BC Boards

The zen of training?

john landry

Hi,

My experience with dogs (I have two BCs) is not really that impressive – slightly less than three years. Nevertheless, I feel the need to read something deeply different than the usual “teach your dog zillions of tricks” and the “step-by-step training” manuals. I’m looking for something more introspective, the (more or less) serious musings of an experienced owner/trainer/handler, his or her highs and lows, the soul-catching moments of living with dogs (preferably Border Collies). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John Landry

Do you mean training for stock work? I liked the Glynn Jones book as it described his life with dogs too. Also Julie Simpson's book was interesting about her life training horses and dogs. The Top Trainers book was good also. Not sure if that is what you wanted. N

Purely dog-related, I like "The Other End of the Leash" and "Bones Would Rain from the Sky". "Culture Clash" is also a good one, but kind of hard to follow at times. I've heard great things about "For the Love of a Dog". I believe Patricia McConnell has several BCs and a pyr herself, don't know about the other authors.

Donald McCaig has some great books on sheepdogs, etc. - not sure if they are fiction or not.

Ditto here on "Bones Would Rain from the Sky" and "The Other End of the Leash." They centered me when I was utterly clueless about what to do with my reactive dog. Took me to a higher level, where I was thinking of the big picture with my dog, rather than dealing with a thousand tiny details that looked unconnected. In fact, I think I read each of them three times within the first year of getting my dog. The fact that I haven't felt the need to read them in the three years since testifies to their effectiveness. :rolleyes:

Mary

You might like "For the Love of a Dog" by Patricia McConnell. She does delve a bit into dog psychology in the book, but there is also a great deal of reflection and introspection and good little anecdotes about her own dogs and some of her client's dogs.