BC Boards

Looking for a well bred red head

Am looking for a well bred red head border collie. I do agility. I normally get my dogs from working lines, let them know what i'm looking for (agility dog with good temperment/structure) and let them pick the dog that would best suit me. I do NOT breed, both my boys are nuetered- and I do dabble in herding (I take them to an instructor, and watch her handle them)- but they are mostly agility dogs. While i absolutely adore my boys, I have been wanting a red head for a very long time- and find it difficult to find a well bred one. Using my method of having the breeder select my dog has worked very well, but my current "colors" are black/white and red tri merle- both perfect, but neither my first "color" pick- but since that is the last of my criteria, and the breeding is more important, it usually is deferred.

I do look at rescues, but find few red heads- especially that would do well in agility (sensitivity /nervousness issues), or size/ structure issues.

Feel free to pm me with any details.

I'm located in PA.

Shaneen

Shaneen, your problem is that you can't sign up for a red in a litter unless the breeder has put two reds together - which would automatically raise "red" flags (ha!) for me as to motive. Red is something that can't be predicted for sure (though sometimes a breeder will have an idea of whether the cross is likely to produce reds, from past experience). And good litters are generally sold before they hit the ground, if not before the mating is done!

I can kind of understand wanting some feature - my dream pup would be a strongly ticked deep tri, as far as looks. But if the crosses that I need don't have that as a possibility, I don't go looking elsewhere and "settle" in favor of the markings that attract me. I don't think I've ever gotten just the type of dog that appealed to me at anytime. I'm in an "atypical" phase - I've had classic looking dogs for a while now and think a flashy dog would be kind of neat (maybe a red, for that matter, :rolleyes: ) - but the things that are really important at this time are a certain working style, a certain level of biddability.

LOL! The subject line looked like it belonged in the personals somewhere! :rolleyes:

:D:D When I first read the title I thought "What the heck is a 'well bred red head'?" :D

Shaneen, it might be better to focus on finding dogs with temperments and working ability that you like, rather than just looking for a red dog.

lol- i'm a red head too. But i prefer the four footed variety! I do know I need to be on a waiting list, but that is why I am looking now! I'm not looking to buy a pup this minute, but looking for the proper kennel, that has produced red/whites, has a very high standard, and i kinda expect a wait list. Lol. Thanx for any suggestion.

i completly agree about the color scheme. Red is recessive, why breed it too exclusively? I prefer reds from at least one black/white parent.

Shaneen

lol- i'm a red head too. But i prefer the four footed variety! I do know I need to be on a waiting list, but that is why I am looking now! I'm not looking to buy a pup this minute, but looking for the proper kennel, that has produced red/whites, has a very high standard, and i kinda expect a wait list. Lol. Thanx for any suggestion.

i completly agree about the color scheme. Red is recessive, why breed it too exclusively? I prefer reds from at least one black/white parent.

Shaneen

Shaneen, thats why I got a red. Talk about smart, and she wears the ducks out. Even swimming in the lake after them, and when she gets close, they just swin faster. She will do it for hours. I use to worry she would tire our, but she was always in the middle of the lake and there was nothing I could do. Just look around Ken

Am looking for a well bred red head border collie. I do agility. I normally get my dogs from working lines, let them know what i'm looking for (agility dog with good temperment/structure) and let them pick the dog that would best suit me. I do NOT breed, both my boys are nuetered- and I do dabble in herding (I take them to an instructor, and watch her handle them)- but they are mostly agility dogs. While i absolutely adore my boys, I have been wanting a red head for a very long time- and find it difficult to find a well bred one. Using my method of having the breeder select my dog has worked very well, but my current "colors" are black/white and red tri merle- both perfect, but neither my first "color" pick- but since that is the last of my criteria, and the breeding is more important, it usually is deferred.

I do look at rescues, but find few red heads- especially that would do well in agility (sensitivity /nervousness issues), or size/ structure issues.

Feel free to pm me with any details.

I'm located in PA.

Shaneen

OK, I have to ask as I went back to all the old posts of yours and they are "wiped out".

Now, if I recall you had a male conformation dog - Troy? What happened to him? Is he finished now and neutered? Why did you wipe out all the nasty, controversial, sister posts?

Call me skeptical but after all you said previously and now your looking for a color dog? Hopefully I am wrong and you're not looking for color to breed Troy to and "asking" here..... I'd be delighted to be wrong, show me the post, please.

Color breds are easy to find a simple Google search will hand you more than you wanted.

Karen

OK, I have to ask as I went back to all the old posts of yours and they are "wiped out".

Now, if I recall you had a male conformation dog - Troy? What happened to him? Is he finished now and neutered? Why did you wipe out all the nasty, controversial, sister posts?

Call me skeptical but after all you said previously and now your looking for a color dog? Hopefully I am wrong and you're not looking for color to breed Troy to and "asking" here..... I'd be delighted to be wrong, show me the post, please.

Color breds are easy to find a simple Google search will hand you more than you wanted.

Karen

;-D it may be difficult to breed anyone- they are both neutered! :rolleyes: As for color breds- I did google, but i also read on this board that websites can tell you anything- so dont trust them- and i was looking for some knowleged input! Thanx for any info! If I was looking for candy colors, or breeding them- I wouldnt have neutered my tri red merle. and no, wasnt looking for a merle, didnt even know he was tri, the breeder whose stud/bitch i had admired picked him out for me as the best candidate for an agility home- she did good! :D He is from a dog named Tye-Dyed whom i'm told is a pretty well known cattle herding border collie. Most of her dogs go on to be stock dogs.

Ps. These rescue guys are hard to get too. I've tried to get 2 different ones, one was adopted by the person fostering him, one was already adopted but the webpage hadn't been updated yet.

lol- um, i'm not sure what post you want to be shown, and i honestly dont remember many of the things discussed. Apologies if this sounds like a copout! but i have little memory! :D And i'm "technically" young. :-o

speaking of color breds- Aslan (the red merle tri) is from a black/white dam, and a black tri merle stud. She had reds, red tri, black, black tri, blue merle tri, blue merle, red merle tri, red merle..... talk about unexpected variety!

Shaneen