BC Boards

Welcome to Carol Campion!

Hi, Everyone:

After months of faithful service to our boards, Vergil has earned a reprieve. I'm sure all of you agree with me that he's done a tremendous job answering questions. Carol Campion has agreed to serve as resident expert for the new several months, a return engagement (she was one of our first experts several years ago, when the "Ask an Expert" forum was first established. Carol comes from Connecticut and is well known for her sensible, thoughtful methods of starting young dogs. I'm sure we'll all learn a lot from listening in on what she has to say. Thanks, Carol!

Guest carol campion

Hi Folks

Thanks for the welcome. Heather—thanks for the opportunity.

Virgil deserves a big thanks for a job well done and for helping out for so long. He will be hard act to follow, but I'll do my best.

For me being invited back is coming full circle. Sam Furman was the first Expert a number of years ago and I followed a few months behind her. Over the years, the Boards continued to have many great moderators.

All that being said.......fire away.

Carol

Guest carol campion
Welcome Carol and thanks for all your help. We are going to a USBCHA trial this weekend. What can we expect to see? Never been to one. They will have a arena trial and also a farm/ranch trial. We are just going to watch. Narita in AZ

HI Narita

How are the dogs going?

USBCHA trials. Here's what I hope you get to see:

Arena trial: calm, precision handling; dogs working calmly even though in close contact with sheep.

Field trial: dogs showing natural ability; good outruns, balance; feel for sheep—handlers working with the dogs to usher the sheep is a workman-like fashion.

Because of the tight space of an arena trial, you need incredible precision and obedient dogs. Arena trials are in many ways more difficult than a field trial because the reaction time for fixing lines is non existent-you can't make any mistakes so it requires a well trained dog that doesn't panic when it needs a lot of commands and the sheep are tense. They do not require but do highlight a different set of skills from both dog & handler than a field trial, but skills, none the less, that are invaluable in a good dog. They are a blast to run in.

A field trial offers a showcase for the natural in a dog-a chance for handler and dog to work to fix lines and take control of the sheep. The sheep have a chance to flee in a field trial, so the dogs will be working against a draw in a different way than a tight space where the sheep have no where to go. You will still want to see calm and partnership, but there is more room for the dog to steady the sheep by having room to work a distance off them.

Both great opportunities for viewing.

I am sure people on this list will enjoy hearing about your experience.

Carol

Carol, the trial was such fun. The sheep were a bit tough but lots of folks to watch. Got to meet Jaime too from the board. Such a nice young woman. The dogs were great and beautiful to watch. We tried the pre nursery but didn't do well. Need to work more on downs and watching the sheep more. N