BC Boards

Respect

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider a leash as a communication tool vs. a restraint, if the dog is pulling against me the communication is one way, one way communitcation is not respectful, on the dogs behalf, but I also feel that we can be disrespectful in the same way by making demands via the leash vs. using it as a tool to show the dog where it should be, basically not using the leash as a communication tool ourselves. By dragging the dog around we don't give the dog the opportunity to decide to come with us. It's when that dog is with us by choice, because they look to us as their portal to our world that we start building a relationship with them.

I want my dogs to want to be with me, because they look to me for the answers and have faith in my leadership.

We have to be careful when a dog opens themselves to us, the other day Jake came out like a flood, typically he is very reserved, very pressure sensitive and takes things very personally. When working with him I had a communication break through and he began to want to execute what I asked, it was like a change from doing it because I said to, to doing it because what I said was what he wanted to do. When we came in the house he was overzealous and ran past me ran to me and jumped up on me. I didn't correct him but rather stroked him under the chin, it was totally out of charecter for him. I'm really glad I did not correct that indiscretion, it has not happened again but now he's looking to me differently both in the house and out working, he has a new confidence. If I give him a command and he's uncertain he asks for support, if he really wants to do something different then my command, rather then blowing off on his own agenda he checks in to confirm that I really want something other then he thinks is needed at that time. I'm being careful not to squash that willingness to communicate that he is exhibiting, I feel like I have finally earned his respect and it's very fragile at this time, if I shut him out he's going to shut me out.

Debbie, I just wanted to respond to your post because it was my favorite. I am impressed with how intune you are with your dogs. I love the example you used with Jake. Sometimes we don't pick up on things like that if we don't take the time to pay attention and ask why. The other day Cadi came into our bedroom when she knows it's off limits. It was so out of character for her that I actually asked her what was wrong. I followed her out of the room to see Jedi throwing up. That's what she was trying to tell me. I'm so glad I didn't scold her for that. Good girl. :D So...communication...trust...relationship...respect. I don't believe the real thing is easy to achieve.

Oh and I'd like to put my order in for Godiva chocolate please! :rolleyes:

Georgia

Debbie, I just wanted to respond to your post because it was my favorite.

Thanks Georgia, I think that sometimes we just need to be still, wait and listen/watch, but oh it's so hard. After reading your post it reminded me of a daydreaming type deal that I posted on our club board back in January, it's kinda off topic, but really it is on topic, it's part of the key to gaining respect, I don't mean to be indulgent, just thought it would give more insight to someone:

Many of you know that I have worked with Marc Christopher for the past two years. He often talks about getting to the Root of the Problem when working through training issues, if we don't get to the root of the problem we will never get real change but come back full circle back to the problem. Last night as I was throwing hay to the horses I was reflecting on the last few months, realizing that things seem to be coming easier. The pups just go to their crates, no one challenges to leave their kennels but rather takes a step back, even the horses seem to be cooperating better. That was when I realized, I have gotten to the root of the problem, it was staring right back at me every morning when I brushed my teeth. My dogs problems have been me!!

By no means is the problem fixed, it will probably take me a lifetime to change my habits, but each day I go out and get better at speaking my dogs and horses language through subtle pressure changes, a little support a little discouragement, clear direction without doing alot. Another bit of advice Marc always gave, "think lazy, don't work so hard". It's amazing how making yourself less of a factor can actually give you more success.

Gosh I'm so dense, the last time Marc was here he told me I that I was not yelling as much with my voice, but I was still yelling with my body, talk about a concept to grasp, I was telling, threatening and yelling rather then asking, insisting and correcting.

I think I understand know why so many think that the top trainers just let the dogs discover their own path, they do but they don't, they can encourage and discourage with so little effort that without looking for it you would not see how much they are controlling the learning. It's second nature, body position and posture, the pup gets rough you square your shoulders without realizing it, maybe lean forward and the pup gets the message. The pup does something right, without realizing it you shift a little back and maybe lower your eye.

It was ironic that Monty Roberts was on IPTV last night, I've seen him before but last night it was in a different light. I could see some of what the horses saw, it wasn't just a man chasing a horse around a round pen, he was showing the horse what he wanted via his body pressure.

Maybe the winter has been to long, maybe I'm going crazy. But I thought I'd share what has been going on as I've been snow bound here on our little hill.

Deb

I like what Debbie said as well. I took Jin downtown to stree fair tonight. Very crowded and while he was unsure of himself and somewhat intimidated at first but his confidence grew. When ever he seem to be having a problem I let him know I was there. Several times I was able to instruct him with just hand signals and a light tug on his lead to get his attention. Workd beautifully. You could see the trust in his eyes. I think I was able to apply some of what I learned from this thread.

Now. I have to ask everyone to step away from the chocolate. If you do so peacefully no one will get hurt.

I got homemade fudge with walnuts at street fair* Evil laughter* It's mine, all mine.