BC Boards

Anonymous Breeder Name Requests

Gary,

Let's turn the question around and ask you where someone should go to find a "good" breeder? If they can't get that information here; then where?

As far as the discussions of planned litters and litters "on the ground"; do you suggest that we dog lovers NOT discuss our dogs during one of the most exciting times of their lives? That would be like telling new parents and grand-parents they cannot talk about or show pictures of their babies.

Mark

Mark,

Read the last 2 posts I put in this topic.

I am not going to re-quote them, but in essence it came down to how do you let a poster know every "good" breeder in a given area (Do you know EVERY good BC breeder within say, 150 miles of where you live?)

I think its great you people do what you do. Thats why I posted:

There are a large number of good trialer and / or breeders on this board.

The names that come to mind are: (In no particular order)

Christine Koval (Tweed - This years young promising dog award recipient)

Sam Furman

Terry Sheaffer (Mick - 2nd place Nursery)

Mark Billadeau (Jody - 30th Nursery, First time Nationals)

Renee Billadeau

Diane Pagel (Kane - 10th Nursery)

Eileen Stein (I believe breeder of Tuff, Run by Jeanne Weaver, 21st 2005 Nursery)

Denise Wall

I may not have spoken to some, I have agreed with some and I have disagreed with some.

Regardless of anything it in no way diminishes my respect for all when it comes to the dedication they have for the continuation and improvement of the breed.

I have never had any doubt or I believe have questioned about their concern for the welfare of any dog or their breeding integrity.

I further believe that any attempt by any of these people (or those I may have forgotten, or maybe do not know) to place their pups, when they may be available, is done so with the match of the dog and the owner at the forefront of their minds. I would not seek to impune, disparage or interfere with what is, in the end, what all of us seek. That being a good home for every dog.

If a poster comes on to this board any is given "private" breeder recommendations, who is included and who is not in the recommendations? If you are not on the list, but someone who lives close to you is, then why them and not you? And do you even know about it?

And my other question was why could I for example say (either privately or publicly) Mark and Renee breed and raise good working border collies (which I believe you do) so check them out, they MAY have what you are looking for, but you could not come on the board and say "I think I have what you are looking for."

Like you said in another post, you know your dogs better than anyone, so would you not be in a better position to advise a poster than someone who may (or may not) recommend you?

When it comes down to making information available for someone to make a decision, particularly on something a varied as a Border Collie, then all I am saying is make ALL the information available for the requester to make an informed decision, not just someone elses filtration of what THEY think the poster should or needs to know.

Gary,

Every time you ask for information on any subject, you'll get a "filtered" or biased answer. That's human nature. But if you don't ask for information (actively or passively), you can be sure of one thing; you won't become informed. Again, I state that this is among the better places to start gathering information on this breed. That is why I am not against allowing anyone (newcomers and long time posters) from asking for information, including personal recommendation(s) on breeders.

What you do is provide them with the name of a breeder you know will educate them on this breed; they call because they want something (a puppy) and now the "good" breeder has an opportunity to guide the buyer to the right decision (be it buy a stuffed toy, find a different breed, look at rescue, or buy a puppy with the right temperament).

Here ends my beating of this dead horse.

Mark