BC Boards

BC Quirks - what's yours?

When I fed Kate tonight she would'nt eat, she just ran around and barked at her food bowl. I could'nt figure out what the deal was, she seemed really aggitated and just kept barking at her bowl. Then it dawned on me what I had done, her bowl is two compartments, one for food one for water. I've always put it down with her water on the left and the food on the right but tonight I had it reversed. I turned it around with the water on the left like it usually is and she tore into her food and ate every bit of it. No big deal but I thought it was funny, just wondering what kind of funny quirks your dogs have? LOL

Matt

Weird dog.

Surra chsed dust motes everywhere.

Bas liked bubbles.

All of them loved water and would go into the pool on command but under duress. Lakes and rivers are a different story they love 'em.

Jin hasn't got his yet.

Skye is highly suspicious of ceiling fans and animal statuary. She is also scared of plastic bags but loves the mailman and pizza delivery man :D .

In the morning she thrives on her routine; after we get home from the a.m. walk, she must go out into the backyard first thing to check for squirrels and then its a sprint to her food bowl. If her food isn't there, she gets all weirded out :rolleyes: .

And ever since she found a popped tennis ball in the river, she now goes in searching for them, moving suspicious objects with her paw and putting her face underwater to check it out.

Ailsa

And ever since she found a popped tennis ball in the river, she now goes in searching for them, moving suspicious objects with her paw and putting her face underwater to check it out.

That's familiar behavior.

Bas would vocally argue with us. If he didn't want to do something he would stand there and let us know it. Talk back to him and the argument would continue.

Is this a for 5 minbutes of a full half hour? (esoteric Monty Python reference.)

Kaycee has a major facination with shoes. I work in the EMS field and as soon as I take my "stinky" boots off in the morning after working 12 hours on the street, she dives face first into them for a good 5 minutes - YUCK :rolleyes:

Also loves to chase and eat blowing leaves around the yard

Then gets her "cherrios" on and starts making a mad dash around the house, up on the couch, jump to the other couch and do it all over again for about 10 minutes. Can't stop her once shes in motion....

Oh, I could write a book. Much as I'd like to, though, it would be woefully inadequate in light of some dogs' antics...for instance, I'd be willing to bet that RDM's would probably be a New York Times bestseller. :rolleyes:

Some of Barra's more entertaining "things" are:

-blowing bubbles with her nose into a full water dish

-completely submerging herself in an attempt to find the 'perfect' river rock

-killing any and every unsuspecting snowman she can find

-burying herself under the cushions on my couch during a thunderstorm

-sucking cherry tomatoes right out of their skins

:D

Seek gets afraid of statues, sometimes signage (construction work). One day at the park there was a statue of a girl, Seek barked at it and went in circles around it growling, I couldn't help but laugh at her.

She also will lick the bed sheets. I'll tell her to stop, her tongue will stop immediately. The funny thing is her tongue will still be out of her mouth, under her jaw and still on the sheets. She'll stare at me without moving her head, just her eyes. So funny. One morning when I woke up she had licked a huge area of her side of the bed, I realized this after I rolled over on the big wet spot. :rolleyes: She also loves the smell of clean laundry.

My Conner would not sit in the front seat. On a trip to Indiana I had the back seat down and loaded with suit cases and her crate etc. I put her in the front seat. For 30 minutes she whined and pawed at the back seat trying to move things. I knew I couldn't handle that for the entire 3 1/2 hour trip so the suitcase came up front and she went to the back...peace and quite the rest of the way. She also wouldn't go in the kitchen to save her life! I had to feed her in the dining room!

Ed has to have a mid dinner wee. He'll eat half, sit by the door til I let him out, then straight back in to finish his dinner off. Also, if he knows we're going out he'll go round the house bringing a selection of toys, my door keys and shoes (slobber included...nice!) but won't physically bring his lead....he just sits and stares at it....??

xx

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but what many of you call "quirks" are actually normal behaviors. In fact, to NOT do any of these things would be a real quirk.

For example, I won't start eating until the other two start, even if I'm really hungry. It's because I try to get what is in their bowls before they get it. One won't let me, of course. She always pushes me back to my bowl. But I have to see them eating before I will eat. That is when I finally give up on getting their food before they do.

And again, begging everyone's pardon, but that is not a quirk. That is a sensible, precautionary measure taken to get as much food as I can.

And I bark at my image in the mirror. You think there isn't an parallel universe in there? Think again!

I am fairly new to these boards, but I thought the whole reason for these boards was to find and post information and interesting stories about our BC. You may very well be right that these "quirks" are normal behaviors, BUT NOT TO EVERY BC. I'm sure most would agree with me that these type stories are intersting and entertaining at times. Thats what there ment for -- FUN. I don't think it was necessary to correct everyone, when we know all BC have some type of "quirk" that is normal for THEM.

Thanks everyone for your stories -- they were great!!!! :rolleyes:

IMG_4581.jpg

I'm sure most would agree with me that these type stories are intersting and entertaining at times. Thats what there ment for -- FUN. I don't think it was necessary to correct everyone, when we know all BC have some type of "quirk" that is normal for THEM.

Thanks everyone for your stories -- they were great!!!! :rolleyes:

I didn't mean any offense. I was just joking. Of course the stories are fun.

Sue

I am fairly new to these boards, but I thought the whole reason for these boards was to find and post information and interesting stories about our BC. You may very well be right that these "quirks" are normal behaviors, BUT NOT TO EVERY BC. I'm sure most would agree with me that these type stories are intersting and entertaining at times. Thats what there ment for -- FUN. I don't think it was necessary to correct everyone, when we know all BC have some type of "quirk" that is normal for THEM.

Huh?! :rolleyes: I think you misread that post.

I didn't mean any offense. I was just joking. Of course the stories are fun.

Sue

Don't apologize. There was nothing offensive about your post. I thought it was cute. The downside to the written word--too easy to misinterpret as opposed to the spoken word with it's tone and inflections.

I have a sweet, sweet BC boy. He has a funny quirk - only poops in his yard ( and in his specially designated place). Every once in a while he will do it when on a particularily long hike - but really prefers his own personal spots. You should hear how proud my husband and I are when he does it away from home. Good grief. Plus for me - no pooper bags on the walk around the neighborhood. The other thing - for both the dogs - they think that when you are on the toilet - it is a perfect, I mean PERFECT time for you to scratch their butts. They both will jockey to back them in. No privacy at all.

The other thing - for both the dogs - they think that when you are on the toilet - it is a perfect, I mean PERFECT time for you to scratch their butts. They both will jockey to back them in. No privacy at all.

Owning a bc definitely equals never being alone in the bathroom. :rolleyes:

Owning a bc definitely equals never being alone in the bathroom. :D

Oh yes you can, if you're rude enough to insist! I'll gladly die for either of my dogs but I want that door SHUT when it's time for number two. Then again, now that I think about it - there was a time when I used to shut it for number one as well!...creepy little buggers! :rolleyes: