BC Boards

I punched a dog!

Maybe I should avoid elementary school several blocks down from my house. I posted a week or 2, that Bandit was bitten there by a Rodent ( most likely a muskrat.)

Well today also at 6:30 am I was riding through playground with Bandit hooked up to my Bike by Springer gadget. Woman had her 2 Australian cattle dogs there. Same woman also has 2 border collies that she brings alternately.

The larger of her 2 cattle dogs attacked Bandit. Had him on the ground by his hind leg thigh and wouldn't release him. Bandit was screaming. Woman could not get her dog to release Bandit. I was not gonna allow her dog to seriously injure mine. I punced him on the top of his head and he released Bandit.

Of coues woman apologized and said her dog was scared of Border Collies. I can't help but wonder if it's because of the 2 border collies she also has.

Now I know why the Springer gadget has a safety release. Bandit did break loose from the bike when the dog attacked him.

Except for a little blood, I don't think Bandit was hurt too bad. Hope not anyway!

Poor Bandit! She should have kept her dogs under control! And I find it very unlikely that a ACD is going to be scared of BCs and that ANY dog that is scared of another dog would run up to said dog to attack! Now, if there is fear and it was Bandit that went up to her dog, I could see it. Not the other way around!

Hope Bandit is going to be okay!

Next time, punch her! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dixie_Girl:

Next time, punch her! :rolleyes:

*thumbs up*

Glad Bandit is okay!! Give him a hug for me please

Odin was attacked by a small little dog in the park one day and if his ownder wouldn't have pulled him off in time I would have kicked his little brown butt like a football! :mad:

Originally posted by PSmitty:

I'm glad Bandit wasn't hurt.

Well, there was blood so please check very carefully for any punctures that might be hiding under the fur. Even a small one can end up abscessing which can make your dog very sick. Many years ago, my dog was bit with one puncture wound. I thought I had cleaned it out sufficiently then my dog developed a fever and screamed if your hand came close to the wound. Antibiotics cleared it up, but I've taken dog bites very seriously since. If it was just a scrape, Bandit should be fine.

Are you sure the biter is current on rabies vaccine?

Fergie has been bitten twice.

One time, we knew the dog, who even went to the same vet. And the vet verified that Emma was safe.

The second time it was a half-wolf. The vet checked online and the owner didn't even have the required permit to own the bitch (yes, with puppies in the garage). Without the permit, he couldn't get a vet to vaccinate. So Fergie had to get a booster, per Animal Control. Otherwise, we'd have had to board her in isolation for 10 days.

I'm so sorry to hear about Bandit. Glad he is ok. Sounds like the woman is just making excuses for her dog, and that she knows he has a real problem. If you and Banidt, go there again, I strongly encourage you to bring mace.

I can't believe she let her dog do that. I would have done the same thing. I'm glad Bandit is ok. I agree, I would get some mace too, nothing works like that stuff. Believe me. lol. Stay safe. God Bless

Thanks for your replies!

Where does one buy mace?

Nice to hear others don't blame my actions, and would do something to prevent their dog from getting seriously injured by another dog.

In the future, besides mace or punching , how should you get an attacking dog to release yours.

I really don't want to permanately harm an animal, but I'd do anything to keep Bandit safe. When Bandit started screaming I would have used a stick if one was near by. I was a little worried about my hand feeling sore for a day.

Mace is one of many good brands of pepper spray. Besides the size of the cannister, there are different types of spray. I recommend either "stream" type, which is like a squirt gun, or "foam" type which is a sticky foam. Both of these are less likely to blow back at you in a breeze than the "fog" type of spray. There are lots of sources for pepper spray, online, Ebay, and sporting goods stores.

If you don't mind carrying a big cannister, you can get a spray that's designed to ward off bear attacks!

Try a bike shop. We cyclists use Halt! rather than get knocked off into traffic.

Or ask a meter reader or on-foot mailman.

Do check the local laws. I believe that Mace is illegal in Massachusetts. Don't know if Halt! is.