BC Boards

Vibes/Prayers for Blaze

Could you send a few? He torn the bottom half of his nail off except for a little piece that is on.

It's obviously extremely painful for him as he yelps if I touch it. :rolleyes: It has been cleaned with hydrogen perixide, but we'll be going to the vet in the morning. Right now he's lying down beside me. He seems to be settling down a little, but it still looks pretty nasty and painful!

Mojo coming Blaze's way. It it's any consolation, this is a fairly common injury for very active dogs, and he should recover just fine. The vet may give him some antibiotics and remove the rest of the toenail, but he'll recover pretty quickly!

J.

Like surgery to remove the whole nail? :rolleyes:

Yes, I know it's pretty common, and I was partially expecting it since he's an active, male border collie. It's not the worst thats happened, and atleast he will walk on it. But still, since he didn't just rip the whole blasted thing off like any normal dog would do ( :D ), it has me worried.

Pip was my most recent dog to damage a nail. It was still firmly attached enough that the vet wouldn't remove it without sedation (I wanted it removed because it was obviously painful and kept bleeding). Pip participated in a sheepdog clinic the following weekend (although I did wrap the foot so nothing would poke into the empty toenail "socket"). I imagine it depends on how Blaze has broken it--the vet may just choose to trim it really short. Pip had broken his all the way up against his toe, so it really made sense to just take it off. That was early January. He now has a short toenail there--growing in slowly.

J.

Milo and Charlie send mojo, since they've both been there several times. It's a pretty simple procedure. Once the nail is clipped off, your dog will feel much better and they usually heal within just a couple of days.

Yup, Jack has done it, too. That's when he had the bad reaction to Ace, which the vet used to "sedate" him to clip the rest of the nail off and clean it. The Ace was the worst of it, the toenail healed up in no time. Good mojo headed out for Blaze.

Ouch! Hope Blaze feels soon!

Missy did the same thing once. I was out of town for a day with her, so I just clipped the nail completely off at the break 'cause it looked really painful just flopping back and forth. I took her to the vet the next day and she got a round of antibioics - and instructions to keep it bandaged for 2 weeks (yeah, right. I have a Border Collie) I just put a boot on her when we went out to play and she hardly skipped a beat.

Izzy's out right now because she tried to tear all the skin off around a nail. Must be the season for it.

Good God Izzy. . .

Update:

Went to the vet this morning. They thought he was in for a nail trim so they strangled him up on the weighing machine so tight he couldn't move, I'm like "Uhh, what are you doing?" Vet tech: "He's here for a nail trim right?" "No. . .I trim his nails myself just fine, see the broken nail just hanging there?" Vet tech: "Ohhh!" :D

Then she comes in and muzzles him (He's seen the vet for worse before, boarded there, EVERY SINGLE VET TECH says he's so sweet, yet they muzzle him? :rolleyes: Sorry, he's never been muzzled before and I wasn't too happy about it. Then both the vet and vet tech left the room, but Blaze is still tied extrmely tight to the machine with a muzzle on, so he panics and starts rearing up and using his hurt paw to try and get the muzzle off.) THEN the vet comes in and says to sedate him (which I wanted), so they take the muzzle off, give him the shot, and POOF! Down he goes like -as the vet said to Blaze- "Feeling a little drunk like on saturday night, huh boy" :D

Blaze had ripped the outter half off but it really wasn't in the quick part, but it did get very red. So the vet just quickly snatched it off, cleaned up up a bit, and he's good as new!

Oh, and he's OUT. Like totally OUT. He can't walk, his tongue hangs out a little, and when I pick him up it's like carring a dead dog.

3349472590_133f0a9e78.jpg

I'm surprised they didn't reverse the sedation before sending him home so you didn't have to deal with a big drunk dog! He should be feeling like new in no time.

J.

This is South Alabama Julie, she's lucky they didn't sedate him with beer. no, they don't bother to reverse anything. That would be like..er...thinking.

This is South Alabama Julie, she's lucky they didn't sedate him with beer. no, they don't bother to reverse anything. That would be like..er...thinking.

Sorry, but that made me :rolleyes: It's about the truth down here.

In all reality, they did ask if we wanted to reverse the sedation, but 1) It already cost $80 ($40 was the office visit, I swear if this wasn't the only decent vet in town, I'd be gone *grumbles* and 2) I didnt mind if he was sedated for a little while, it would help keep him off the paw for a few more hours.

On an interesting note, I asked the vet what he thought of the 3 year rabies vaccince and he really didn't have any answer. . .

I'm sure Blaze will be just fine. My toy poodle once ripped two nails completely out. Lots of blood. I left them alone and they grew back no problem. I've also had my dogs blow their pads out. I would put antiseptic on them, wrap them and continue working them. Dogs have amazing healing abilities and if you don't baby them too much they forget about it fairly soon. I would be concerned if my vet treated my dog that way. To muzzle them immediately and string them up can sometimes create tension in the dog where there wouldn't be any. My vet once pulled a foxtail out with forceps that was deep in the ear canal with no anaesthesia at all. Just a vet tech and me holding him on his side and telling him to not move. The vet was impressed. Glad he's home and on the mend.

I'm glad they sedated him. Blaze is a very aware dog. And I don't mean he's aware like if you do something he's aggressive. I just mean even though he was sedated very heavily, he still flinched/pulled back his paw when the vet pulled the nail off and was cleaning it.

And I guess I'll mention, too, that even though he had the muzzle on he still wagged his tail when the vet tech was holding his head and baby talking him. :rolleyes: