BC Boards

Scooter eats like a bird

We recently put up a bird feeder in our back yard and Scooter likes to eat the birdseed that has fallen to the ground. Is this safe? Is he likely to pick up some disease, since there are probably bird droppings mixed in, and will he have problems digesting the seeds? It's the first place he heads for now when he goes outside! :rolleyes:

We recently put up a bird feeder in our back yard and Scooter likes to eat the birdseed that has fallen to the ground. Is this safe? Is he likely to pick up some disease, since there are probably bird droppings mixed in, and will he have problems digesting the seeds? It's the first place he heads for now when he goes outside! :rolleyes:

If he doesn't digest them, they'll go straight through. I don't know of anything in bird seed that would be an issue. I definitely don't like the idea of eating bird droppings, but I know that Senneca thinks duck poop is very nice and I literally have to drag her away when we are at the park.

Years ago I had a dog who liked to eat around the feeder. I don't recommend it. My dog ended up spending two nights at the vets after becoming viciously sick. I think the combo of spoiled seed, bird droppings and squirrel droppings was just a bit too much for even that hound. I threw out the feeder and dug up all the guano while he was recuperating at the vet's.

My dogs eat the whole-grain (not pellets) chicken feed all the time. It comes out looking just like it went in... They also eat chicken turds like they're a rare delicacy. We've never had any problems.

I do, however, wish that they'd generalise "Don't eat chicken poop!" to ALL the chicken turds, not just the one currently in front of their faces.

Maggie ate tons of birdseed when we lived with my parents with no ill effects, but the droppings can contain some icky stuff (bacteria wise), so now if I was putting up a feeder I might try to block that area off from the dogs.