BC Boards

Do some dogs need a hug too?

I would simply ask the dogs. Each is different after all. Touch them a little, and see if they want more or less of it.

• 1 month later...
What? No face in my face? Just put your face to theirs. Warmth, furiness, fuzziness. that's also a closeness they like.

This is definitely not something I'd do with a strange dog but Riley loves this game. Sitting together I move in like I'm going to kiss his muzzle and he tries to get a lick in before I pull away. He tilts his head like he's pretending he's not going to fall for it but he has his eye rolled back looking at me then quick as a flash the head turns and out comes the tongue! I do a lot of kissing him on the top of the head when we're having a quiet cuddle. He enjoys a side-front hug or dorsal ventral in which case he oooozes down until he's flat on his back between my legs getting belly rubs.

He was so used to his hug routine that when I started stretching on the floor of the kitchen after running he thought it was cuddle time and thought he was being punished when I refused him. Go ahead, see how easy it is to touch your toes with a Border Collie curled up between your legs!!

He does not enjoy hugs from strangers. I think he feels trapped.

This is definitely not something I'd do with a strange dog but Riley loves this game. Sitting together I move in like I'm going to kiss his muzzle and he tries to get a lick in before I pull away. He tilts his head like he's pretending he's not going to fall for it but he has his eye rolled back looking at me then quick as a flash the head turns and out comes the tongue! I do a lot of kissing him on the top of the head when we're having a quiet cuddle. He enjoys a side-front hug or dorsal ventral in which case he oooozes down until he's flat on his back between my legs getting belly rubs.

He was so used to his hug routine that when I started stretching on the floor of the kitchen after running he thought it was cuddle time and thought he was being punished when I refused him. Go ahead, see how easy it is to touch your toes with a Border Collie curled up between your legs!!

He does not enjoy hugs from strangers. I think he feels trapped.

This is Pirate! Desertranger and Rileydog you know my needs too. I NEED my PET dogs to hug and cuddle, and let me kiss their muzzles, eyeball to eyeball forehead rests and the works. "fastest tounge in the east" so I have to plan accordingly. We have "snuggletime" which is our word for calm tolerance of my needs, and "bedtime" which means get on the bed and lie next to me, nose to nose, tail to toes. This is usually followed up with "hey get your smelly head off my pillow" from the DH.

As puppies, I do this mauling and close contact with them as if I was their mother, I am their mommy and their boss on all levels at all times. I will hold a muzzle in my mouth, and bite an ear. I am the Alpha dog, I am in charge, you can trust me, and I will adore you. Explicit trust building on both sides. I do believe dogs all need body contact, if they don't have a playmate or pack to get it from, they need it from us. For ADHD children, heavy weight is grounding, calming and helps the brain to focus. My son SEEKS pressure, bear hugs etc, when he feels disorganized. So does my dog.

Yep, I'm a mush. Might not be right, might be wrong for working dogs, who knows. My dogs, my needs. I would also likely hugs dogs in shelters if I felt able to safely, partly for them, partly for me.

Meg likes hugs and it is easy to know when the time is right.

I never have done face to face with any animal so no licking of face allowed.

I remember years ago I had a Springer spaniel a very laid back dog. He had an operation on his cruciate ligament and one day when he was getting back on his legs I lead him out to the front garden for a tiny walk. A little girl who lived opposite asked what was wrong with Brandy. I said he had an operation in hospital. At which point she rushed up to him and planted a huge kiss on his face . Having recovered I told her it was not a great idea to kiss dogs on their faces. Her little face looked up at me, eyes wide and she said ' but my Mummy always kisses me when I'm sick'..........I smiled!