BC Boards

Signs of aging?

My not-quite-5 year old seems to have developed certain signs of aging almost over night. She is still extremely active, usually the fastest dog at the park. But is rapidly getting a lot of white on her snout & face & her eyes appear to be a little cloudier.

This seems to have happened within a span of a couple of months. I've looked back at photos & am pretty sure I'm not imagining this. I'll ask the vet about it when we're in for her next annual but wondered if anyone here has any thoughts on this. The only changes in her life are (1) diet food and (2) prozac.

My not-quite-5 year old seems to have developed certain signs of aging almost over night. She is still extremely active, usually the fastest dog at the park. But is rapidly getting a lot of white on her snout & face & her eyes appear to be a little cloudier.

This seems to have happened within a span of a couple of months. I've looked back at photos & am pretty sure I'm not imagining this. I'll ask the vet about it when we're in for her next annual but wondered if anyone here has any thoughts on this. The only changes in her life are (1) diet food and (2) prozac.

I would ask the vet. The cloudy eyes concern me.

I've had dogs that start greying though at the age of 2-3. My previous sheltie was pretty much completely grey in the face by 5. I have two near 5 year old papillons right now, one has a lot of grey on his face and the other doesn't have any. The one with the grey face's dam went grey early too. She's nearly 11 now and has a completely grey face so I think a lot of that is just genetic.

Greying is very individual. I've seen dogs that started going grey at the age of 2 or 3. My older dogs are 9 and 10. Fly, who is 10, has just started getting grey around her face (and it's hard to tell since she's sorta ticked with white anyway). Solo hasn't gone grey at all, which is good, because then he'd be pink.

The grey hair wouldn't bother me, I'd be a bit concerned about the eyes if they were getting cloudy.

Missy has just started getting white hairs on her muzzle in the past 6 months, but not too many. But her face is 2/3 white so they don't show up as much. Miss turned 10 last month.

Solo hasn't gone grey at all, which is good, because then he'd be pink.

Taupe. Sami's a red/tan tri, and her tan cheeks and leg bits are turning taupe. The rest of her, though not as dark a red as she used to be, is still red.

Shonie is strictly red/white, and her red is getting more white hairs scattered through it.

Ruth

Taupe. Sami's a red/tan tri, and her tan cheeks and leg bits are turning taupe. The rest of her, though not as dark a red as she used to be, is still red.

Shonie is strictly red/white, and her red is getting more white hairs scattered through it.

Ruth

That's what's happening to Beau who was a very deep red sable. He used to even have a black mask but you can't see any of that now. I bet his whole face will be white by the time he's actually old. The back of his ears are turning a taupe color instead.

misery.jpg

(He was having a bad day, lol!)

Not the same thing, exactly, but when I have Farleigh shaved he goes from red to lavender (though he still keeps his red/orange face and tail tip). Jill and Farleigh are both showing greying in the face, but it doesn't look pink to me, it just looks like a mix of red and white hairs.

J.