BC Boards

Daisy the Grouch !

Took Daisy to the doggy doctors for a check up and am pleased to say she now weighs 20.75kg. A damn sight better than 14.9kg !! The doggy doctor was over the moon with her!!

My problem being that when we were waiting to be seen in walks a baby border collie, 15 weeks old and totally adorable. He had a sniff of Daisy who then proceeded to lift her lips and show her pearly white nashers to the poor little thing.

This happened several times. Finally we pulled her away and told her no. To which she kept doing it. We then got called in to see doggy doc.

She is doing this a lot. Not just with the puppy but with dogs that she meets in general. She is fine with my sisters collie and my aunts dog but any other dog gets to see her pearly whites!! How can I stop this as I dont want her to be aggressive with every dog she meets!

This is not nessicarily aggression, my bitch makes faces all the time when other dogs get in her face. The curling of the lip is all they get. A general warning that she prefer they not be in hr face. There is no growling, she doesn't follow up with snapping or biting, and doesnt start things unless its with her big brother Riley the aussie. I know alot of bc bitches that are similar in their behavior. I would not overly stress about it unless you see signs of escliation but I would let her know with a quiet "That will do" or "Leave it" that thats enough. I would also let the other owners know that she does not like other dogs in her face. Its her right to be left alone if she wants to be.

I personally never complain when Oreo just snarls at other dogs to leave her alone. She's old and grumpy and she just doesn't like being bothered. As long as she's "polite" about it (showing teeth is how dogs communicate the "leave me alone") and not actually doing anything (she used to lunge and bark and such, which was not okay) then I just let her be. And so do the other dogs.

As the others have said, some dogs just don't like other dogs, or strange dogs. You'll need to make sure that you can call her away, and be prepared to step in if a dog is particularly obnoxious or pushy. You can train her to sit behind you, so that you are between her and the other dogs. That might be all it takes for her to calm down.

Ruth n the BC3

Hi Heppers - good news on Daisy's weight gain. As far as being snarky goes, as the others have said, provided it doesn't escalate, I wouldn't stress about it. In my experience, quite a number of Border Collies, bitches in particular, have quite a large personal space, and will warn others when they intrude. My Kirra will do this if I'm not quick enough to get between her and the intruder, and she is worse if she's stressed or tired. I would agree it's a management issue, as long as she warns nicely.