BC Boards

Opinions please, car related.

Meg likes being in the car. She usually is in it when we are going somewhere for a run.

If I have messages to do I generally leave her in the house.

Query is; do you think , even though there may be no walk/run involved that it is best to take her in the car with me or leave her at home alone.

I only just considered this as I was about to go out for an hour or so.

Maybe coming in the car with me gives her more stimulation than staying home.

I had felt she would be disappointed if there was no walk involved. Stoopid?

As ever I will be most interested in any opinions . Thank you

We almost always have at least one dog going on car rides with us, whether we are just running to the grocery or out doing something dog related. Unless of course, it is too warm and we may not be able to find shady parking or are going to be away from the car to long. The dogs love just being with us, but I think it's good for them to be on their own and home sometimes too.

Sophie loves coming along in the car, even if it's just for the ride. My other two get out a bit more because I take them to trials, clinics, and work sessions, but Sophie (aka, Sophidopolous BarksALot and EatsMyTruckWhenOverstimulated) can't usually come on those excursions. So, as long as it's not too hot, I often take her along when running errands. She loves just being able to go with me--anywhere.

I take Lewie with me everywhere, except work (not company approved). Even if I'm just running errands and he can't get out of the car I feel he is happier being with me than home alone with just the cats. He is getting mental stimulation watching the scenery go by while the car is moving and the activity of the street and sidewalk where ever we park. He’s usually tuckered out after just an hour of errands.

I would caution against taking Meg if it’s too hot outside. We all know how deadly a parked car can be even on a mildly warm day. However, I have been known to leave the car running AND LOCKED with the AC on for The Kid. Makes me laugh when I come back to the car and he’s sitting there so proud and easy with his fur flying back from the fan blowing full blast. :rolleyes:

my car is considered a giant crate. If we're out, even all night and the dogs are feeling uncomfortable or just tired and need to crash, they happily get in the car. WHen traveling, if it's not to hot or cold, that's the prefered place to sleep. THey feel safe.

they seem to think it's a giant crate.

unfortunatly mine smells like one too! Even my kid is embarassed to have non-dog folks ride in the car! Guess it keeps him from driving that often so doing good if you ask me!

I do notice that here in CO. Dirty cars are the norm. Who knew we'd fit right in!

When Tessie sees me putting on the flip flops next to the door, she knows I'm going somewhere she might be able to go and she is RIGHT THERE saying, "Can I go? Can I go? Can I go?" So, like everyone else, if it's not too hot, I take her nearly everywhere with me. I think being with me and getting to look out the window makes her just as happy as a walk.

We all know how deadly a parked car can be even on a mildly warm day. However, I have been known to leave the car running AND LOCKED with the AC on for The Kid. Makes me laugh when I come back to the car and he’s sitting there so proud and easy with his fur flying back from the fan blowing full blast.

I always have one or the other with me. Usually Jin. Living in the deserrt presents special probs for dogs in cars. Here are the rules.

Desert rules for dogs in cars.

Rule 1: It is against the law to leave a dog in the car when the temps exceed 80F/22C

Rule 2: Run the A/C set at max A/C vents pointed to the roof.

Rule 3: There is no rule 3.

Rule 4: Too keep your car from overheating open the hood all the way. This allows heat to escape.

Rule 5: Always park in the shade with the back of the car pointing to the sun or where it will be.

Rule 6: Use a sunshade in the front window, cover sunroof with towel and leave it open 4".

Rule 7: Leave windows open a few inches.

Rule 8: Leave a large bowl of water.

Rule 9: Use terry towels or seat covers on leather seats.

Rule 10: Leave your dogs home on hot days because it's still against the law to leave them in the car A/C or not.

Here is something you can do to help your dog.

In order to screw with the cops I found the local A/C guy who services the K9 cars and had him install a thermostatically controlled door relay. If the temps in the car go over 82 the doors and windows automatically open allowing the dogs out and fresh air in. I have this on both the Lexus and the Explorer. I also have small fans to circulate air to the back of the car.

To prepare your car for dogs in summer (that would be a good name for a band) have your A/C and cooling system completely and thoroughly overhauled and serviced. Also be aware that if I find a car with dogs in it and the temps are over 80 I call the cops. I've also been known to break a door window to let suffering dogs out. One lady tried to press charges another time a guy wanted to beat me up. What's wrong with you people you care more about your damn car than you dogs?

Last word. If the temps is over 80-85 and you can't take the dogs out of the car when you park...

LEAVE THEM HOME!!

unfortunatly mine smells like one too!

Mine does, too, at the moment.

I'll be vacuuming it out soon and that will help. It's a good thing we always keep our cars until they die and we never have to try to get it into sell-able condition!!

Sophie loves coming along in the car, even if it's just for the ride.

So does Annie. I have a cover on the back seat of my car and the jump seat of my pick-up at all times, and DW keeps a cover in the trunk of her car just in case. Whenever the opportunity arises, Annie rides with us on trips where she will not be left in the car alone, as well as trips to the local trails and other locales where she will be able to get out of the car for some fun and games.

Very interesting and thank you for answering. I feel much happier now about taking Meg with me even if it is just for the ride. Funnily she is not interested in looking out the window and just lies down on the seat. Maybe her seat belt is more comfortable lying, I will investigate that.

I appreciate the warning about heat but confess to having a smile. If we ever get another really hot day here there will be no car for Meg or me as I will be sitting out enjoying this rare occurence. But as I said I know it is relevant to many people in many countries.

There is something funny going on as this post seems to have got 'posted' before I had finished it so sorry if there are repeat posts.

Desert rules for dogs in cars.

desertranger, I know you like to "teach" people, but really the vast, vast, vast majority of people reading these boards do not live in the desert. Almost none of your rules will apply to most of us.

Last word. If the temps is over 80-85 and you can't take the dogs out of the car when you park...

LEAVE THEM HOME!!

Very Well Said!!!!

We take Dixie and Kaycee just about everywhere -- even short errands. They love picking up my daughter @ school. We go to the bank and they get "cookies". Or we'll make an extra trip to petsmart and let them walk around and get some social time in with the "people". On hot days we mostly leave our dogs @ home -- if I have to take them with me - we leave the air conditioning on high and park in the shade and its usually for < 10-15 minutes. Never longer -- I'm paying for central air -- someone mind as well use it right??

desertranger, I know you like to "teach" people, but really the vast, vast, vast majority of people reading these boards do not live in the desert. Almost none of your rules will apply to most of us.

As far as this post goes -- even if you live in Canada -- it does get warm - especially if the car is in the sun, most of Rangers rules actually apply in almost all climates

Actually I think the list that DesertRanger posted DOES apply to most people on the list whether we live in the desert or not. Except for the concern that the car might over heat and having to run the A/C at max...I might run the a/c in my car 3 or 4 times a year. The rest is fairly common sense for the pet owner...but not everyone in the pet owning world has an over whelming amount of common sense (present company excepted).

Rule 2: Run the A/C set at max A/C vents pointed to the roof.

Rule 3: There is no rule 3.

Rule 4: Too keep your car from overheating open the hood all the way. This allows heat to escape.

Rule 5: Always park in the shade with the back of the car pointing to the sun or where it will be.

Rule 6: Use a sunshade in the front window, cover sunroof with towel and leave it open 4".

Rule 7: Leave windows open a few inches.

Rule 8: Leave a large bowl of water.

Rule 9: Use terry towels or seat covers on leather seats.

Rule 10: Leave your dogs home on hot days because it's still against the law to leave them in the car A/C or not.

It makes sense if you live in a place with very hot weather most of the year--but again that is not the climate for the majority of readers. Most folks have the option to simply wait for a cooler day than to risk taking a dog along when it is so hot that there is a need to prevent the vehicle from overheating.

One thing that concerns me is dog theft. I have a friend that had her BC stolen out of her truck, and another recent event on the news, a dog stolen out of a car in the local mall parking lot. I'm sure this happens, anyone ever concerned about that when leaving dogs in the car?

One thing that concerns me is dog theft. I have a friend that had her BC stolen out of her truck, and another recent event on the news, a dog stolen out of a car in the local mall parking lot. I'm sure this happens, anyone ever concerned about that when leaving dogs in the car?

Yes. I do worry about this - especially when I leave Maddie and/or Dean in the car. Both of them are so friendly, I think they would go off glibly with anyone at any time.

I don't worry too much about Speedy or Sammie. Both will bark and show teeth when a stranger approaches the car. Of course, a very determined thief might not be deterred by that, but any but the most determined would leave well enough alone. So I have more of a sense of security if one of them is in the car.

But Maddie and Dean are my Agility dogs and very often I only have one or both of them with me. I'm pretty picky about where I will leave them.

After reading the thread from Laurae's comment on I'm not sure how to respond. In one respect Laurae you are correct most people do not live in the desert. However most people do live where the temps reach over 85 and a car in the sun heats up whether it's in the desert, country or city, just more so in the desert or tropics.

If we were in a beginning class I might ask; are you willing to take the risk with your dogs and point out the first rule of car survival is do not use your car for shelter if the temp is over 85F.

If you were in the advanced class it wouldn't be so easy. I would probably say; your dogs suffered from heat stroke in the car and one is dead. You fail please leave the classroom.

To me it's that serious.

It's your choice Laurae what do do with your dogs but my purpose in life is to keep people and dogs alive regardless of what people say.

In that respect I humorously offer you a visit to DesertBandanna.com and the O'blogitory

After reading the thread from Laurae's comment on I'm not sure how to respond. In one respect Laurae you are correct most people do not live in the desert. However most people do live where the temps reach over 85 and a car in the sun heats up whether it's in the desert, country or city, just more so in the desert or tropics.

If we were in a beginning class I might ask; are you willing to take the risk with your dogs and point out the first rule of car survival is do not use your car for shelter if the temp is over 85F.

If you were in the advanced class it wouldn't be so easy. I would probably say; your dogs suffered from heat stroke in the car and one is dead. You fail please leave the classroom.

To me it's that serious.

It's your choice Laurae what do do with your dogs but my purpose in life is to keep people and dogs alive regardless of what people say.

In that respect I humorously offer you a visit to DesertBandanna.com and the O'blogitory

Thanks, but the point is that I am not in your class. Believe it or not, I already know all this stuff.

Absolutely. It's constantly in the forefront of my mind when Lewie is with me. That’s why I ALWAYS lock the car, even in my sleepy little community of 2200 residents. It just isn’t worth taking the chance not to.

"The true means of being misled is to believe oneself finer than the others." (Duc de La Rochefoucauld)

Enough said...

Actually, I think most people realize the things desertranger posted. It's common sense. But by all means, if you didn't know to do that before he posted, Bustopher, consider yourself educated.