BC Boards

BCs and Kids

We're always telling people they need to expose their puppies to everything from an early age. Might be a good thing to socialize kids to dogs as well, right? Odds against being bitten are much better when you know how to behave appropriately around animals.

But, this is such a common misconception. Just raising a bc with kids will not assure that it will be good with kids (or vice versa). You need to have someone who is knowledgeable about bc behavior and is realistic about their responsibility in making sure the dog acts appropriately around the kids and the kids act appropriately around the dog. The dog also still needs to have mental and physical workouts that go beyond just chasing the kids around the back yard.

Or, you just have to get lucky and happen upon a bc without a lot of drive, that just happens to not practice any working dog behaviors on the kids, and that doesn't have any personal space issues.

Well, of course not. But if the dog is raised in a loving house where it becomes familiar with the sounds and movements of kids, then the dog will be less prone to being afraid or aggressive towards them. That is all I was saying. At no point did I ever say that a dog does not need training or supervision. My mom spent a great deal of time researching the breed prior to getting one for the family. But Casey was nothing more than a pet for us. She did a few obedience classes and played with us, walked with us, and ran along side our bikes with us.

Thoughts? Comments? Experiences?

I don't have an experience with a husband who does not want to raise kids with dogs, but I do have a bit of experience with marriage.

My thought - work it out before the wedding. If you go into marriage thinking you will change your spouse, you just might end up losing your dog, so make sure you're really OK with that in case he doesn't change his mind.

We're always telling people they need to expose their puppies to everything from an early age. Might be a good thing to socialize kids to dogs as well, right? Odds against being bitten are much better when you know how to behave appropriately around animals.

Very true. Besides the fact that, should the person want to work with dogs later in life, s/he will lack a certain instinct that can be gained only by growing up with dogs. The person may become a skilled handler, but will never be as good as s/he might have been had s/he been allowed to interact with dogs from earliest infancy.