BC Boards

Graduation

Reyna graduated puppy school!!! She is only 13 weeks. I asked the trainer if we should repeat the puppy class, take some time off or jump into puppy class. She told me that Reyna is really smart so we could do adult class and if she couldn't handle the harder stuff she would simplify it for us. What do you guys think?

Congratulations! There were quite a few pups in our beginning obedience class (Allie was 7 mos. old at the time), but most were older than 4 mos. I would take a little time off and utilize the things you have learned, continue to socialize and reinforce your puppy lessons. Obedience is a very good class for BCs and Allie liked it a lot. I wouldn't rush into it, however, for such a young pup.

Congratulations. We don't usually start formal ob training in classes until 6 months (we have puppyclass continuin until then) - but there's lots of stuff you can do in the meantime. A lot depends on the kind of class your trainer runs. Whatever you do, keep it light and fun.

Our pups finished their first puppy class but was mainly socialization class around the same time. Even though they were always the first to learn everything...I think it is good to work on that stuff at home and adding in your own variations and commands. I would hold off a while before more formal obedience training until about 6 months or so. However, this is just my opinion.

Yay! Meg was 20 weeks old when she graduated. We put her in a three week daily all day training program a week after that and she loved it. I don't think that I would have started her before 20 weeks but you could always start and see. The training facility will probably let you continue from where you leave off if you have to stop.

I agree that waiting would probably be wiser - not for intellectual reasons, but for social reasons. It's like those genius kids that graduate from college at age 12.... they may be able to handle the intellectual demands, but they have weird, unfulfilling, difficult, stunted or overwhelming social circumstances to cope with. As smart as she is, you don't want to give her a bad social expereince, since she'd have a hard time un-learning it. JMO, of course.