BC Boards

Collars

Hi, I was wondering if you remove your dog's collar when he/she is in the house and/or overnight. I don't take off Meg's collar; it is quite a thin one and not tight but it just entered my head tonigh that maybe I should give her a break from it. I would prefer to leave it on all the time but if opinions of those with experience indicate it should be removed it is not a problem to do so. Thank you.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do. I know - if the house ever caught on fire and the dogs got loose I'd regret not having collars on them!

But I prefer for them to be collar-less in the house. I only put collars on them to go to training classes, or if we go on an outing off the property.

When I am going to take a dog or two out, they always know which one is going because the dog who is going gets a collar on!

If I go away and have a friend stay with them, I do put their collars on. Also, when we travel, I only remove their collars at night.

I've kept the collars on my dogs at all times, Kate got one the first day I got her and it does'nt bother her a bit. Why would you want to remove the collar? Just curious???

Because they can, and do, hang themselves. I've personally known a half-dozen or so who've died this way - granted, I know more dogs than most people, and that's over a thirty year span. But it happens.

I never leave a collar on my dogs unless it's a breakaway.

Collared but the one at most risk for getting caught by it wears a safety collar (breakaway by premier or the old knot-a-collar from Ruffwear) - it's the best of both worlds.

My dogs keep their collars on all of the time (well, except for when Pip went through a daily period of scrubbing his neck in sh!t--then I just left it off since I was scrubbing the dog and collar daily). I would have a hard time remembering to put all those collars back on! At any rate, I don't like a tight collar, so mine all have collars that can be pulled off over their heads. Phoebe sometimes pulls Pip's off him and then I have to go find it out in the yard. I suppose they could still get hung, even with loose collars, but I'd rather they have something that *looks* like they belong to somebody should they get out and get lost. They are tattooed and microchipped, but a collar is a clear indication that the dog belongs to someone. If I had just one or two dogs, I'd probably consider removing collars at night or whatever, but it's just more convenient for me to leave them on. Maybe some day I'll regret that choice, but for me the benefits outweigh the risks....

J.

Collars come off at night. If I remember to put them on the next morning, they are put on. If not, it's okay too.

Collars are really just taken off at night because if they walk around during the night there tags jingle.

Collars are really just taken off at night because if they walk around during the night there tags jingle.

If Daisy doesn't want her tags to jingle (i.e. getting into trouble) they don't. It really surprises me because sometimes I can hear them clear across to the other side of the house.

I get into trouble when I take her collar off. I do when I brush her and sometimes just let her go without until she goes outside. Apparently it's really confusing to the man of the house when he goes to put on a leash and there is no collar. :rolleyes:

Interesting replies about 50/50 . I don't understand the 'jingling' of tags. Meg has just one tag with her phone numbers on it. Do some of you need to have other tags as well?

I suppose it depends also on the size of your property and the possibility that the dog might stray into pastures new. I never leave her harness on as it is just for her seat belt in the car and the lady is not keen on it; she just tolerates it because it means a car trip.

Interesting replies about 50/50 . I don't understand the 'jingling' of tags. Meg has just one tag with her phone numbers on it. Do some of you need to have other tags as well?

I suppose it depends also on the size of your property and the possibility that the dog might stray into pastures new. I never leave her harness on as it is just for her seat belt in the car and the lady is not keen on it; she just tolerates it because it means a car trip.

When we go to local training classes, my dogs one tag on their collars, but when we travel, they all have their regular tag, rabies tag, and license tag on the collars. With four dogs wearing three tags each, that's quite a lot of jingling.

I started taking Sammie's tag off when he was an only dog because the jingling drove me nuts (at the time, he had four tags on his collar because he had a tag from the SPCA that we kept on him until we moved) and I guess I formed the habit then. I kept the collar in a cubbyhole by the front door, so when we were going to leave with him, it was right there to put on. In this house I have a rack with the four collars hanging on it.

It's really just my personal preference and it works in our situation.

Mine always wear their ring-in-the-middle collars with owner and phone number tag that is riveted on - no jingling and always identifiable. I feel that the benefits outweigh any remote risks for my dogs and my situation. We use the easily-scrubbed vinyl-covered Don Nix (can get them also from Bill Boatman) collars in case of a good roll in the poop-la, or any malodorous mess. They do have conventional collars but I never seem to use them. I carry rabies tags and registration tags with me (along with "lost dog" posters) when I travel with dogs.

My daughter takes off all collars when crating - her Ben hung himself when his dangling tag caught between the bars of his crate. If they hadn't been less than five minutes from an emergency vet clinic, Ben might not have made it (well, that and Lisa doing canine CPR all the way). She hangs the collar on the crate door and can just put it back on when the dog is released.

Thanks Rootbeer. Here in Ireland while we license our dogs(well some do) they do not need to wear a tag. Seems like a good idea that they should. Thankfully Rabies is not a problem here. In fact there is no need to wear any tag but responsible owners do have one with a phone number and the microchip number on it. Some put the dogs name as well but I don't do that as it would make it easier for someone to steal Meg if they could address her by name.

I now see how there could be much jingling !!

They should make special collars for doggies who need to wear 2 or 3 tags with an additional couple of spaced holes to separate the tags.Maybe I will start an 'Antijingle' company :rolleyes:

I like the thought of an anti jingle company. Alex does the nude (no collar) thing when we go to bed. I have to admit I have wondered if that would be a problem if we had a fire. She just seems much happier without it on.

Esox

Good Morning Everyone,

I take Daisy's collar off at night and when I am gone at work. Otherwise she has it on. I only have her one tag on her collar with name and phone #. I leave her collar and leash right by the back door in the event that we would need to rush out of the hosue.

For those with multiple tags, you can get little rubber edgers to go around the tag so that they don't jingle and rub the print off one another.

:rolleyes:

Hi, I was wondering if you remove your dog's collar when he/she is in the house and/or overnight. I don't take off Meg's collar; it is quite a thin one and not tight but it just entered my head tonigh that maybe I should give her a break from it. I would prefer to leave it on all the time but if opinions of those with experience indicate it should be removed it is not a problem to do so. Thank you.

Our dogs are always collarless in the house, our fenced yard and by water. One of the older dogs caught her tooth in a puppy's collar (15 years ago) and almost killed him trying to get away. Another of our BCs got hung up in tree roots in a river and almost drowned. Plus, I think there are too many things in the house they could catch their collars on. They are all micro-chipped so they can be identified if they do go missing.

Barb S

Collars only when leaving the property. No collars means they are on free time. Collars mean work. Besides I can't stand the jingly either. My dogs are chipped for ID and carry trackable GPS units when turned lose in the desert.

No collars almost all the time. Their collars live on the stickshift in my truck, and they only get put on when we go out to work, and that particular dog needs to be tied up while others work. Puppies have them on for training to walk on the leash and so forth, of course,

A

ETA: no tags on the collars

Here it's mandatory if you so much as walk out your front door that the dog has it's city license and rabies tag on. Obviously those are city bylaws, but it does make returning animals easier. Our rabies tags have the vet office number and the petlink number on them also so that it's again easier to return dogs. I do have a third tag for when we travel that has her name and my cell number on it.

By law Rabies, License and ID tags. There is a 4th tag the one with the RFID chip# on it. Jin has has 2/4 tags on his web collar and Mookie 3/4. No tags on chokers.

Senneca wears her collar day and night. If she were to slip out, I want to know she has her collar (and tags) on her. I'm not bothered by tag jingling -- she has a plastic tag in between metal ones, so you hardly hear any noise. As for the risk of the collar getting caught, I think it's unlikely at home or in the back yard and there's usually some one home with her.

Our dogs rarely wear their collars. Several years ago one of my dads farm dogs disappeared for almost a day. It was his routine to go on a walk around the local farms every morning around 4 am, many of the local farm dogs have this activity, it's like they want to see how everyone elses place is doing. Anyway, he came back w/ no collar on, caked in mud on one side and his back (his ear was filled w/ drying mud) and very neck, body sore. Upon inspection we found some raw skin and missing hair where the collar had been. We don't know for a fact but suspect that he was most likely caught up in undergrowth or a piece of equipment.

After going through that I just don't think that it is worth the risk. Luckily we live in the country where tags aren't required. Everyone is microchipped, I would rather be worried that someone else picked up my dog then wonder if they were hanging from a tree branch.

After going through that I just don't think that it is worth the risk. Luckily we live in the country where tags aren't required. Everyone is microchipped, I would rather be worried that someone else picked up my dog then wonder if they were hanging from a tree branch.

Been there, done that and I agree with you. Rather have them without collars.

Ditto on the "no collars when home alone." I personally know of two dogs whose collars got caught - and very sadly, one choked to death. Another one I knew got up on a wooden picnic bench (well, wider than the usual bench - he was a big guy!), the TAG went down between the boards, then when he went to get up, he could not! It was noted that he seemed to have a very sore neck, but no reason could be found....until the missing tag was found UNDER the bench. Poor guy.

My dogs' collars go on when we're traveling away from home, or on a walk other than our usual places - that's all.

diane