BC Boards

wow...how much longer can we keep going?

I am not blaming anyone including myself. I'm thankful that I trusted my gut feeling and took her back for more exams. I'm also glad that I started saving money for 'doggie health funds' last year. The hardest thing for me to accept is that she was most likely in pain when we were doing rehab. I made her do things that were probably making the ligament worse - which was at the same time helping with her muscle injury. She trusted me and did everything I asked her to do. That just tears my heart apart in pieces. I cried all day yesterday.

Her TPLO and knee surgery is scheduled for this Friday. She won't be able to work or run freely at least for another 6 months. She sat and watched Cooper work in the last 7 months. It's going to be a long 6 months for us.

Please send me positive vibes. We have another hill to climb. The bright side is that at least we know exactly what is going on and hopefully the surgery is going to fix her.

I found a box of good wishes given to Jin when he was sick. He says you can have them because he doesn't need them anymore and we want Jazzy to run and play again.

Her TPLO and knee surgery is scheduled for this Friday. She won't be able to work or run freely at least for another 6 months. She sat and watched Cooper work in the last 7 months. It's going to be a long 6 months for us.

Please send me positive vibes. We have another hill to climb. The bright side is that at least we know exactly what is going on and hopefully the surgery is going to fix her.

That really sucks. I'm so sorry that Jazzy and you have to go through this. My Riley went through TPLO surgery when she was about 7-8 yrs. and it was tough. So big-time positive mojo vibes coming your way from us. And yes, I'm sure after this round there will be no turning back! Get it all over with now and it'll be smooth sailing ahead... :rolleyes:

Ailsa

Hi, Inu,

We sure hope that Jazzy will have a smooth recovery.

I would urge you to think of contacting someone in your area who does Reiki (either for animals and/or people). Reiki is a non-invasive energy medicine that can't harm, and can do much good to help heal animals. I think it might be very helpful for Jazzy.

It's not quite as la-la as it sounds; Reiki is actually taught in many medical and nursing schools (Yale and Harvard, for two) as a healing and relaxing technique. In addition, there are 61 prestigious hospitals all across the country that offer classes in Reiki and/or treat patients with Reiki. Many veterinarians -- in traditional, holistic, and alternative practices -- endorse Reiki treatments.

There is a wonderful book that explains Reiki healing for animals that you might want to get: Animal Reiki by Elizabeth Fulton and Kathleen Prasad, forward by Cheryl Schwartz, DVM. Ulysses Press, 2006. It's available on Amazon.com -- not expensive at all.

I hope I'm not being intrusive with this information. I certainly have nothing to sell, LOL, just want to share that Reiki has helped our 15 1/2 year old Border Collie with his health issues. Right now, he's running across the yard chasing a squirrel. Last year, he could hardly walk. He's the reason I took the Reiki classes -- so I could treat him. Smartest thing I have ever done, both for him and for myself -- Reiki does not distinguish between animals and people -- we all are living beings that benefit equally from it.

Keep us posted!

Mary Huber and Travis the Trickless WonderDog

Poor Jazzy. My acd has had 2 TPLO surgeries. I feel your pain. Just remember there is a good chance that she may tear the CCL in the other knee. Start saving for that possible surgery as soon as possible. If it never happens you will at least have some money set aside for whatever.

Rehab is a huge part of making sure Jazzy can get back to normal activities...

Good luck.

You were only trying to act in the best interest of your dog - please don't beat yourself up. The what ifs??? will kill you. Keep up the good work - you are the best advocate for her - you sound strong, you can both do it - you will look back when this is over - glad that it is done but your bond together will be strong with many amazing years ahead. Good wishes being sent your way - especially on Friday. Answer to the question how much longer can we keep going - until the race is won.

Gosh so sorry to hear all this! Knee and similar joint injuries are my biggest fears for my animals as they can happen so out of the blue and cost so much in terms of money and time to rehab. I wish you guys the best!

Having been through ortho surgery and recovery with my guy lately I really feel for you and Jazzy. You've both been so patient and this seems like such a setback! Lots of good wishes coming to you both to help you get through this - when she's able to go again, sound and pain free, it will be the best feeling ever.

ETA: had to fix wrong sex for Jazzy :rolleyes:

Our pup, Kaycee broke all of the boines in her RH foot almost 4 weeks ago. She's just 6 months old now. She had surgery to pin the two center bones and the 2 outer bones were set. This coming Wed will be 4 weeks. We're hoping that the splint can come off. It's killing her to not be able to play with her precious balls!

From one doggie with a "Boo-Boo" to another - Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Oh Inu - I'm so sorry to hear of Jazzy's continuing issues. I can just imagine how bad you feel for her - but what can you do - you can only be guided by the professionals. Jazzy knows that everything you do is for her.

You and Jazz certainly have all our very best wishes from down-under Down Under - for a successful surgery, and a speedy recovery. At least you know you both have the patience to do this lot of rehab.

Kirra and Rory send get well soon woofs to Jazzy.

Thank you so much for all the well wishes! They corrected her knee cap, did a TPLO, and amazingly she is already using the leg 36 hour post surgery! She is acting strangely from the morphine but should get better once the morphine partch is removed later this week. She refuses to drink water. She'd only drink fluid if it's flavored. So she's been drinking beef broth (no sodium). It took her 19 hours till she finally peed yesterday. I got some photos that some of you might find interesting.

Arthroscopy
arthroscope.jpg
Normal CCL - from google search for comparison
normal.jpg
Jazzy's partially torn CCL - right side is still intact, left side has torn fibers and blood vessels

CCL-tear2.jpg

Again, right side is intact
CCL-tear.jpg

xray2.jpg xray1.jpg

Close up on the rotation
rotation_closeup.jpg

Bruices on the leg.
incision_2day_red-sml.jpgjazzy_bed-sml.jpg

Ah. Poor dog. How did she tear it?

Two different dogs that I take care of ended up with torn ligaments at the knee. I think they both did it during icy weather - they just slid on the ice. The lab saw a deer and took off full speed and just went down hard.

The lab had surgery but the boxer just got better on his own. I guess those can just heal by themselves sometimes.

Gosh, that dog is so lucky to have you for an owner. And they get better so fast. Will be just fine before you know it.