BC Boards

Predators.

I just keep singing

Lions, tigers and bears oh my

then you have to add the rest of what Sam listed.

The makings of nightmares for sure!

I've been living alone for a while, I'm not afraid of people or really afraid of anything that might be lurking around here but the noises I hear outside do make me a bit nervous. Now I'm going to laugh at myself and think of Sam....being afraid of monsters in the woods takes on a whole new meaning.

The most we have to worry about down here are coyotes, eagles and the occasional owl. I don't own any chickens so the hawks aren't an issue. I have heard of mountain lion attacks nearby but I wonder how much truth there is in the stories that go around. Black bears have been sited but not a predator issue at this time.

Moving to CO is gonna be a whole new ballgame. I'll keep thinking about Sam so I can keep my witts about me!

I have had to shoot the pistol out the door late at night lately. I think there are 2 young coyotes that are pursuing Dew who is coming into heat. They were right infront of the house last night. I shoot into the pond so I don't accidentaly hit the neighbors cattle.

Of course I had an appointment to get Dew spayed next week before we left here.

Now I'm gonna have to wait till I get to CO. So much for my $100.00 spay. She stays by my side as long as she's coming in heat intill she goes out. She likes it that way. Then there's her bro (fixed) who thinks she's all his so he does keep watch for neighbor dogs that we don't know about. I still don't let her out unsupervised.

Wow....I just can't get over that list!

I always thought that the most dangerous place to be would be the beaches of Queensland. I have this vision of deciding to take a swim out to the Great Barrier Reef, only to step on a Lionfish and a Stonefish, then stung by a Box Jellyfish, poisoned by a Blue-ring Octopus, bitten by a Sea Snake, whipped by a Stingray, maimed by a Saltwater Crocodile, and disemboweled by a Great White. As I drag my bloody body back up the beach, I lose a couple of toes to a giant Land Crab, and am finally finished off by a pack of Dingos. What a fun vacation!

Bustopher, you got way too much time on your hands! :rolleyes:

Sam, I bet it's awesome though, to see such wild life. People have survived living around lots of potentially dangerous animals. The point is to know the danger, know the precautions, and never assume anything.

Now, if you could get a pic that looks like one of your dogs is herding the elephants we would all bow to you! LOL

KrisK, it’s not all bad out here, we do get great sunsets!

Just kidding, Linda is right; it’s awesome to be able to live/work in such a wild area. It really is a privilege to live out here, even if it is in the middle of nowhere!

At the risk of tempting fate, although we have certainly had adventures and close calls over the last 15 years involving lions, elephants and wild dogs etc, nothing has really paid too much attention to the dogs – long may that last!

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of the dogs herding elephants :rolleyes: , but I do have a few more photos (when something interesting does happen with the dogs, my camera is inevitably far away) that I will post in the gallery.