BC Boards

Support please!

Okay, Mado's post about spaying inspired me to write this, although it is hard for me to do.

I feel like the crappiest dog owner ever. Odin is 15 months old and still not neutered

I have no intention of ever letting Odin do any hanky panky with another dog. No way. No how. Ever. When he is outside he is on a leash, and when he's not on a leash he's in a fenced area with dogs that are already fixed themselves. I would never let him "roam" or anything like that. Him getting another dog pregnant is not a worry for me, there is just no way on earth I would ever let that happen.

I am, however, worried about the different health problems he may develop in the future, or even attitude/behavioral changes when he gets a bit older if those parts stay intact.

Sure, we're low on money right now, but I want everyone reading this to know that it is NOT an issue. We just spent 300$ out of April's rent money on Odin's vet bills this month and if need be we'd do it again. We can always get money, somehow. Odin is our baby, he's worth it

Anyway, don't laugh and please don't chastise me because I feel so badly about it already, but the reason I haven't taken him to get fixed yet is because I am TERRIFIED of leaving him at the vet for 2 whole days. :rolleyes:

I keep having these horrible visions of him coming back to us traumatized or something. I just don't know my vet or the staff there well enough to feel comfortable enough to put my baby into their care for that long. Actually, I wouldn't leave him alone with my own family.

And won't he be all alone during the night? In a strange place with other strange animals, wondering where his momma and poppa are and why they left him all alone? :D

I know I am probably sounding really ridiculous to you all . . . there are so many people who've gotten their dogs spayed or neutered without a problem, so some encouragement would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read (and possible reply)

Edit: Just a little ps: Could you guys keep your fingers crossed for my hubby? He's up for a new position at his work and if he gets it it will mean higher pay - which we REALLy need! Not just for our bills and rent, but if he gets it we'll be getting a bigger apartment for Odin, closer to the park! :D

I for one don't think you are silly. It is perfectly normal. Just remember that dogs live for the moment. When you go pick him up, regardless of what he went through, he will be so happy to see you! He will forgive you the moment he sees you! If you have some worries about how he will react, perhaps the vet will let you drop him off for an hour or two while you run errands etc. then go get him. It will help him see that you will be back for him and may make it easier.

Other than repeating the health benefits over and over again, you will have to worry a 1,000 times more than neccesary and then be so relieved when you pick him up that all the stress you had will disappear!

It won't be easy, but it is possible! You can do it, we can help! :rolleyes:

I'm sympathetic to your worries, but I have never had an animal that wasn't neutered/spayed. My animals have all lived very long and very happy (I hope ) lives.

I don't think you're a "crappy owner" at all. You really don't have too much to worry about, however, if you get Odin neutered. He will still be the same dog when you get him back -- just sans a little swagger for a few days. My male dogs have always still maintained their manliness. :rolleyes:

The neutering procedure is not as invasive as the spay is and the dog is usually up and running within a few days with no side effects. It is usually less expensive, also. My last male dog was only at the clinic for 24 hrs. They do use a general anesthetic so there is a minimal risk involved, but the majority of animals come through the surgery with no problems at all. If you have a vet you trust, I would use them. You'll still feel guilty when you pick him up and he is groggy and not quite himself, but that will pass.

It is a hard decision to make, but I think neutering is right one. Also, "never" is a very long time and I have learned that "never" sometimes comes without you having much say in it.

Good luck to both you and your hubby.

Regards,

Thanks for the info!

I'm usually a big advocate of the old saying "never say never", but in this instance I felt confident enough to say it to get my point across. Odin doesn't do anything unless I allow him to and I consider myself a pretty responsible person when it come to that. (hopefully I'll get over my fear of leaving him at the vet and it will jus be impossible for him to impragnate a dog and then I could really say NEVER :rolleyes: )

The consequences are scary enough to make me feel okay with saying 'never' though, I felt it was necessary to let evertyone know that my motives for not getting Odin neutered were not icky ones like I want him to be a stud or something. Ew, even writing it seems icky. Kind of like I would never skydive or smoke or kill someone, etc :D

Of course, I guess I *could* have said "I'd almost never let Odin get another dog pregnant" or "I wouldn't let Odin get another dog pregant unless some crazy circumstance happened to cause an accident" or something like that, but then I probably would have sounded like a big dummy :D:D

I do understand what you are trying to say though :D

Thanks again for the reply!!

Edit: I just remembered something . . . This is a reason why I believe in the "never say never" thing as well . . . my sister in law had 2 children, then got her tubes tied. A few months later, whaddya know - she's pregnant with her 3rd. After the 3rd was born she got her tubes tied *again*. And a few months later . . . that's right, she found out she was expecting her 4th!! :D

Oh my god. I love you. Thank you for posting this! I have a male cat who isnt fixed. I love my cat.. love love love. It terrifys me to think of leaving him at the vet. I think of all these horrible possiblities, and I just cant do it. He is a house cat, and I never let him out. We're very careful not to leave doors open.. blah blah. So thank you for posting that. I feel the same way .. just about my cat. :rolleyes:

Riven was easier to take in.. I only had her a month. Rohan was over 6 months before the vet gave the ok to do it. I just cant imagine being without my boy lol

OMG, your poor sister-in-law!! :eek: I hope she found a new surgeon. :rolleyes:

I know how you feel, I can't imagine dropping Zoe off somewhere, even for a few hours without me. (She was spayed before I got her, thankfully!) But I did it with Oreo. The longest they ever had Oreo was overnight, for her spay. Neuters are much easier. I think for Zeeke's we dropped him off in the morning and picked him up after work?? Have you checked with your vet to find out how long they want/need him?

It's just one of those things you gotta grit your teeth and let go and get it over with. Then he'll be home and you can pamper him like the poor baby he is. :D

Odin's vet says he will have to keep him there for 2 whole days! :D

I guess letting me stay there with him the whole time would be out of the question, huh? :D:D

And yea, some of my relatives say I'm crazy for having a "big dog" inside :rolleyes: As if only small dogs deserve a warm home :eek: Other relatives/friends say I put too much of my time into Odin and that I should realize that he's "just a dog" :D

Oh well, what can ya do? :D

2 days! :rolleyes: Yikes.

I say other people spend too much time on their kids/cars/house/whatever. But luckily, it's not my life... and mine's not theirs. So I just tell them, you don't like the dog, don't come over. :D (Well, used to. Zeeke's kind of a legitimate concern for guests, lol!)

2 DAYS!?!?!?!

We dropped Dazzle off in the morning and picked her up that evening! The vets really are nice to your dog - they even put a sticker on Dazzle's medication list that said "star patient"! :rolleyes: Your boy will do fine - and I don't think that you are a crappy owner either.

But 2 days.....that is a long time to be without your pup.......

And here's one of the reasons I really need to crack down and take him to the vet . . .

:rolleyes:

Brandon%20%26%20Odin.jpg

Of course, it doesn't help when my husbands' cousin gets on the floor and flaunts his leg saying "Common Odie, I know you want me!" :D:D:D

omg ! I don't think you should let him be doing that.... :eek: About the neutering - I dropped Dylan off in the morning and picked him up in the evening too, so it was easier for both of us. I felt TERRIBLE and cleaned the house from top to bottom 'cos I couldn't concentrate on anything ! 2 days sounds long. Would your vet be charging you for that ??? Just be sure to ask the vet to do the bloodwork - and maybe ask for internal stitches. They are really neat and impossible (?) to pull out, and don't need to be removed which means you don't have to go back for that. Oh, and Odin won't have to wear a lampshade either. I remember reading before about financial assistance for people who can't afford to have their animals "done". You might want to do a search on that.

Zoe, thanks so much for the reply. If I had been there at the time, I assure you, Mr. Odin would not have gotten away with that. Alas, he was alone with a bunch of men who thought it was hilarious. :rolleyes: (Now you see why I hate to leave him! :D )

EDIT: Yes, he would be charging to keep him there. The cost of neutering in total would come to a little over 400$

2 days seems a really long time, with our vet you drop the dog off in the morning and pick it up in the evening normally!

Anyway, you shouldnt be as worried about leaving him so much. the vets will look after him very well. Tanya loved the vets when she was in getting her leg amputated. the nurses all fussed over her so she quite enjoyed it lol. Aswell when Tanya got her right back leg off, she went in in the morning and came out in the evening, now getting a leg off is alot more serious than getting neutured and our vet done it in a day.

Maybe you could look around and find a vet which would have it done in a day?

Yes, I think I will. I thought it was very odd as well, but the vet said it was necessary to keep him in so that there was no risk of infection. What do I know, right? I'm not vet, so what do I know? :rolleyes: So just thought it was the norm. The only other male dog I know personally who has been neutered is my husbands' aunts' dog and he was taken to the same vet.

EDIT: Yes, he would be charging to keep him there. The cost of neutering in total would come to a little over 400$ [/QB]
:eek: OMG. It didn't cost much more than $100 for Zeeke's neuter. That's an insane price. If it were me I'd be looking for a new vet... though if they're good, I don't know. Maybe you can just get him neutered somewhere else? 2 days and $400 seems excessive for a neuter...

I'm in Canada too and your vet is ripping you off. Talk to a local rescue group and find out where they go for their neuters because I GUARANTEE they are not spending $400.00 on every neuter.

Also, there is no reason your vet need to keep him for two days. There is a large portion of your $400.00 bill - boarding fees. Your dog can go home the same day he has the surgery. Neutering is SUCH a simple surgery, compared to spaying. In, out and the dog is ready to run around that night.

RDM

Agree with all who say that $400 and two days is a bit much but I know exactly how you feel about leaving your dog behind. The first time I left my dog at the vet I cried for hours as I thought she would be miserable. When I discovered that she wasn't, it kind of hurt my feelings! LOL!

But I would still look for a different vet, my vet is VERY over protective and he's never kept a neuter in over night, only a spay. I've had pups returned to me within half a day...

Good luck, look around,

Maria