BC Boards

Just Say No

Hi everyone,

I have had experience with the female side of breeding horses, dogs, & sheep, but for the first time ever I have an intact male dog "of breeding age" and am starting to get emails, phone calls, etc from people asking if they can use my "stud dog". These inquires are of course NOT from stock dog people, but rather first time bc owners, people who ask only "what color" my boys are, etc. People I would NEVER consider letting them use my boy/s. Anyways, I am intrested in how other people handle this problem. If you have a web site to you put on it - "not available to out side bitches" and how much educating do you try to do or do you JUST SAY NO.

Margaret

I took a look at your website and it is my impression that you are advertising your dogs "at stud". Perhaps you could change your language to state your requirements....you might attract more working candidates if you advertise a higher level of achievement than pedigree.

I too have a website, but I almost never get the kind of inquiries you describe.

Margaret

I took a look at your website and it is my impression that you are advertising your dogs "at stud". Perhaps you could change your language to state your requirements....you might attract more working candidates if you advertise a higher level of achievement than pedigree.

I too have a website, but I almost never get the kind of inquiries you describe.

Thanks for your input - I'm already working to try and change that "impression" on the web site. I would have never thought to contact someone unless they used the words "Stud Dog" or "at stud", but different people interpret the same info in different ways. Anyways, what made me think to post this issue was the color discussion as the last person to contact me by email was wanting to breed to a "chocolate dog", but I was also apprached by the mail carrier (for a friend of a friend) last week - asking if any of the bc's where stud dog & I have no sign addvertising the dogs on the property, only the horses. 2 random requires in the same week makes me think I need to change something....

If you truly don't want inquiries this works for me:

My dogs home page

Plus I list no contact info. The only people I come in contact with to even ask is at trials.

Hi Denise,

your top paragraph is very clearly/well worded. I don't want inquries about my boy - Thank you, your web page gives me some good idea about what I can change on my website.