BC Boards

Finally... the breakthrough

THANK GOD!!! I finally figured out how to knock off Rivens dog aggression. Well.. not aggression but barking and barking and lunging and just acting like a heathen.

Today I was in our front yard, Riven on her leash of course. The neighbors let out their dog unleashed of course, and another neighbor kid at the same time popped up with this yappy dog. Riven obviously goes insane. So I stand there like my trainer said and let her bark. Praising her only when she sits down quietly. Except she didnt ever sit down and shut up. I stood there 10 minutes, the dogs had even gotten out of site and she was still there barking and lunging. I thought this is such BS. I went inside frustrated. The only reason I cant get her passing K9 good citizen is because of this behavior. So as I walkin my front door, the magic punisher jumps out at me. My cats spray bottle with just water. I grabbed it and she looked at me like, whatever.

I took Riven out and started walking her up the street. Pretty soon this little boy and the dog come into view, Riven goes ape. I sprayed her once and said no. IMMEDIATELY she stopped and sat next to me quietly!!!!!!!!! I continued to walk her even past this dog and she ignored it!!!!! On the way back she was pulling at the leash (I let her walk ahead of me unless I want her to heel). I sprayed water (1 squirt) in front of her to her side and she stopped pulling. She of course acted like I just beat the crap out of her but she stopped! On the way back she was calm passing the dog so I let her stop and play for a few minutes. So we get back in my yard. The kid comes by with this dog again as Im giving Riven the potty command. This boy is basically teasing Riven with the dog knowing I wont let her go. Riven mostly ignored the dog lookin in its direction once in a while. She finally stood there staring and I sprayed her (again 1 squirt) and she walked over and poo'd!!! Im so dam excited I could scream. I've been so embarrassed with her, people literally go to their window and look out to see what the commotion is about when she sees dogs. She doesnt care about treats, about "NO", just nothing when other dogs are around. But boy does she care about not getting sprayed. It was plain water!!! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO :rolleyes::D

HEY that's great!! That's a great example of an appropriate discipline that is enough to get the point across. Woooo hooooooooo!!

I really need to try that with Zeeke, he hates water really. Although it's not his leash behavior that needs correcting.

I should try that for when we have people come into our yard/driveway/up to the door. That is the only time I feel like I have little or no control. Hmmmm....

Congrats on the breakthrough, and thanks for sharing it with us!!!

~Kelly

lol "SHE" LOL :rolleyes: And man did she ever get her feelings hurt. Her head slumped between her shoulders and she acted all hurt. Made me feel horrible, similar to when she is told to lay down and not beg at the table and her poutty (sp?) little eyes look up at me so hurt. LOL :D I love my doggie.

Lol..I tried this and my pup loved it. however he is real voice sensitive so the "Angry Voice" works good for him. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by smileyzookie:

lol "SHE" LOL :rolleyes:

Oh, my deepest appologies! I am so sorry! Because of Jackson, I just think "male"! I have usually always had males! I've had Cheyenne 9yrs and still call her him!

Here's a biscuit for the lil girl! To be insulted twice in one day!