BC Boards

He talks.

Mookie our rough collie has always been a very vocal dog. Lots of barking of course. She also talks, yips, gruffs, growls and whines. Until now it's never been a problem. However she talks to Jin and he's starting to talk back and worse bark. N ow I can probably put up with the talking as long is it doesn't get too obnoxious (should record some and post it) but barking is not something we want.

The floor is open.

I have a screamer. She's wonderful in most respects except for the screaming. She'll do it when she's happy/excited. To get it under control we named the behavior 'tell' allowing her to scream on request. It took a while for her to grasp it. It was alot like telling someone not to laugh when you tell them a very funny joke. This works for some, but not for others. But it's worth a try.

I'm interested to hear what people say about this. My parents have three great dogs that get extremely obnoxious when someone comes to the door. It's hard to control all of them, so most people get the impression that they're just yappy annoying dogs. Plus I guess the german shepherd can be pretty intimidating. :rolleyes:

I agree with Mona, when Jake gets overly vocal, I give him a command. Sit, Down, High Five, etc... It breaks him out of it.