River's progression, it makes sense. I don't have his hights, but Ouzo was a big baby from the start. From the vet's chart:

9 weeks 11.4 lbs

14 weeks 19.8 lbs

18 weeks 25 lbs

5.5 months 36 lbs

6.5 months 44 lbs

3 years 48 lbs

Reading River's progression, it makes sense. I don't have his hights, but Ouzo was a big baby from the start. From the vet's chart:

9 weeks 11.4 lbs

14 weeks 19.8 lbs

18 weeks 25 lbs

5.5 months 36 lbs

6.5 months 44 lbs

3 years 48 lbs

That is one big nine week old BC! My nine week old is 9 lbs. I'm guessing she'll end up between 35 and 40lbs at full size.

Odin was 18.9 lbs at 12 wks

27.2 lbs at 17 wks

35 lbs at 6 months

38 lbs at 8 months

45 lbs now, 13 months, 22-23 inches (I can't measure very well, he hates the tape! But I think closer to 23)

Also he's built like Ouzo in the rear, where his hips seem taller than the withers.

What a cute pup, and resilient boy, making it through parvo too!

ETA looked at vet records, changed #s to be correct!

Quinn was about 22 - 23 lbs at 6 months. At a year, he hit 38 lbs and then didn't really break the 40 lb barrier until we got some health issues straightened out when he was about 2 1/2 years old. We just recently reached the point where he needs to loose a lb or two at close to 44 lbs. He's about 21 inches and I don't think he should weigh more than 42 for his build. It's funny that the strictest of our vets on weight refused to say Quinn could stand to loose a bit. I think he rated him on the high side of ideal. :rolleyes: I wonder if he isn't so tickled to see Quinn doing this well that he was slightly less objective than usual.

I re-read the thread and Jin seem sto be a bit heavier than most for a 4 month old puppy.Out guess as to his max weight was 45-50. Duh!! Now I'm wondering if he might break 50?

I re-read the thread and Jin seem sto be a bit heavier than most for a 4 month old puppy.Out guess as to his max weight was 45-50. Duh!! Now I'm wondering if he might break 50?

He does sound like a big boy, especially since that 4 month weight was right after a life-threatening illness. There seems to be a good range in height, weight and build. Quinn was underweight for the first 2 1/2 years of his life due to health issues, so really he should probably been more like 24 - 25 lbs at 6 months. I never minded him being thin, other than the reasons for it, because better a skinny puppy than a fat one. I've had a couple puppies of other breeds that were on diets by the time they turned 6 months.

ETA: I'm not calling anyone's puppy or dog fat. Quinn was a scrawny puppy and youngster is all I'm saying.

9 weeks 11.4 lbs

14 weeks 19.8 lbs

18 weeks 25 lbs

5.5 months 36 lbs

6.5 months 44 lbs

3 years 48 lbs

That leaves us with a little bit of hope . :rolleyes:

Riley is 45 lbs at 6 or 6.5 months, and probably 19 or so inches tall.

We think she's probably a lab mix though, so that could throw things way off in the end. :D

Ouzo has such a great face, I love seeing pictures of him.