BC Boards

Agility Update

So class was last night. Diesel goes first and he did great - he remembered everything except the tire - he was all kinds of leary at that. He did seem nervous, he kept wanting to run away from me (to the door I presume) when we had standing around time (ie. instructor talking, or taking turns) so I just kept him on a leash for that so I didn't have to watch him like a hawk so much to keep him with me. I'm going to assume he'll settle down after a few more classes. This is a new behaviour from last time. It prolly doesn't help that he gets a scolding when he starts eyeballing obstacles from the side and barn posts. I think he forgot he's not supposed to mark in the barn - and I even stopped just as he was starting to pee on the a pole last night - got the floor instead - whew!

Aero was next and was really attentive at the beginning of the hour. I realized he doesn't have a very quick sit and is easily distracted if he thinks there are more treats on the ground. So I'm going to switch treats mid class to up the ante and work on immediate sits. His stay is awesome however. :rolleyes:

Yeah! Sounds like fun. Keep us posted on how well Aero does. I occationally do back to backs with mine. Grady first then Lucia. It's nice to have the beginner dog first because when I start to lose patients, I can switch to the more advance dog :D Grady is 10 months and still a very short span of self control :rolleyes:

That sounds amazing! I wish I had a nice stay on Rush lol, she is with everything normally, and especially good at dinner time and cant be tempted in anyway to move, but in agility its all *creep creep creep* and *break startline* lol. You should take videos! I would love to see them in action.

Diane

So cool! I'm jealous, as we're still waiting a bit longer to start. At the dog park we have low tires and I tried to get Odin to hop through one of those - no doing! He was also very leery. The A-frame as well - no way he's going ON that thing, only laying down underneath it. He will tunnel and go over the low bar jumps, though. :rolleyes:

I had posted video of River from 2 years ago with a crappy run (my fault of course) but I don't think I have it online anymore. Diesel will be the dog who breaks the start out of all my dogs. He can barely contain himself not to run to me so I can take photos of him. I was however impressed that he stayed so well in class last night. He also impressed me by remembering how to do the obstacles we worked on (no teeter/weaves/tire last night) both sending away and calling him through. Now if I can just stop saying 'good boy' every three seconds. :rolleyes:

Diesel was totally fine and not the least bit stressed in class last night. And he's very enthusiastic about the obstacles... just a little too velcro with the jumps, since I'm pulling him off them as I go around them, hehe. We'll work on that - and actually using my arms to direct. I forget he's not River who I no longer need to use my arms for straight on obstacles, I just run.