BC Boards

Where does your dog sleep?

Never had a domination problem with BCs over furniture or the bed. It wasn't until we got a rough collie that the we finally got a furniture dog. Funny while Mookie naps on the bed she sleeps by the bedroom door or on the sofa.

Jin sleeps on the bed and BCs have always been allowed on the bed. They just have to understand it's a share thing and they're subject to being kicked and rolled the same way my wife is :rolleyes::D :D "Stupid dogs!!! Move over!!!"

I think the problem with BCs on the bed is that Glynnis liked to watch. Imagine getting the eye doing this and that.

Scooter sleeps around! :D He prefers the leather sofa in the basement or the recliner in the office, but we're just as likely to find him lying in the foyer on the hardwood floor--he can keep an eye on all three entrances that way! :rolleyes: He's never been allowed in the bedroom, hence, the bed has never been an issue either. Christmas day however, while we were opening our gifts in the bedroom (I put a tree in there--very romantic!) :D DH invited Scooter in. He was very hesitant. He knows that room is off limits, but DH insisted and finally carried him in and set him on the bed. Ohhh...he looked like he was in heaven. I think he could get into that sleeping with us thing if we gave him the least bit of encouragement. I figure he has the run of the rest of the house--that's my space. :D

Our old feral beagle/kelpie Mama Dog takes over the downstairs at night time. After dinner she goes up stairs and sleeps in Boot's crate until about 9:30, if we haven't headed to bed yet, she lumbers downstairs and sits in the middle of the room and stares/glares at us. Once we head up she takes over the couch and typically doesn't move until the a.m. when we take back over the downstairs portion of the house. Recently her routine has been interrupted by me taking the fosters out around 3 am to potty, man I've gotten some nasty looks from Mama Dog.

The boys all sleep in our room. Renoir is always on the bed, typically in between us, we've resorted to using two different comfortors so that we are both covered all night. And Boots and Smudge rotate between the crate and foot of the bed. We've never had any dominance issues from letting them on the bed, they've all gotten kicked out the second they even think about it. The fosters are starting to have fits thinking that they should be done w/ crates and move up the social chain into the bed. We have been letting the come up, invite only, while we read, but for our sake of trying not to get too attached and not knowing what their future will bring them, they aren't allowed to sleep on the bed.

Solo has never slept on the bed. I have even tried to train him to sleep on the bed (as in giving him treats to get him to stay on the bed, etc.) but he won't do it. He will come up for cuddle time, briefly, but when he's done he jumps off of his own accord. He prefers to sleep on the hardwood floor outside the bedroom in various places, and sometimes he sleeps in a recliner in the great room that has a dog blanket on it. We now refer to that chair as "Solo's chair" because it's facing away from the TV and neither of us uses it anyway. Solo always needs to know where I am, and appears instantly when I wake up, but for some reason he must have his space when sleeping.

Fly usually sleeps in a corner of the bedroom but sometimes prefers the dog bed in the great room. For those of you with good memories, this is the uber-expensive all-recycled-materials super-supportive dog bed that I bought for Solo but that he has only ever deigned to use as a pillow. I am glad that Fly likes it and gets something out of it. When I first got Fly she slept on the bed with me, but at some point she decided she wasn't into that anymore.

Jett slept in a crate until she was about four months old. Then I started letting her sleep on the bed, so she could sleep out but I'd still know if she needed to go out. Well, she is a GREAT bed sleeper -- she curls up like a little rock and doesn't move all night, or wake up until I do. I let her sleep on the bed all the time until I moved in with my now-husband, and now Jett sleeps on the bed only when he works nights. When we're both home I prefer not to have dogs in bed with us. I am sure that Jett would love to still be sleeping on the bed all the time, since she usually curls up halfway under the bed as close to one of us as she can get, but she'll live.

During the day, Fergie sleeps in her big wing-back soft chair in the den. Unless she decides to sleep on the couch. Her chair has a special cover over the seat cushion. It's supposed to come off when we have company who might prefer a hairless seat. But it's my two sons-in-law who end up in that chair at family gatherings. And they each like dog hair so don't remove the cover/

At night, Fergie has a big sheepy-type pad below my side of the bed. She usually sleeps there. But, especially if I throw my spare pillow on her, she moves to Chuck's side.

We have only a double bed - in Europe called a "matrimonial" bed. So there's not much room for us and a 50-lb dog.

But, if one of us is sick and stays in bed during the day, Ferg is up on the bed. Despite the difficulty for an arthritic 13-year-old pup. She is the official nurse dog.

And when and if we lose power and have no heat except the fireplace, we sleep on the sofa-bed in front of the fire - with Ferg up there for extra warmth.

I'm much the same as most others. Adult dogs get to sleep where they like (although I shut off half the house so the cat can have her space at night). My puppy Rory, as with the others when they were pups, is in a crate beside my bed so I know when I need to take him out at night. If I'm having a sleep-in at the weekend, I leave him free once we've been outside and he's emptied out. He comes galloping in through the house from wherever he's been, and lands on the bed for a little cuddle - sometimes he will then settle on the bed for a snooze - other times he goes into the spare crate in the bedroom. Kirra will start the night on my bed, but then usually goes to the dog bed on the floor on the other side of my bed.

I totally agree, though, about watching for and dealing with any signs of resource guarding. The acid test is whether the dog willl leave whatever furniture he's on when asked. If he will, there's no problem as far as I can see.