BC Boards

Jin hospitalized.

The suggestion about seeing if you can feed Jin is a good one, it might be quicker. My Sami turned up her nose at food and water after her spay. A tbs of chicken broth in a cup of lukewarm water got her interested and we had no problems after that.

Hmm, my bet for the cost is 2600. Blue is my best color.

Ruth

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't count how many times I tried to get on to see how Jin was doing!!

So glad the news is good....sigh of relief.

Don't know Vets charges over your way but will gues $2345 but hope it is much less .

Of course when our pets are ill we would sell our shoes to get them well again.

Meg sends a gentle 'woof' to Jin .

Ranger,

Still praying for Jin; not being able to access the boards made me crazy! Big thanks go to the administrators for fixing the problem; they are probably unsung heroes!

Our elderly Travis had two bouts of vestibular syndrome last year, and he stopped eating totally from the dizziness and accompanying nausea. Started losing weight big time. We had to give him his meds buried in the middle of a little bullet of cream cheese (not much taste in cream cheese, and it slides down easily).

Our vet had us put tiny bits of cooked mashed liver on his tongue and stroke his throat to get him to swallow. Did this every 20 minutes or so, rather than try to get him to eat an appreciable amount at any one time.

It took quite a while, but he recovered completely. He was never a big eater before; now, thanks to the liver treats (we now grind up cooked liver with water in the blender, pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it, for one thawed cube a day in his kibble), he's turned into a Golden Retriever (we all know how they eat; I had five of 'em -- not all at once! LOL!).

To control nausea, we also gave Travis (on advice of vet) Bonine (meclizine). Think Dramamine. However, I wouldn't recommend that you do that -- especially with a puppy -- unless you consult with your vet.

Hope Jin gets his appetite back and continues to improve.

Best,

Mary and Travis the Trickless WonderDog

Finally back on! I was going nuts not knowing how Jin was doing! This puppy should have his own website by now! :rolleyes:

"I bid $1.00 Drew!" :D

Keep on keepin' on!

Pam

I've been going through a little forum withdraw as well.

Jin is home and discharged. He wasn't eating ad Dr. Teri though he would benifit if we brought him home. Last night he didn't eat anything at all. He slept on the bed with me, which is normal, but every time he moved, even flicked his ears I woke up. When I moved he moved over to remain in physical contact all night. Same thing when I crashed for an hour earlier today. He just wanted to be in contact. This morning he woke up and boinced into the kitchen looking for food. He only ate a little but it's a start. Throughout the day he ate a bit more and started to drink and for dinner he just ate about what a 4wk old puppy would eat. He's happy, bouncy but still weak and tires easily. He also played with Mookie, growled a bit and even barked thenn sat "on watch" which he like to do. I need a photo of that.

We're on our way over to my Aunts for dinner with the kids and I'll come back later with photos and some other stuff.

Best news we've heard all week. A few days ago I came home from eleven days in the hospital after major abdominal surgery that my family was told I might not survive.

What did I think about constantly in the ICU and later in my room? Jin!

We Border Collie people certainly are focused, I'll tell 'ya.

We are thrilled for you both!

Do you think there's a link there? Maybe Border Collie people picked Border Collies because they too are extremely focused! OCD loves OCD! :rolleyes:

Slight hijack, maybe. Get well Mary. Abdominal surgery is no fun. DH had emergency abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery a few years ago. Very serious stuff. Almost didn't make it. Glad you're finally home though. As Jin can attest to, it's easier to heal at home! Take it easy. Thoughts and prayers for you too.

Best news we've heard all week. A few days ago I came home from eleven days in the hospital after major abdominal surgery that my family was told I might not survive.

What did I think about constantly in the ICU and later in my room? Jin!

We are thrilled for you both!

MARY!!!!

When I read that I teared up. How could you think of Jin when you were in danger?. smitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gif Oh my! Much love to you *hugs kisses* Get better please for me and Jin.

Here I wasn't going to do this until I read Mary's post. these are for her.

When do I get to go home? This thread is attached to his cage. Rachael said the staff read it to Jin.

Vet2-2612.jpg

Caption: Get me outa here. Of course there has to be a picture of the blue eye.

Comehome1.jpg

Dr. Teri D: I owe her for Jins life. She Rachael, Shaira, and the others were fantastic.

They also spoiled Jin and gave him extra attention.

Comehome2.jpg

Before removing the IV line and giving him a bath. Expect to see this one on a T-shirt.

Comehome3.jpg

I like looking out the window.

Comehome4.jpg

Up and alert all the way home.

Comehome5.jpg

This has been and exhausting and very emotional week. After re-reading the thread I find it's was for you as well myself. Jin and I shall be grateful to all of you for a very long time. Mary will never be forgotten for her thoughts. It has been suggested that Jin have a website or blog. Seriously?? That's possibly a subject for another thread. After all thinking about how bad business is maybe I could make Jin a net idol and make a few bucks off his fuzzy butt.

Most important of all Jin is home. He's eating and in the long run that's all that counts.

Again thank you for all of your support. It truly was a great help.

Steve.

MARY!!!!

When I read that I teared up. How could you think of Jin when you were in danger?. smitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gif Oh my! Much love to you *hugs kisses* Get better please for me and Jin.

Here I wasn't going to do this until I read Mary's post. these are for her.

When do I get to go home? This thread is attached to his cage. Rachael said the staff read it to Jin.

Vet2-2612.jpg

Caption: Get me outa here. Of course there has to be a picture of the blue eye.

Comehome1.jpg

Dr. Teri D: I owe her for Jins life. She Rachael, Shaira, and the others were fantastic.

They also spoiled Jin and gave him extra attention.

Comehome2.jpg

Before removing the IV line and giving him a bath. Expect to see this one on a T-shirt.

Comehome3.jpg

I like looking out the window.

Comehome4.jpg

Up and alert all the way home.

Comehome5.jpg

This has been and exhausting and very emotional week. After re-reading the thread I find it's was for you as well myself. Jin and I shall be grateful to all of you for a very long time. Mary will never be forgotten for her thoughts. It has been suggested that Jin have a website or blog. Seriously?? That's possibly a subject for another thread. After all thinking about how bad business is maybe I could make Jin a net idol and make a few bucks off his fuzzy butt.

Most important of all Jin is home. He's eating and in the long run that's all that counts.

Again thank you for all of your support. It truly was a great help.

Steve.

Yea! That's great.

Mary

You guys are all making me cry with your kind thoughts, and all I wanted to do was to convey to Ranger how much Jin means to all of us -- how we all thought of him and sent prayers regardless of our circumstances. He was (and is) so much of our consciousness, and will continue to be so as he improves and moves into the life he was meant to live with you, Ranger.

Consciousness and unconsciousness -- they are so connected. The Recovery Room nurse said to Al, "Mary keeps mumbling about gin; we have to make sure she understands that she absolutely cannot drink in the hospital."

He totally cracked up. "She's not really a drinker; one glass of wine puts her under the table. She's talking about a puppy named Jin."

He got some strange looks until he explained it in a little more depth. (Maybe the nurses had thought I was pouring gin into my wine and my husband was fooled?)

Seeing the pix of Jin was so exciting; I'm gonna go and look at them again as soon as I sign off. Thank you for posting them, Ranger!!!!

It's a great day for us sick puppies, even though it's raining here in the Pocono Mountains. I'm so happy; I feel like hugging y'all. YAY!!!!!!!

~~ Mary and Travis the Trickless WonderDog

Boy, put me on the list too of people addicted to both this Board and to Jin, the Marvellous Stoic Hero Puppy (he reminds me of my first bc, Riley, the way he sits up in the front seat of the car, looking all around).

I am overjoyed that he`s back with you Ranger Steve and will require that we get regular updates on his exploits :rolleyes:

Ailsa

P.S. All the best to you too Mary and hope your recovery is speedy and relatively pain-free.

This is the first time I've been able to access the board since Thursday evening. I thought of Jin often and if I could do a cartwheel, I would.

But if I did, I would be the one in the hospital. :rolleyes:

Soo glad Jin is home and mending well. I'm bawling like a baby right now.

Give your sweet boy a tummy rub from me and a gentle nudge and ear washing from Lewie.

And this is for Dr. Teri: a dark pink rose signifying gratitude

post-8416-1238331616_thumb.jpg

untitled.bmp

I will see that Teri gets it.

There have been 3 Mary's in my life.

The first one was a girlfriend right after I returned to the states. We were very much in love. OUr relationship fell apart because Surra would corner her and just sit there and stare at Mary until she burst into gales of laughter. One day she told me as much as she loved me my stupid dog drove her crazy and left. I wasn't upset or depressed, I just looked at Surra and said, "Thanks a lot, now I have to start over".

The second Mary was in 1993. After an incident at work that left me severely injured and unemployed for almost a year a friend said come work for us. Mary, the owner of an adventure tour company, took me in as a family member. I regained my lost confidence learned how to be an actor and a guide and became Ranger Steve over the next 15 years. Because of her I was rated the top guide in the area 5 years running.

The third Mary is here. I have no words to convey how I feel about a crazy lady from the Poconos I've never met. Mary, I have your thoughts and comments and you are going to be famous among my friends and family.

Mary - many good thoughts going your way. Your story about the doctors thinking that you were into Gin at the hospital made me laught :rolleyes: Cannot tell you how happy I am that Jin is home - seeing him alert- looking out the window in the car - I know that look, it won't be a second before he is demanding all your attention. Kudos to this wonderful community - it is wonderful to know it exists.