BC Boards

How did you name your farm/ranch?

JaderBug

We named our farm after "Emma" our first Border Collie, I had been dating my wife and we saw Emma at our county fair were her daughters were showing sheep and cattle, we were walking through a barn and this young lady had 2 border collie puppies for sale, well Emma jumped up in my arms and started kissing me, and wagging her tail, well i had always wanted a B/C but still lived with a roomate and had no real yard to speak of, so that night we talked about it and mollys daughters talked her into letting me get Emma and keep it at her house with her cattle dog cross and beagle, after getting Emma home she told me "now you have to buy her a farm and sheep " ! I was like "huh"? LOL so 4 months later we had found a small 2 acre farmette in a great area and though it took several months to finally get it, we moved in and got engaged, while looking at the farm we noticed it had Daisys in the large garden next to the house, so I rememberd that snoopy came from "daisyhill puppy farm" and since we bought the place because of Emma I said "hey" how about " Emma's Daisyhill Farm" and it stuck !

• 1 month later...
Hello Everyone,

My farm name is "Trial & Error Acres" for two reasons. First, I learned about keeping and managing sheep mostly by "trial and error", so the name seemed quite appropriate. Also, the purpose of the farm was to train my dogs for stockwork and sheepdog trials. So, we would go to a "trial" and make an "error", which we would then come home to correct. Hopefully, I have learned a lot in the seventeen years I have had the farm, but there is always more to learn.

Regards,

nancy

I saw one of your BC pics on sheep101.info, under the sheepdog section. The picture said "Courtesy of Trial and Error Acres", and I immediately recognized that name :rolleyes:

We don't have a working farm, but when we bought this place my cousin said we needed to name it. After weeks of moving everyone in and getting everything "just so", we were relaxing on the front porch for the first time and he said it should be the Lazy G Ranch, because we were being lazy (lol) and G is the first name of my grandparents last name, and it was them who enabled us to buy the place.

• 2 months later...

When I'm sure I finally have won, maybe I will! :rolleyes: Not quite there yet, though. Darn it.

I should probably also confess that I grew up with a strong liking for science fiction and fantasy -- and that I'm not at all far from the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country. So the "hex" connection feels appropriate.

I've even been toying around with making my own private "hex sign" to put on my barn, as a private in-joke. :-)

Here it is the last week of July... still haven't gotten the bad well problem resolved, alas. And still haven't sold the old house, though we dropped the price by $20,000 last month and activity went up again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I only need one buyer... I only need one buyer...

Liz S

of Hex[ed] Hill

Liz, you ought to name yours twicewon.