BC Boards

Support please!

If you call some local animal shelters and rescues you should be able to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area. Spring is the time for babies and clinics to prevent them! They usually cost between $50 and $100 and the pet is only there for a day.

I just paid 98 to have dal Neutered I dropped him at 8:30 and picked him up at 2 pm I think he was only done at 12 but, there was an unexpected snow storm coming and they said he could not stay over night. They let me have him as soon as he was basically recovered.

I have a question to add that someone might know Dal was neutered through the abdomen with 5 stitches. Was he not fully decended? I'm sure I had no stitches with kirb.

Wow, good thing you don't have a female! You'd be a basket case!

Some places have a special "spay/nueter your dog" month and offer super cheap discounts! We had Buddy done for less than $75 US. We got a nueter certificate from the local humane society for $10 US and then went to a participating vet and got the meds, etc at a discount.

Did the same for our girl, but since it's a spay that costs more. I think it was $150 or a bit more after all was said and done.

In both cases (male and female) we dropped them off in the morning and picked them up before 5pm that same day. Your vet is pulling the wool over your eyes, so shop around.

Also, to ease your worries, ask the vet if they will call you when the surgery is over to let you know how it went. That's what ours does. Eases your mind and let's you know that they are resting (= out cold) comfortably and will be ready for pick up later that day.

Denise

You may feel silly, but you aren't, and shouldn't neuter Odin until you feel safe doing it - non-emergencies aside). I still remember the day an acquaintance came into our vet clinic to have her cat spayed. She was also having her horse put down that same day (chronic health problems she'd been trying to treat for longer than we'd known her). She was relatively ok with the spay - I was a nervous wreck and the vet didn't really appreciate my telling her the story before the operation. Everything did turn out fine, but for many reasons, you just get paranoid from time to time - and while not likely, it's not impossible that Odin could change or have a problem from the experience. I won't tell you NOT to neuter him, just wait until you feel ready. That said...

When you are ready, ask around if there's more than one vet in your area. Ask the procedure and they should be more than happy to call you - or you could call them -to check up on him. At the vet I worked at, we usually gave them a pre-sedative fairly soon after they came in. That with the anesthetic usually made them if not comfortable, at least pretty much unaware of who, what, when, or where. He might be a bit groggy coming home the same evening, may just want to sleep, not eat, that sort of thing, but shouldn't be too bad. I've seen some vets want them in the evening before to make sure they haven't eaten anything (you'd be amazed at how many of our patients vomited up huge amounts of food after they had't been fed since the night before by their owners), but it isn't always necessary. Not eating is a safety precaution - these dogs always vomited before surgery, while still pretty awake, because of some the the pre-sedative mix they were given. Castrations are very routine, and after 8 years, I never saw a complication. Our vets usually had a dog down, done, and waking back up in less than half an hour. The boys have it easy - I always felt more sorry for the girls.

I would definitely call some other vets if I were you. Unless there is some other medical problem that the vet is concerned about, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to pick Odin up in the evening on the day that you drop him off to be neutered.

I don't know anything about spaying, but we have gotten two dogs neutered and we never had to leave them overnight.

I for one have refused to leave my dogs overnight after spays, but I'm also well-versed in post-op care and very close to 3 ER vet clinics. The main reason I refuse is the clinics I use are not staffed overnight, so leaving them there unattended is actually a risk, IMO.

However, I would advise it for spays IF the vet hospital is staffed overnight. That's for spays, i.e. major SX. Neuters are less invasive. Keeping a dog two days for a neuter is insane and a rip-off. Most dogs would be fine with "outpatient" SX, as long as the owner was diligent in keeping the dog quiet and knew what to watch out for.

-Laura

Dally's mom

Each vet is different. Most vets I know make the incision above the scrotum, especially in dogs over 4 months of age.

Putting in stitches keeps the wound closed so it is less likely to get infected. Again, whether they put in stitches or leave them open depends on the vet.

Odin's Mommaa

You should not worry about feeling silly, Pegasus is 14 months old today and I've been looking for a vet that will let me be there when he is put under for the surgery and let me be there when he starts wakeing up after it's done. Because I'm still dealing with how Pegasus was traumatized from going through his OCD surgery that was 6 or 7 months ago. Also now after reading a post on the health board I don't know if I should wait another 6 months or so something about growth plates. Again don't feel silly.

Tom an Pegasus

Do you have SPCA or PETA in Canada? I had Bandit neutered for $45 at SPCA. PETA was doing them for $36 in traveling mobile trailer but I would have had to wait longer on a list for an appointment.

I too was very nervous having Bandit Nuetered on Dec 12th. He is my first male dog. I always had female dogs who were already spayed when I got them.

I took him to SPCA at 8am and picked him up at 1pm same day.

If you do have SPCA you might check with different cities since some have cheaper rates due to grants.

Guess you know after dog is Neutered he shouldn't have any physical activity for around a week. That worried me since Bandit likes jumping on chairs and window sills.

He came through it great with no complications.

Good luck!

I agree with pretty much everybody else here! I worked at an animal hospital for many years and can't remember keeping a routine neuter for any longer than overnight MAXIMUM. You are well within your rights to check out other clinics because it sounds like you're being taken advantage of.

...as an aside, is it true that PETA neuters pets? Am I the only one who thinks that sounds completely contradictory?

Add me to the list of those who say the price and the 2 night stay is quite extreme! I have had 11 dogs in my adult life time, all neutered or spayed over the past years and none ever left even over night. I to like Laura have a medical background and have experience with post op, but even so... 2 days! No Way!

Take your time and look around for other vets/ or options.

Poor baby, I agree with you about not wanting him to be away from mommy and daddy for that long. I had to take Phoenix to the vet about 2 mos. ago for stitching a minor injury, for only about 3 hours and cried almost the whole time, so you are not alone by a long shot...

And what the h--- is the Vet saying about keeping him so he dosen't get an infection??? have they heard of antibiotics!

Just check around, you can find a better solution for your boy Odin. I'm sure. Don't feel bad about being a concerned mom, that's what we do when we love with all our heart!!!!

PS... good luck to your hubby!!!

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone! I feel so much better now! :rolleyes: I've been busy helping my mom out with my little sister these past few days because she has a pretty bad flu but I'm going to start calling some vets tomorrow I'll let you guys know how everything turns out!

Thanks again for the help!

Luna got her little surgery from the local Humane Society. My vet did a great job on her there. Luna had a tiny insersion (I figure they get more pratice at spaying/nutering then anyone else, so should be best at it). In fact the only problem I had with the surgery was discussing wheather we needed to have calming pills (Luna is pretty calm in the vet's office, at home...Heh). I didn't end up needing them, but I had them in case. She bounced back to normal by her second day, so that ment five days of Luna being totally nuts!

Joe