BC Boards

Choking on food??

JaderBug

Lately Jade has been having a hard time when she eats- she sounds like she's choking or something. She starts kind of coughing or something similar to that, I'm not really sure I can describe it. I'm assuming she's choking on her food, but she doesn't seem to be inhaling it, there is definitely chewing involved. She snaps out of it fairly quickly, but it's somewhat alarming when she's in the middle of it. Is this something to be concerned about? Is there something I need to do differently? Any suggestions?

Take her to the vet. When our dog started choking I took her and that is when we found that she had a tumor pushing against here esophagus. I most certainly do not think that this is your dogs problem, but choking is not normal and should be investigate.

Good Luck.

One of my dogs will start reverse sneezing sometimes when she eats. No clue why, but she's done it on and off for years. Is it possible it could be that? It sounds a bit like they are choking when they do it. One of our vets always tells people to google it to see if its what their dog is doing.

AND, I think if you look on you tube there is a video link for reverse sneezing so you can hear what they are describing. Daisy's done it a few times. It doesn't sound like what Jade is doing, but sometimes when I am working on Daisy's recall, she gets a little to "gung-ho" about it and starts coughing because she won't slow down to eat her treat. I would maybe take her to the vet to make sure there isn't anything really wrong with her though.