BC Boards

New puppy! Any ideas?

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here!

We adopted a puppy from the shelter last week and we are trying to figure out what she is. The shelter said they think she is Aussie/Catahoula but other people have suggested she may be a BC mix. All I know is she is super cute, super sweet, and VERY smart! My mom is convinced she's Aussie/BC.

You guys are the experts on herding breeds ... what do you think? She is about 4 months old and 25 pounds. She has a tail and a medium length coat (at least compared to our lab!). She's pretty much solid merle except for her chest which is silvery.

She is getting along GREAT with our other dog and is fitting into our life really well. We live in Colorado and do tons of hiking - we're hoping she will make a great hiking buddy when she is older. We're also thinking about doing agility with her. :rolleyes:

I can't get images to post, so here is a link to my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88162918@N00/

(Anyone have any idea why I can't post photos? I tried to use the IMG tags but got a message that they aren't allowed?)

Any thoughts on what she might be? Thanks!

Jen

Thanks guys! I don't really care what she is, I'm just curious to see what others think. :rolleyes:

She was part of an unwanted litter that came from Salina, KS, and ended up at the Boulder Humane Society. I have NO idea how common Catahoulas are in Kansas!

She has been SUCH a good dog so far! I'm sure the devil puppy will come out eventually but for right now we are enjoying the calm before the storm. :D

She's adorable! I could buy Catahoula mix... or something else. We've gotten several dogs that look similar to her (solid merle, medium coat) in our shelter in TX. I call them 'general herding breed' mixes. No help, I know.

Thanks guys! I don't really care what she is, I'm just curious to see what others think. :rolleyes:

She was part of an unwanted litter that came from Salina, KS, and ended up at the Boulder Humane Society. I have NO idea how common Catahoulas are in Kansas!

She has been SUCH a good dog so far! I'm sure the devil puppy will come out eventually but for right now we are enjoying the calm before the storm. :D

Not many catahoulas in Kansas. They are mostly down in bayou country. That doesn't mean anything. No telling where her parent came from.

LOL! I can't imagine getting bored of her. :D

For now we are telling people she is a Rocky Mountain Spotted Puppy. Its kind of like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever ... but cuter and more fun. :rolleyes:

Oh, that's so cute.

I think catahoulas are really smart and they are tough. They work them in really tough terrain and they go up against some really tough animals.

Just think Old Yeller.

That's great! Assuming she likes hiking she will be hiking in some pretty tough terrain when she gets older ... we'll try to keep her away from tough animals tho!

I think Catahoula are cool dogs! (Becca is convinced Jack is a cathoula mix...) Anyway, I have no clue if your dog might be a Cat mix, BC mix or Aussie mix. How's that for helpful? LOL! She's super cute, no matter!

Do you have any standing shots? Profile standing shots, in particular. I think body shape is telling, but maybe not a whole lot at 4 months.

Your black lab is gorgeous, too.

I think Catahoula are cool dogs! (Becca is convinced Jack is a cathoula mix...) Anyway, I have no clue if your dog might be a Cat mix, BC mix or Aussie mix. How's that for helpful? LOL! She's super cute, no matter!

Do you have any standing shots? Profile standing shots, in particular. I think body shape is telling, but maybe not a whole lot at 4 months.

Your black lab is gorgeous, too.

Thanks! The lab (who is possibly not lab at all! lol we call HER a "North American Black Dog") is loving having a buddy around! :rolleyes:

I'll try to find/get some standing profile shots. :D

No, no, no, no. You're in terrible danger, the only way to save yourselves is to send her to me. I'll tame her, (she's obviously viscious!) and send her back when it's safe. Say, 4 years or so.

She's very cute. I like the Rocky Mountain Spotted Pup breed a lot!

Have a good time!

Ruth

I have only met one Catahoula ever...but, I'd say that Catahoula-something mix sounds possible!

I like Rocky Mtn Spotted.... :rolleyes:

Whatever---that's a beautiful dog.

(Our Sol came out of the shelter as a "BC-Lab mix". Coulda been, maybe. As he grew, tho it became clear that he has no more BC in him than I do. Probably German Shorthair Pointer/Lab/something houndy. We decided he was either a full blooded Blue Tick Shoe Retriever or Blue Tick Wufflehound. It works.)

Awwww... she looks just like a foster I had a couple of years ago. I posted her picture on here and it was guessed that she might have been an aussie/border collie/something else mix. She was a self merle too and quite the character. Enjoy her!

Olivia

Cool-another Coloradan! Welcome. I have a friend who has a catahoula and he does look much like your Indy but with much shorter hair. :rolleyes: Maybe she is catahoula/bc? The Boulder Humane Society seems to get plenty of bc's and bc mixes.

Cool-another Coloradan! Welcome. I have a friend who has a catahoula and he does look much like your Indy but with much shorter hair. :rolleyes: Maybe she is catahoula/bc? The Boulder Humane Society seems to get plenty of bc's and bc mixes.

Hello neighbor! We are in Superior right now but probably moving up to Longmont when our current lease is up!

I wish I had grabbed the pictures of her littermates off the Boulder Humane Society website before they pulled them down (three of the four got adopted the first day they were in the adoption area, the fourth got adopted the next day!). Two of them looked like her but were even fluffier, the other had a shorter coat more like a Cathoula. Her coat is sort of in the middle of the bunch!

(still can't figure out how to post pictures here! unsure.gif )

This:

[img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/3446220110_ac10566c63.jpg]

gives this:

3446220110_ac10566c63.jpg

and what a cutie! I love how her tail sticks straight out.