BC Boards

Baird Creek Border Collies

Baird Creek has been an AKC Breeder of Border Collies in the Excess of 15 years.

Beginning when the family was young, we imported calm Border Collies noted for their Temperament and Conformation rather than their "herding" ability.

We became a Breeder of Family Oriented Border Collies.

Over a period of years, Baird Creek Kennels has established a foundation of AKC Border Collies. We currently breed Blue & White, Black & White, Red & White, and Sable & White.

And they have an "affiliate" - in Swafford terms, that's someone who raises even more pups for them. Geesh. And I thought the other website under discussion was a sad thing. This one is pretty repulsive. At least they are all AKC and open about that, and their dogs should not be confused with responsibly-bred, working-bred dogs whose color is immaterial.

As Melanie pointed out, if you already have a dog from these folks, why are you pretending you don't know anything about them?

Baird Creek Border Collies are family-friendly, medium energy dogs. Each dog has it's own identity so when you choose, you know you are choosing a friend for life. The females average between 25-35 pounds and the males between 30-40 pounds. . When you choose your Border Collie, look for a good attitude and a positive work ethic. Baird Creek tries to produce an all-around dog who can perform in a show ring, in a herding ring or just a catch a frisbee for fun.

If you are interested in a:

Show dog, you might find the AKC website interesting....

Herding dog, you might find the American Border Collie Assocation....

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Are they still good dogs? I don't have control over my testimonials. She asked me to give a report a few years ago, but I got back weird emails that were CC'd to lots of people. So I went away. I was hoping things had changed or if there was some competition out there. I ended up with a runt for 600 and she has skin problems and selective hearing. Breeders can change though. So I was hoping someone had some different feedback. I appreciate any help.

Might I add that I wasn't coming to this site to get pushed around. I am glad Melanie is keeping track of me. I also didn't know that Baird Creek was a puppy farm. With my last dog, an Aussie, the breeder asked me to be a reference for her. This happens. It is now 2009. I will see if I can get her to remove my information without the CC's.

Thank you for the help. :rolleyes:

Are they still good dogs?

I guess that's a matter of opinion. I see you've been here for a few years. Have you ever read the "Read This First" section of this forum? I think if you had, you'd already have the answer to your question. You apparently bought one dog from these folks and were happy with it. You say breeders can change. You are familiar with this breeder. Does anything appear to have changed? I just went and looked at the website. All I could tell is that they're breeding candy colored "borders" and asking a lot of money for them. I can get a pup with great working potential for the price of a deposit at that place. Anyway, you've certainly been here long enough to understand the culture of this forum, so I don't quite get why you're asking about this breeder?

J.

I don't have control over my testimonials.

Who does then?

Hi, I am interested in getting a companion for my dog and there is a breeder in Temecula who comes up. I read an old posting about the breeder but didn't see what other saw then. Thanks in advance for the help.

Your original post seems quite disingenuous on the face. What you originally said is far from: "I bought a dog from her several years ago and the dog has problems. Does anyone know anything about this breeder?"

I still don't understand what you want. You own a Border Collie from this breeder and you're coming here asking us if she has good dogs?

I know I haven't been drinking tonight ...

Are they still good dogs?

In a word: NO!

OK, to the Op--since you have been on this board for several years, I would assume you have read the sticky about breeding only for working ability, blah, blah, blah...

I have a training facility less than an hour from these folks (in CA we judge how far away something is by time, not miles) where I train WELL BRED WORKING BCs to a high level of work for both trials and real work on real ranches. I have NEVER heard of these people (thankfully). 'Nuff said?

A

ETA: and I have been drinking tonight...

Are you asking whether there's any better place in the universe to get a new Border Collie?

Um, yes? Like, a few thousand places maybe?

I love the picture where they won't even bother to try to pose the female who is standing on top of a bunch of kibble scattered on the ground (presumably in a dirty kennel).

Hey, what's the big deal? I definitely want a dog who will perform well in the herding ring :rolleyes::D:D

I liked this testimonial: "our dog from Baird Creek is fantastic at herding...and he is only 4-months-old." Guess you can spot a champion earlier if you're 'herding in the ring'.

I ended up with a runt for 600 and she has skin problems and selective hearing.

Hello Elounda, with this quote, you have answered your own question. If the breeder overcharged you for what is clearly a poor quality animal you should not buy another from that breeder.

Worse than the likelyhood of getting another dog with problems, you support the breeding of dogs with problems when you buy from this breeder. Dogs like theirs end up in shelters and are killed by the thousands every day, by the millions every year. And beyond that you are supporting the AKC, which has an active culture that causes wretched suffering to dogs.

I'm sorry if you were offended by any responses to your question, but we feel very strongly about the preservation of the working border collie. We know that breeders like this one are a threat to our dogs and I too wonder why you are asking about this breeder when you probably know more than we do.

Cheers all,

Ok ... I keep replying to myself. I don't know why I am finding this site so entertaining (perhaps it's the beer I cracked after Anna made me jealous in the other thread), but here's another one:

In most of our photos you will see the dogs being active. They are free to run and play which makes it difficult sometimes to get a perfect shot.

Can someone please show me what she was talking about?

Here are the boys and here are the girls. And here are some photos of the "at play". In scrolling through the first 8 photos, I almost spewed my beer all over my screen! And look at how "active" the puppies

are! Whoa Nellie! Slow down! It's making me tired looking at these active dogs! Whew!

The size of the dog also varies but does stay within the AKC standards. Traditionally the Border was "farm stock" quality which meant trim and lower to the ground for faster work between the livestock.

This one takes the cake! What in the hell does this mean??? LMAO!

They're not even well bred for Barbie Collies. These people aren't doing anything at all with their dogs as far as I can tell, not showing them, not anything. They aren't even proving their dogs breedworthy within the Barbie paradigm. They're just making puppies.

I find the breeding behind their dogs interesting, since show/AKC people often like to point fingers and talk about how working breeders don't care where they place their puppies and don't sell on spay/neuter contracts and yadda yadda yadda (although frankly these criticisms are, often, true). These people were apparently able to buy dogs from very well-known, supposedly reputable Barbie breeders to stock their puppy mill. I'll admit I'm surprised, I did think that Barbie breeders screened better than that. Oh well. Pot, kettle, black.

Just had to add to this thread. I had a very interesting discussion with a dear friend this morning who has been affiliated with our local BC rescue for many years. I had heard the woman's name who breeds these dogs, but never the kennel name. So, anyway, now I've put 2 and 2 together. These dogs have a reputation, and have for YEARS, as having big time temperament issues. Over the years, three of her dogs came into the rescue with their ACK papers, 4-5 more without papers, but the rescue was told where the dogs had been purchased, and a number (6+) of others who have the "look" of this kennel's dogs. I've seen them. In fact, my friend had pulled one from the shelter maybe 6 weeks ago, and was fostering her, and finally had no choice but to put her down the other day. That has been the same fate for all the others the rescue has dealt with, as well. Why? Unprovoked biting of humans. Out of the clear blue. No bite inhibition whatsoever.

A