BC Boards

another food question

Most of what goes in his kong is his kibble which is part of his daily allowance ! I rehydrate(?!) it and mash it up with some dried fish ( a tiny amount ), that you can get here in Japan.It makes it a bit yummier. I put a bit of chopped boilded chicken or liver at the bottom and sometimes a little bit of cheese and then a biscuit wedged in at the top.Very occassionally I'll put a bit of beef or heart or something else at the bottom. He gets a kong a day so it can't be too "rich" or "unhealthy". To hydrate the kibble I put it in a little container with a bit of water ( to cover the kibble ) the night before and stick that in the fridge. Easy ! He won't eat frozen kongs which I know a lot of people give, so he gets room temp' ones. I didn't say hello before - welcome. I'm a Brit too - just exiled :rolleyes: I'm from Hampshire originally.

Nellie will usually get her kongs full of some of her kibble and pumpkin. We freeze it and she really enjoys it, and it takes a while for her to finish it.

I would recommend trying different things to see what she will like the best. We tried the kong peanut butter spray in it and she totally hated that.

Don't feel bad about asking so many questions, that is how you learn.

Oh Welcome to the boards.

We all have been novices to begin with (and some of us still are in many ways!). It's never a bad thing to ask questions and try to improve your knowledge for the sake of your dog.

For pumpkin, just use canned or cooked pumpkin (not pie filling). Actually, canned pumpkin is really generally cooked winter squash of one variety or another so any form of cooked winter squash should be a reasonable substitute if you do your own.

If you freeze some of her dry food (kibble, if you feed kibble) in the kong in a mixture of some pumpkin and broth, it will last quite some time. Just use part of her daily food allowance and let this funtime be mealtime, as well.

I would suggest feeding that in a crate or other "less mess" situation. I'm not meaning to say it's necessarily messy but to avoid any problems, feed it where any potential clean-up is quick and easy, just in case...

Best wishes!

for the summer, you can try pouring some chicken or beef broth (or whatever flavour you prefer) into the kong, and plug up that little hole with some peanut butter. then put it in the freezer and give it to the dog the next day. I recently heard that and wanted to try it last night, but I couldn't find Jake's kong, so I poured some in a cup and froze that instead, lol (I took the "popsicle" out of the cup today). Jake actually loved it, but I think he'd get more out of it being inside a kong, lol

Thanks for all the great ideas will try them. I especially think the freexing idea is worth a shot.

Have mixed dry food with peanut butter spray and plugged hole with cheese then put in freezer. I hope this will keep her busy as she has lost 3 teeth this week and so is getting more chewy to get her big teeth through.

I will let you know how we get on.

Vikki

PS We went out for our first walk to the beach today she was on her extending leash and had a wonderful time meeting lots of new people, she is very wary of other dogs but I am hoping the puppy classes will help that.