BC Boards

Question(s) about chickens

OurBoys

Can the ones who have tractors post some pictures of them??? I would also be interested in pictures of coops as well, inside and out. Does anyone use their tractor as a coop or do you have both?? And if you aren't satisfied with your tractor/coop, what would you do different?

FWIW, we have decided to abandon the broiler idea. Just couldn't make it work. We will probably get a straight run of some heavy layer and dress the males. Grain is simply too expensive to feed to chickens right now. Broiler mash is $37/CWT, which means we would probably have about 84 cents of grain in every pound of meat, even allowing for pasture consumption, plus the cost of chicks, equipment, and electricity. I just can't get the cost of production down below $3.25/lb, even if I ignore all labor and we do the processing ourselves.

I can buy free range organic chickens in the store for $2.79/lb.

• 7 months later...
Yeah, only the quick probably wouldn't have won if darn JellyBean had been handy! I'm squeamish about killing things like mice myself, so I need a cat, or chicken, or some other critter to do it for me. That mouse got lucky....

Brenda,

A cover isn't a crazy idea at all. I almost suggested it myself as a way to protect from winged predators. Also, you can get solar powered fence chargers for use with electronet.

I've never used a heat lamp or other warming device in winter. At least in this climate, healthy birds should be able to manage just fine without, especially if they're in a draft-free (not airtight) coop.

J.

If you have Layers, or ducks laying , they do better at laying in the shorter daylight hours with supplemental light. FWIW...

I've never used a heat lamp or other warming device in winter. At least in this climate, healthy birds should be able to manage just fine without, especially if they're in a draft-free (not airtight) coop.

I've been wondering if we're gonna need a heat lamp to get through winter. I've never needed one before but I wasn't in CO either. I'm also waiting for my 6 month old chickens to start laying. I was thinking a light would help get them started. NOw to go do it!

I saw the coolest chicken tractor thing on Renovation Nation I think it was DIY or Discover channel. THey were built out of 1x2's and chicken wire. Shaped in a triangle with a triangle shaped enclousure at the end. Wheels on the wieghted side (with the house) and a long pole extending out the other side where you could hook up and drag it to the new spot. I recorded it for later refrence. Even DH thought it looked good. And he's not into helping much so I have to save him for real important or hard stuff that I can't do alone.

I raise chickens for eggs and fun. I enjoy watching them and listening. I HATE butchering them so only get egg layers. Really I'm such a baby, I like Aracauna's(sp?) cause I like getting colored eggs! But I have noticed how expensive these guys are compared to a couple years ago. Glad I only have 9 birds. Only one accidental rooster but he's my favroite guy so guess he was supposed to be here.

If I added up what it cost for these birds, organic eggs from the market would be cheaper but then I wouldn't get to enjoy my birds!