BC Boards

Benefits or busts of more than one BC

We got Lexi at 9 weeks last September and have a 11 year old at home. At first Lexi spent all of her time nipping my older one, to the point where she really did not like her. She was jealous and confused and I am sure wished we sent Lexi back! To make a long story short, my older one never did warm up to Lexi and gets annoyed with her. Lexi wants to play and initiates it every day to no avail. Lexi seems to be a very dominant personality so I think it is hard on my older one. Just in the past week after Lexi's spay, the two of them started playing more. I think basically it was just new toys I had bought that interested both of them. My older one, Sparky, has hip and kidney issues and can't run like she used to. In her mind she still does everything that Lexi does.

I wish I had gotten another dog years ago so the age difference would not have been such a big deal. But years ago, I never would have met the other love of my life in Lexi. I try to promote togetherness and love but I sometimes think I am wishing for too much. That part makes me sad.

This is a great question/topic! Our BC, Kaycee will be 6 months at the end of the month. She is our first BC. (I say first for a reason...).

We currently have a GS/Dingo mix, Dixie, who is about 12-13 yrs old. Dixie is a very sweet, well behaved dog. She didn't quite know what to make of Kaycee. She would let Kaycee herd her and nip at her. She's a very submissive dog. We actually had to teach her that t was okay for her to warn Kaycee when she's had enough. Neither my Husband nor I have ever had a BC before. We did about 6 months worth of research into the breed before we decided to get a BC. We wanted to make sure that we were both prepared for this breed of dog as well as a good match.

I love my Kaycee!!! She had brought soo much happiness to our house! I can't tell you how much she has made me laugh (we're talkin Belly Laughs) in the past 6 months! She has totally sold me on this breed forever! We are converts! We plan on getting another after our Dixie escapes this life for the huge pasture full of bunnies to chase and an endless supply of Frosty Paws in the sky (Dixie's version f doggie heaven). It should be good timing for Kaycee then. We figure we have about 3-5 more good years left with Dixie. That would make the age difference between Kaycee and another pup about 4-5 years. I look forward to the many crazy BC years I have ahead of me! It really does seem like BC's are like potato chips, ya can't have just one! :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this question!

I wouldn't go back to having only one, even if I could do so without causing anyone pain. I do miss the time when it was just Kessie and me, but it wasn't really "just" us, as there was always my mum in the background (a much more cheerful personality than I am). If Kessie had to look after me all by herself...I don't know, the thought makes me feel a little claustrophobic.

It's also much easier leaving two dogs home alone than just one, even if they don't really do much with one another.

On the downside, certain dangers like hunters or cars make me more nervous with two dogs than they did with one. I trust both of them (Kessie completely, Kyla very much but a little less than Kessie), but they still need guidance with human-caused dangers, and it was a lot easier keeping an eye on just one.

One huge plus is the competition between them in games. Kessie wants more from life than playing ball, and I haven't been able to find something that suits both of us (apart from clambering around on mountains, but we can't do that every day). Being able to snatch the ball before Kyla gets it adds a lot of spice to the game. As for Kyla, I think she enjoys chasing Kessie with the ball almost more than she enjoys chasing just the ball. They both run a lot faster than they do when playing on their own.

Same goes for search games (especially when the hidden treasures are edible - man, do they get into a hurry to find them first! :rolleyes: ) and similar stuff.

He is a love and seems particularly devoted to me according to my husband and kids. I just don't think I have ever had a dog look to me so much. Pipe was my constant companion and was extraordinarily biddable, but Colt just feels different. I don't know how to explain it. I think I'd sound flakey if I tried.

I think I know what you mean. It sounds like me and Alex. I won't even tell you guys what my husband calls him, to tease me about Alex's utter devotion to me! :rolleyes: But, anyway, we have three dogs, and Alex is still like that. I'm not entirely sure if Colt will change, even with the addition of another dog. He might, though, there's just no way to know.

solo river said...then someone else is rubbing a dingleberry off on the floor.

LOL... and I thought only my kids used that term, and that only rabbits had dingleberries! LOL!