BC Boards

Opinions please, car related.

"The true means of being misled is to believe oneself finer than the others." (Duc de La Rochefoucauld)

Enough said...

I think . . . and Laura, please do correct me if I'm wrong . . that the objection isn't so much toward the sharing of information - of course not leaving a dog in a hot car is important information that bears repeating - but about the information being framed in the context of a "lesson" as if we are all here for the purpose of taking "Dogs in the Desert 101". :rolleyes::D:D

This is just my sense as an objective observer of the conversation . . .

I think . . . and Laura, please do correct me if I'm wrong . . that the objection isn't so much toward the sharing of information - of course not leaving a dog in a hot car is important information that bears repeating - but about the information being framed in the context of a "lesson" as if we are all here for the purpose of taking "Dogs in the Desert 101". :rolleyes::D:D

This is just my sense as an objective observer of the conversation . . .

Exactly!!!

As some one who lives in the AZ low desert, I think being a bit pedantic about something that we are very conscious of, but people who live in cooler areas are perhaps a bit more casual about is worth the risk of rebuke for stating the obvious.

Well put, John. In New England, while uncommon, we do occasionally get days when the temperature gets into the 90's, and on rare occasion will top 100. One would hope that common sense prevaills in all circumstances; but it never hurts to be reminded of the dangers involved, particularly given that the conditions that some people take for granted are rare for others. As Frank Lloyd Wright observed, "There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."

I appreciated learning that 80-82 is too hot to take the dog with me. In Kansas, that would be most all of june, july, august, sept and half of oct. at least after 10 or 11 AM until 7-8 PM. Guess if Bess wants to go, it's gonna be in the back of the truck in the crate with a big water bowl that will spill. Do they make bunny type water bottles with ball spouts large enough for dogs to lick?

Please can we just take whatever we find useful from the postings and just leave any comments relating to that with which one is familiar . Some of us , new to BC ownership, may want to hear all we can in order to do right by our new companions; others are much more experienced and on a Board catering to all levels are bound to read information which they already know.

To day I learned that Meg will probably be happier coming in the car with me , that lesson is valuable to me.

Quinn loves to go in the car with me. He is the best ride along dog I've ever had -- quiet, content and well-mannered. He's also used to just riding along and not expecting he'll be getting out of the car. Apparently, he is happy to be my navigator. :rolleyes:

A few years back three dogs I know died of heat stroke within a span of several months. I was careful of warm cars before then but now I'm freaky careful once the temps hit the 60's or above. Because I also worry about my handsome, friendly Border Collie being stolen (the Lhasa is like a rabid Teddy Bear if someone talks to him through the car window so no worries there), I don't leave the windows open more than a crack. Consequently, Quinn's ride alongs are much less frequent in the summer -- only on those trips where I'm not going to get out of the car or if I do, he can come with me.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are lucky that your doggies get in the car. I have a 4 year old male BC that loves the car. "Lets go bye bye" is one of his favorite thing s to do. The one year old female BC is terrified of the car. Gets sick, spew spit, and is just generally scared to death of the Car. We have 2 1/2 acres fensed and she content to stay home. Never had a BC that didn't like the Car. That's Ok with us, we love her to much to make a big deal out of it.

I just realized that I put my Jazzy girl in jepordy. My son got his new truck this weekend. It's a manual tran, which he can drive but needs more experience. So today he picked Jazz to go for a ride along so he could get used to driving his new ride. As I write this I hear him pulling in. Guess they both live to ride again!

All but one of my dogs is a car rider. They don't care if they don't get out. the workin dogs are always looking for sheep but the old one just like to ride. Raven for her whole life has never enjoyed a car ride. It's ok cause she's bound to end up somewhere she's wants to be but there's always a drool puddle when we arrive We deal with it. So does she.

One thing I have learned since getting into the dogs is that cracking the windows and parking under a shade tree means you can leave the dogs in a car in temperatures that you never, ever thought you would be able to leave dogs in. Really, a little bit of shade and some ventilation make a hell of a difference. If you're not just running in and out of places then some water is nice too. I only worry that some moron is going to think my dogs are boiling to death in the car when actually, they are fine. I know someone who puts an aquarium thermometer in her car for this reason (one of the little sticky ones that goes straight on the window glass). That way, would-be do-gooders can see that it actually isn't that hot in there.

As far as dog theft, only an idiot would try to steal Solo. I'd kind of like to see someone try.